First year camping with plane ?'s

n20junkie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Farmer
So I have flown a plane to Airventure 2 times, both hard IFR with IFR arrivals to the show. The aircraft was a friend of mines, and usually we leave the plan in antique parking, and sleep in the university dorms. This year I am planning on taking my own (C-150) and my Fiancee. Its our first airplane trip, and I want to camp with the plane this year. I have never camped with the aircraft, so I have a few questions.
We plan on bringing our own food for the first few days, light stuff of course. So my questions:

When your in aircraft camping, roughly how far is it to facilities like Porta-Johns, camping stores, and stuff like that?

What is it like at night in aircraft camping. We are young, and would like to hang out with some young people that might want a drink or two. Is the aircraft camping social at all?

And lastly, any, and I mean any tips for those that have done it. We are leaving from Buffalo NY, and I am very very exxcited this year. My Fiancee is as well. I am currently in Afghanistan, 3rd tour, and this is kind of my/our welcome home vacation and alone time. I really want this to go as good as it can. So major things to bring/consider that you wouldn't know about if you have never camped would be great. Thank you so much.

Grant

Bring only the bare minimum (staying w/i W&B on the C-150 will demand that). There's a Walmart in town and a Target within walking distance from the North 40. A lot of aircampers buy a cheap tent and chairs after they arrive and chunk them in the dumpster upon departure.

Distance to conveniences is highly dependent on your parking spot location.

It's unavoidable to meet likeable people camping at Airventure. Don't let age be a filter. Unless the typical thunderstorm is present expect a cookout or two every few hundred yards.

If you can't hook up with anyone to make a run to town come by the WarBird area and I'll see that someone takes care of you. Just ask for my wife Mary at WB registration and she'll relay the message. We'd be honored to help out one who serves.

Short answer:

You're never really far from a port-a-john. If you camp in the north 40, it can be a hike to the showers depending on where you end up, but there's a bus that circles the 9/27 runway that will give you a lift. Most of us put a quarter in the donation box on the bus whenever we ride it. There are a couple of locations on the bus route that drop you to where you can walk to the nearby shopping areas to buy supplies and food and drink.

If you're young and social, it's quite likely that you'll meet some folks you enjoy hanging out with and will visit their camp or have them visit yours - you may want to bring some extra camp chairs for visitors. There's a couple of nearby restaurants (Friar Tucks and another louder place with a big patio area) where you'll meet up with friends and make new ones. Visit La Sure for breakfast one morning (walk out past Friar Tuck's and cross the street) and have blueberry pancakes.

You'll find camping on the field a very rewarding experience - bring a good tent, waterproof gear bags, and plenty of stuff to keep the tent and your plane anchored, and keep a neat campsite - the storms that come up can create some hellacious wind and you do NOT want to find that your gear was loose and damaged any property.

Now I wish my daughter was just a little older so I could go camping again.

In a C-150, I would probably go with Steve's advice and get some cheap gear when you arrive.

Showers can be anywhere from 10' from your campsite to a 20 minute hike. It really just depends on where you get parked when you arrive. Speaking of showers, since they are community showers, bring some sort of flip-flop shower shoe to wear to-during-and-from the shower. Not only is it more sanitary in the showers, but the dirt outside the shower trailers can get a little mushy with a little rain. You being a military guy, I'm sure that's not a problem for you, but just to keep your fiancee in the loop. My (now) wife was a little surprised at the 'locker room' (lack of privacy) style shower setup our first time up when we were engaged. ;) If your fiancee has any questions, PM me and I'll get you my wife's email and she can share some "I was surprised because...." stories. Don't worry - she won't scare anyone off, she wants to go back every year now.

As I'm sure you already know, be prepared for anything -- freezing cold rain or hot baking heat. If my wife and I make it up there again this year, we'll join the club as "younger people to meet up with". I have no problem with buying a drink for a 3-tour service person.

WOW, great replies. The good thing, is that the two of us combined are under 300 lbs, so we will have a "little" weight to bring, but its still a c-150. I read Peggy's blog, great write-up. I think that from what i have read, i will be fine. But i will have to prepare her for the show, showers, walking, so forth. Good thing she's a country raised girl. I would love to get together with all of yous, hoist up a beer or two and talk about our stupid pilot tricks.

Well under 2# each: A 16' X 16' light weight nylon tarp with long cords and a few stakes is great over top of a highwing for shade and general rain shedding, and to pitch a tent under.

Get a good tent, I've seen monster T-storms during each of my Oshkosh trips. I liked the atmosphere of the Vintage camping a bit better, but its farther from Target, restaurants, etc... Do pack a warm sweatshirt, it can get cold (or not). And ditto the beers, I'd be happy to buy a couple rounds for someone who puts boot to ass to defend our land.

