FIS-B NEXRAD

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Received this on the ground the other day, is the overlay typically more complete when airborne?

Received this on the ground the other day, is the overlay typically more complete when airborne?

Not sure what you're asking? Are you wondering if the radar picture is more high-res aloft? No. FIS-B is about the equivalent of a dial-up AOL radar chart circa late 90s.

There's some comparisons of FIS-B, XM, and others received via the Internet floating around the Net somewhere. I can't find the link right now.

There's also a chart showing the colors chosen for each represent wildly different levels of precipitation because of differences in the number of bits available for the colors.

> Received this on the ground the other day, is the overlay typically more complete when airborne?

Yes. The black blocks are the intensity up link data was missed. On the ground you may miss a broadcast containing the data. Depending on the received signal integrity, it may take awhile to catch enough broadcasts to complete the data set.

The other thing to mention is regional and national nexrad info. National is much lower resolution.

> Received this on the ground the other day, is the overlay typically more complete when airborne?

Yes. The black blocks are the intensity up link data was missed. On the ground you may miss a broadcast containing the data. Depending on the received signal integrity, it may take awhile to catch enough broadcasts to complete the data set.

Thanks! I kinda figured that was the deal. I haven't flown it yet and not really sure what to expect as far as upload time and coverage. I'm not yet instrument rated so don't typically see much on the internet radars when I'm airborne, FIS-B is completely new to me.

Last edited:
Back