First World Problem Resolved

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
I have a heated hangar deep in Yankee land. There is wifi in the hangar but I had an old school (dumb) thermostat. Was in Best Buy and saw one of those fancy new thermostats and bought it. (It was only $160 and the electric company gave me a $100 rebate and the gas company gave me a $50 rebate so they are free if people are interested.)

When I went to install it there were only 2 wires from the heater to the thermostat and I needed a common for power. I tried calling the company but their customer support was not from this country and had a bit of language barrier. Long story short after lots of research online I found a simple transformer that plugs in an outlet and creates the 24 vac needed for the common and now I have a nice thermostat that I can control from a free app on my phone. I keep the hangar at 50 and bump it up on the way to have a nice warm cockpit/place to pre-flight. If anyone is interested it's the Ecobee3 lite.

IMG_4723.JPG
IMG_4724.JPG

The good thing about the first world is that the problems here mostly do have solutions available. With the exception of my front door’s complicated locking mechanism not being compatible with any smart home technology st all. But when it comes to thermostats, we’ve got it made!

I wonder if it would work with my Reiff engine heater?
If you have WiFi in the hangar, just get an internet-controlled outlet plug and you’re set.

Back