"First unread message" question

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I am logged in, but for some reason while reading posts using the "New Posts" method, when I click on a thread topic I don't get the "first unread message" link at the top of the thread when viewing it at work, but I do when viewing it at home. (firefox browser).

Any ideas? What determines when I see "first unread message" or don't?

Troy Whistman said:
I am logged in, but for some reason while reading posts using the "New Posts" method, when I click on a thread topic I don't get the "first unread message" link at the top of the thread when viewing it at work, but I do when viewing it at home. (firefox browser).

Any ideas? What determines when I see "first unread message" or don't?
First Unread Message only works if the system thinks you haven't read it yet (usually indicated by either visiting the thread PAGE (not just the thread itself) or using Mark Forum Read or Reset Recent Activity Timer). The other event that would cause it is a timeout after pulling up the New Posts or Recent Activity pages (after 15 minutes it resets your search, I think).

Chuck can confirm, however.

Brians got it, basically. After 15 minutes of idle time, your stats get reset.

Best option is to open the Who's Online page in a new window/tab (do it from the existing window by right clicking to ensure you're on a shared session). That page refreshes every 2 mins and will prevent your read stats from timing out and resetting.

Thanks for the tips, none of those worked. I finally figured it out... the "View First Unread" only appears in "Linear" mode; I was running Linear at home, Hybrid at work.

Back