WOW, great replies. The good thing, is that the two of us combined are under 300 lbs, so we will have a "little" weight to bring, but its still a c-150. I read Peggy's blog, great write-up. I think that from what i have read, i will be fine. But i will have to prepare her for the show, showers, walking, so forth. Good thing she's a country raised girl. I would love to get together with all of yous, hoist up a beer or two and talk about our stupid pilot tricks.
Well, as others have pointed out, count on a thunderstorm. It ain't Oshkosh without that. I haven't camped there, since I've stayed with family in the area, but I'd be honored to quaff one with a fellow Grant!

Don't forget to put a sign in the windscreen- GAC and another for ROW 578 or there abouts... This is in the area between Kermit Weekes hangar and the Hilton ($6 all you can eat breakfast). The crowd is less than over nearer the show entrance. Check out my thread "Who is already thinking about OSH?" for details.

So don't forget about the spag feed at my plane... BYOW(ine,beer,soda) It'll be a great time!

I do cheat in one respect- I buy some 2" styrofoam building insulation, cut it to size to fit under my tent, and it gives me a stable floor and raises me up off the grass in case of flooding.... after the show, it gets broken up and tossed in the bin.

BIG SECRET!!!!!

NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER EVER leave your camp without buttoning down your tent. All doors and windows need to be sealed when ever you are away... for the bugs and the rain. I have seen people at the show come back to their tent to find 6" of water inside it and absolutely EVERYTHING soaked... clothes, sleeping bags, everything. And a few extra fiberglass tent poles are always a nice fallback. If you don't use them, somebody will! Rolls of parachute cord is nice too.

I have found that keeping all excess supplies in the plane is a good way to ensure dry and clean supplies.

Don't forget to put a sign in the windscreen- GAC and another for ROW 578 or there abouts... This is in the area between Kermit Weekes hangar and the Hilton ($6 all you can eat breakfast). The crowd is less than over nearer the show entrance.

Yeah, and there's a little shower trailer over there too so you don't have too far to go. I've lucked out, both years so far I've ended up near showers (Same row as the main shower building in 06, one row from the trailer in 07.)

When your in aircraft camping, roughly how far is it to facilities like Porta-Johns, camping stores, and stuff like that?

The porta-johns are at the end of every other row of planes, I think... Not too far. A bit farther than the bathroom in your house, but not too far to make it when you wake up in the middle of the night.

What is it like at night in aircraft camping. We are young, and would like to hang out with some young people that might want a drink or two. Is the aircraft camping social at all?

Most certainly! There always seem to be small groups scattered everywhere. Just be advised, you don't want to stay up too late because no matter how much you drink, the Trimotor will still be waking you up every day at 6 AM. :eek:

And lastly, any, and I mean any tips for those that have done it. We are leaving from Buffalo NY

Excellent - You might want to get in touch with Bob Miller (http://www.overtheairwaves.net/ I believe), he's from Buffalo and I think goes every year now. From what I hear, there's a large group of Buffalo folks that camp together.

this is kind of my/our welcome home vacation and alone time.

Alone? In the middle of 10,000 people? :rofl: You'll have a blast. :yes:

Here's what I bring:

* Tent, sleeping bag(s), air mattress, all the camping gear and away-from-home gear.
* Battery-powered fan for the hot nights (there might be some cool nights too though...). Tons of extra D batteries for said fan.
* Plastic to put down under tent.
* Tarp and extra stakes. Throw the tarp over your wing, pitch the tent underneath. I think that's the only way to stay dry for the signature thunderstorms:
DSCN2845.jpg

It also provides enough shade for the tent that you'll be able to sleep a tad later than sunrise if you so choose.
7thDayCessna.jpg

* Tie-downs. You're required to have these for the airplane. They'll sell you some if you don't have any, but the ones they sell you kinda suck. "The Claw" is probably a better idea.
* Camping chair for hanging out at the airplane and resting my feet.
* Water bottle. You'll need to be drinking, and the bottled water is expen$ive.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps!

OBTW... There is a "camp store" but it's down in Camp Scholler, not up in aircraft camping. There's also a bunch of stuff a short distance off the field. Don't forget to check the Airventure web site for a ton of other info.

The year (2003) my son-in-law and I went back we had high wind and thunder storms. Do not have a rope over your wing. I did and it dented my wing where the rope was over the wing. Make sure your tent is fastened down good with stakes. I saw a tent rolled over with high winds. take states to tie down your aircraft. If you don't take them you have to rent them. Your plane has to be tied down. As the rest have said you won't have any trouble meeting folks. Thanks for your service to our country I wish that I was going to be there, so I could buy you and your gal a cool one. I am way out here in Oregon and that is a long X-country. You said you are coming from Buffalo N.Y. area. I was born in Sherman N.Y. That is down by Chatauqua Lake. Bob

Back