Fishing pilots and destinations thread ..

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
I love to fish, and love to fly, so here's a fly-fishing thread. ;)

Would you share some killer fishing spots that are flying friendly?

Anybody just like to talk about fishing? :arf:

Rock Creek Montana. Airstrip right across the street from the lodge. Watch out during Testicle Festival.

I'm not even going to ask.. :yikes:

I'll tell you anyway. Rock Creek is one of the best trout streams in America. Fly fishing only, from the bank... no rafts. Rock Creek Lodge is on the creek, right on I-90. Every year as a warm up to Sturgis they have the "Testicle Festival" at the lodge where the main menu item is Rocky Mountain oysters. Usually, several varieties of biker gangs are there, public nudity and sex, drunks galore. A few years back on patron was so hammered, he walked in front of a train.

http://testyfesty.com

King salmon, silver salmon, rainbow trout, and grayling in the creek in my cabin's front yard. My favorite destination!

I'll tell you anyway. Rock Creek is one of the best trout streams in America. Fly fishing only, from the bank... no rafts. Rock Creek Lodge is on the creek, right on I-90. Every year as a warm up to Sturgis they have the "Testicle Festival" at the lodge where the main menu item is Rocky Mountain oysters. Usually, several varieties of biker gangs are there, public nudity and sex, drunks galore. A few years back on patron was so hammered, he walked in front of a train.

http://testyfesty.com

We will avoid the testicle spectacle! :redface:

I like the sound of Rock Creek. On the list for our long intended cross country.

Check out the Bahamas for Bonefish. Aviation friendly with airports scattered throughout the islands. All lodges are primarily accessed by air but private flying beats the scheduled service by quite a bit. I started on Andros which is close-in, big, and has more bone fishing than one can handle. Fished 3 straight days and didn't see another boat after leaving the dock.

Did 4 days on Cat Island which has limited fishing but lunched over on Staniel Cay at the yacht club where I discovered Bonefish Creek which seems to run under the runway. Lunch and a Bone anyone?

Bonefish in Bonefish Creek

There's a reason Bonefishing is a fly fishing favorite. It helps to start with a guide spotting fish for you on a flats boat. But DIY trips on the out islands like Long island is what I'm chasing now. With practice you can spot and pickup Bones on your own without another fisherman in sight.

And then there's Florida with more airports than anywhere else I've seen and lots of access to Tarpon. The giants are still there in big numbers.

I'm a trout guy myself but I'm becoming open minded.

In Texas? Point it south. Fly fishing the Intercoastal for Reds is great fun. Port O'Conner is high on my list of favorite fishing spots.

They are snagging kings in the fishing hole on the Homer spit. Big snagging hooks flying through the air, could be real hazardous to testicles and fingers. I saw one guy get hooked in the hand Friday.

Back