First XC as a PPL

P51P28

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ZD
Good morning everyone. I'm planning on flying my first XC as a PPL this Sunday and I wanted to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

I'll be leaving from Griffin, Ga (6A2) and flying to KLQK and then on to my final destination, KGMU. KGMU is Class D airspace contained within the outer Class C airspace of KGSP. My plan is to descend from 3500 to 2500 from KLQK, to get under the outer Class C shelf of 3100. Call the KGMU tower about 10 miles out with my intentions and then land. Sound okay or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

Sounds about right!

Have fun!

what time are you doing this? the SCBC is that morning so it will be extra busy there if you go early morning.

are you stopping in LQK or just using it as a waypoint? if stopping, things are going to move pretty quick from the time you take off to landing at GMU (unless you fly a 172, then u have plenty of time:) ). consider calling GMU ASOS on the ground at LQK (864 239-0014) just to get an idea of winds and what runway they might be using. that'll help you get an initial plan in your head.

I'm sure you looked at the runway diagram. that one was pretty intimidating for me early on. print it out if u think it'll help but definitely get a good look at it before you go.
I've heard, on rare occasions, the tower guys get a little snippy if you're not on your A game. nothing to worry about, just try to make the best radio call you can. really, no worries, I've just heard it on a few occasions there when they get busy.

have fun.

what time are you doing this? the SCBC is that morning so it will be extra busy there if you go early morning.

are you stopping in LQK or just using it as a waypoint? if stopping, things are going to move pretty quick from the time you take off to landing at GMU (unless you fly a 172, then u have plenty of time:) ). consider calling GMU ASOS on the ground at LQK (864 239-0014) just to get an idea of winds and what runway they might be using. that'll help you get an initial plan in your head.

I'm sure you looked at the runway diagram. that one was pretty intimidating for me early on. print it out if u think it'll help but definitely get a good look at it before you go.
I've heard, on rare occasions, the tower guys get a little snippy if you're not on your A game. nothing to worry about, just try to make the best radio call you can. really, no worries, I've just heard it on a few occasions there when they get busy.

have fun.
sup hoski !

Make judicious use of the radio call “student pilot” in your initial transmissions, for a bit of grace from the other end of the radio. But don’t use it as an excuse to be lax. Have fun!!! You’ll forever remember it.

Your plan will work fine.
But, why not contact Greer Approach 118.80 (for KGSP Class C) about 20 miles out (from KGSP), maybe overhead KLQK, or, at LIBERTY or EASLEY, tell them you have the ATIS for, and will land at KGMU. They'll give you a squawk code, tell you how to approach KGMU, then hand you off to Downtown tower when you get closer.
Or, request flight following from ATC at the beginning of your trip, they should hand you off to Greer approach when nearing their airspace.
Either of these two will have you on ATC radar with traffic assistance as you get nearer the busy Greenville area, plus, since you would have established ATC contact, would alleviate any fears of inadvertent busting the Class C, since you'd be OK to enter or not.
Have fun, looks like a great "first" trip!

Reactions: smv

Planning to get there around lunch time. What is the SCBC?

LQK will be a waypoint. Thanks for the ASOS tip.

I'm sure you looked at the runway diagram. that one was pretty intimidating for me early on. print it out if u think it'll help but definitely get a good look at it before you go. I've heard, on rare occasions, the tower guys get a little snippy if you're not on your A game. nothing to worry about, just try to make the best radio call you can. really, no worries, I've just heard it on a few occasions there when they get busy. have fun.

Thanks a lot for the heads up. I just want to make sure I'm not busting airspace.

But, why not contact Greer Approach 118.80 (for KGSP Class C) about 20 miles out (from KGSP), maybe overhead KLQK, or, at LIBERTY or EASLEY, tell them you have the ATIS for, and will land at KGMU. They'll give you a squawk code, tell you how to approach KGMU, then hand you off to Downtown tower when you get closer.
Or, request flight following from ATC at the beginning of your trip, they should hand you off to Greer approach when nearing their airspace.
Either of these two will have you on ATC radar with traffic assistance as you get nearer the busy Greenville area, plus, since you would have established ATC contact, would alleviate any fears of inadvertent busting the Class C, since you'd be OK to enter or not.

Fantastic suggestion. Thanks a lot for this.

Good morning everyone. I'm planning on flying my first XC as a PPL this Sunday and I wanted to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

I'll be leaving from Griffin, Ga (6A2) and flying to KLQK and then on to my final destination, KGMU. KGMU is Class D airspace contained within the outer Class C airspace of KGSP. My plan is to descend from 3500 to 2500 from KLQK, to get under the outer Class C shelf of 3100. Call the KGMU tower about 10 miles out with my intentions and then land. Sound okay or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

Like the other poster, I would also recommend contacting Greer approach on 118.8 when able. They'll likely tell you to contact the KGMU tower when you get close enough to KGMU.

Make sure you don't clip the SE corner of the class B that goes down to 3000 MSL if you proceed direct to KLQK from 6A2. FYI... there can be a lot of skydiver and/or glider activity in the vicinity of D73.

Have fun!

Planning to get there around lunch time. What is the SCBC?

LQK will be a waypoint. Thanks for the ASOS tip.....

Ah well if it’s just a waypoint then I agree with getting flight following. Greer will walk u in.

SCBC is the South Carolina breakfast club. Fly in, eat breakfast, go home. Good times. Google it for more info but I gave u most of the details.

Like the other poster, I would also recommend contacting Greer approach on 118.8 when able. They'll likely tell you to contact the KGMU tower when you get close enough to KGMU.

Make sure you don't clip the SE corner of the class B that goes down to 3000 MSL if you proceed direct to KLQK from 6A2. FYI... there can be a lot of skydiver and/or glider activity in the vicinity of D73.

Have fun!

Ahhhh yes...the infamous corner. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for your help!

Why stay under the Class C? ATC would like to know the intentions of anyone in or near that airspace, and you do not want to be the unknown "...traffic your one o'clock, same altitude, I'm not talking to him." All it requires is two-way communication...is it that hard?

Bob

Why stay under the Class C? ATC would like to know the intentions of anyone in or near that airspace, and you do not want to be the unknown "...traffic your one o'clock, same altitude, I'm not talking to him." All it requires is two-way communication...is it that hard?

Bob

It sure isn't. Thanks Bob!

Check weather. My first long XC after my license involved landing 60 nm short and get a ride back home

When we visited the SoCal TRACON facility, our facility guide (and a controller), practically begged us to "always get flight following!!!".
If you are on flight following, you are always cleared to enter the outer layer of a Charlie. Now, entering the inner layer can happen in two ways: 1, approach hands you off to Charlie's tower, they will coordinate your transition of the airspace or 2, you stay with approach, they will coordinate (with a phone call) to tower and you transition the airspace
When you are on flight following, you are already in two way radio communication, therefore you are cleared to enter a Delta or a Charlie. It's only with Bravo, you need prior permission and you need to hear the magic "cleared to enter", but even with busy LAX airspace, I occasionally get 'cleared to enter Bravo' when I ask for it.

+1 for Flight Following. You still need to know your arrival airport frequencies (ATIS, Tower) and pull the arrival ATIS as soon as you can but the ATC folks will manage frequency handoffs and help coordinate the Charlie airspace. They might even clear you through a corner of a Bravo if it helps you and doesn't get you in someone else's way.

This is what I would do.

Back