well my XC today from KFAR to KBIS turned out to be very interesting and got to use a bunch of things we are trained for as pilots. first of all, i am sharing my experience, not telling anyone how to fly and i used all resources available to a pilot before i decided to make the trip. weather was supposed to be nice all day today apart from Airmet for icing and mod turb. there is another thread where i asked and confirmed that as long as there is no visible moisture, i am good. asked my CFI about airmet T, but thats about the only indication out there, surface winds are about 8 kts in KFAR and KBIS and all the airports in between. after consulting pretty much every weather products out there , spoke to FSS who told me that there is a front moving but it seems stuck and fargo could get into MVFR after 3, but chances are less. consulted my CFI who reviewed my plan and showed no concern. my way out in case the forecast doesnt match (like everytime), stay at bismarck or jamestown. i dont have to get back to fargo tonight. took off at 1000 CST, ride to Bismarck was as smooth as it gets with few occasional bumps here and there (so much for Tango) . reported smooth ride etc. approaching KBIS, approach asked me if i would like to take a ASR no gyro approach. told them i am not IFR rated, but if you can do it VFR i am all in. great experience there. this was one thing i wanted to do in my training, somehow never happened. at KBIS, checked weather again and saw that the front is moving faster than predicted. most airports in North were already IFR and MVFR. grabbed a coffee and a passport stamp and started coming back to Fargo (1240 CST). Fargo was still VFR. also checked few weather to the South, they were all VFR i was hauling ass and making 145 GS, over james town there was a scattered layer way down below, same crossing KBAC (Valley City). but as i started approaching fargo, things were not looking good. after my handover to KFAR Approach i asked for field condition and got ceiling 1900. my CFI was in the air, provided a pirep of in and out of clouds at 3k. my GPS was showing 14 mins to land and tell you what? its a huge pressure rt there. at one point i was thinking, well its just 14 mins, i will be in TRSA soon and i have done maneuvers in this area a lot of times and as long as i stay over I-94 i am pretty much guaranteed not to hit anything. before i could finish my thought i realized the whole layer below me (i was 7500) is getting thicker and thicker. never lost ground contact, but would have for sure if i had kept pressing on. few ASI videos came to mind.... keys in the mike and said i am going back to James town. handed off to MSP center at 6500 after crossing KBAC, same issue... came down to 4500 and i wasnt sure if i was going under the layer or over it. more ASI stories (Stuck on top) comes to mind. i ditched james town and made an uneventful landing at KBAC. rt now typing this from FBO computer. called airport manager and put Kate in an heated hangar (FREE if you buy fuel, gotta love ND). waiting for a "friend" to come pick me up.... after landing told CFI, he said the ceiling is at 1700 AGL. i could have flows at 1200 AGL and still be legal, visibility is more than 10 miles.. but i made a decision to land here and fly tomorrow. may be the last 15 mins to Fargo would have been very uneventful, but i didnt wanted to find out first hand. i did what i was trained to do. when it feels iffy and there are lot of may be;s involved, find the first VFR airport, land and then do all monday quarter backing at 0 kts ohh, something you dont learn in PPL, IFR, Commercial or even in NASA.... i had to learn on my own... how to push 2000 lbs of metal into a hanger over 1 inch of black ice for about 100 ft.. took me an hour. loving the GA experience (no sarcasm here, the cloud layer below me was AWESOMEEEEEEE) and living my dreams... but IFR... here i come.