First week instructing.

Yeah, let's only strive for excellence if we get paid 'enough' for the job we're doing. That's a good life philosophy.
I was making a joke about the cost of the surgical procedures required to be the teacher that David Lee Roth was singing about. But if you have to explain your jokes, they're probably not very funny, so... mea culpa.

I was making a joke about the cost of the surgical procedures required to be the teacher that David Lee Roth was singing about. But if you have to explain your jokes, they're probably not very funny, so... mea culpa.

We need a special color for sarcasm posts. lol. Over at Beechtalk it's green and another forum I'm on it's purple. And I'm old. :D

So today i learned you can spin some of the old cherokees. Getting them to spin though you have to keep full pro spin inputs. Such a stable plane i think it teaches bad habits.

You can do full control deflections while pitchedup 30 degrees stall horn screaming and buffeting and it just kinda mushes down

Not a CFI, but. . .SoCal, early 70s, a USAF aero club instructor ask me "what is the worst thing that can happen in this airplane?"

I said an inadvertant spin - later we were doing the stall series (C-150). You see where this is going, right?

So he stomped rudder just at the break, and over we went - he laughed and asked me "what are you gonna do now?"

I had read book or two, so I "reduced the angle of attack". I did so by shoving the yoke straight into the panel, as fast and as far as it would go. And adding full opposite (i think) rudder. SoCal kept rotating, though the view seemed radically altered. It was very quiet for a bit, while as he sorted it out, and we recovered from inverted. That was the first time I tried to kill a CFI. I'm not certain exactly what the airplane did, but they were able to use it again. . .

Hell even airline pilots don't use checklists correctly. I've been doing safety audits this week and been amazed at the stuff I've seen even with me in the jump.

Relax on the CFI stuff. For the first few lessons I'm happy if they can takeoff, do some basic maneuvers and get it reasonably pointed towards the runway on landing. I'm not looking for Chuck Yeager skills. Landings come with time and practice. Even at the airlines it took me six months before I had my "AH HA!" moment in one type that I fly.

So today i learned you can spin some of the old cherokees. Getting them to spin though you have to keep full pro spin inputs. Such a stable plane i think it teaches bad habits.

You can do full control deflections while pitchedup 30 degrees stall horn screaming and buffeting and it just kinda mushes down
LOL. Hold crossed controls fully deflected and it goes down at more the 'mush' rate. Wanna see six thousand fpm? o_O:)

Back