Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
MISSON --> Operation NY Dog Extraction
OBJECTIVE --> Locate Dog, Codename, COLBY, extract from trainer, Return to base
STATUS --> COMPLETE SUCESS

Yesterday I had the opportunity to put my Private Pilot license to use for a true general aviation mission, and I accepted it whole heartedly. Bob Ciotti (rmciottijr) invited me to join him in a flight to Elmira NY in order to pickup his dog, Colby, from the hunting trainer she has been with traveling to various training locations and trials. After a few days of talking and planning the trip, we decided yesterday would be the day, and did we luck out or what with the weather! Great visibility all day, nice weather, and high clouds! Very Smooth ride up and back.

We met in the morning at KLOM and prepared N2609L for the ride. There were a few little things to store, tidy up, and inflate :p and then we were on our way. We departed RY 24 for a gradual climbout into the wild blue yonder and turned our course North towards Allentown. After a few minutes of climbing, we were approaching Allentown and called them up for Flight Following. I had all the frequencies for the trip up and back noted on my lap, along with the VOR's and radials. As we would move farther up the chart, I would prepare the radio for the swap, and track our position by crossing VOR's. My instructor told me about those post-it arrows for following your position on the chart, so I had them stringing there way up our route. Allentown handed us off to NY Center, and then we went to Elmira TRSA before going into 7N1, Painted Post NY.

Along the route, we chatted about a lot of things, but also got a chance to play with my "new" Airmap 500. I was jumping VOR's in my GPS, while Bob's 2000C was on a direct plan. After about 3/4 of the trip, we realized my distance was not in NM, but Statute miles :rofl:. We had headwinds on the way up, so our groundspeed only achieved 90-92 most of the trip, but it was smooth and enjoyable.

Upon arrival at 7N1,... and an "arrival" it was, we taxied over to a tiedown and parked for the day. After getting ready to leave the airplane, I noticed the nav-light was on at the tail! Bob,.. master! Don't want to repeat the dead-battery senario that occured to me a few weeks ago with my parents fall folliage flight (which happened to be a weak battery for the record). The staff at Painted Post was very nice, and the have a variety of aircraft there too. We borrowed the courtesy van and headed off on the next adventure, finding Colby and the Trainers.

Of course, the Van was on empty,... so we found a local gas station and payed something around 2.59/gal for gas, and I saw a pizza shop. Quick ran over while Bob was filling the van, and grabbed two slices. Well,... they tasted ok,.. but they were in the warmer for a while,... last two slices they had. :eek:

Drove around to a few places, and finally ended up at the trial grounds where they were still competing. The trainer was still out with the dogs, so we waited around a little. Scenery was nice in these rolling hills of southern NY, with a little snow here and there. After a little bit, the trainer came in and we made our way to pick up Colby. Let's just say, Bob and Colby were excited to see one another, and there's a reason a dog is a man's best friend. You can tell in their smiles!

Back at the airport, we saddled up and topped off fuel. I called flight service and looks like we would have an 8-12 knot headwind (our course was 160*, wind at 180*) for the return leg at 5500 feet. We departed RY 14 at 7N1, and headed towards KELM. Called them up, recieved flight following. They had a Cessna Skymaster (if I recall,.. single engine, twin boom tail) departing and doing a "rapid accent" to altitude. He reported that he saw us,... we were looking. Found him,.. and wait,... we are moving up at nearly the same rate,... "Bob,.. you see him",.... "Yea",... "Bob,... pull the power,.. pull the power! :yikes:" We pulled the power,.. pushed down a little, and watched as the Skymaster flew most likely <250 feet over us,.. only 50-75' off our nose! Case where flight following and understanding traffic flow were way to Close,.... Do you think this needs an ASRS Report? I thought about it, but haven't decided yet. Nothing was said by any party (tower, us, or the other plane) over the radio.

We then continued our climb back up to 5500' and continued on our way. It was about 4 pm now,.. so we new the sun was going to be gone when we got back. The "Schaffer Autopilot" was enabled, so I flew the way back, as Bob pushed his seat back and gave Colby some treats. The plane handles nice, and it was my first time flying from the right seat. Did really well, and managed to adjust quickly to where things were and using the power with the left hand. Elmira handed us to Wilkes-Barre, then we went to Allentown, then Philadelphia, before decending into Wings about 5:20 pm. I took us over the field at 2500,.. then turned as we decended to pattern just south of the field. Entered the 45* downwind for RY 24, and handed the controls back to Bob. At 5:30, we were shut down and tied down,.... calling our wives :blowingkisses: hoping for the best.

Overall, a great trip, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Very cool to use the license to get someplace for a reason other than lunch or just to go to an airport. I have a nice video I'll compile and post here soon (maybe this weekend) of our trip. Thanks to all for the emails, PM's, and Tips for this flight, worked out Great!

Attachments

• IMG_6417.JPG
    IMG_6417.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6424.JPG
    IMG_6424.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6425.JPG
    IMG_6425.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6430.JPG
    IMG_6430.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6431.JPG
    IMG_6431.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6432.JPG
    IMG_6432.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6438.JPG
    IMG_6438.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6442.JPG
    IMG_6442.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 63
Oh,.. here's the FlightAware Track back home.

Attachments

• FlightTrack.JPG
    FlightTrack.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 40
Sounds like a successful trip! Glad you had fun and the weather held out for you. It's been pretty icky this week overall, yesterday was definitely the day to do it. I didn't notice it all that great here, but then again I don't get windows all day long.

The Skymaster is a twin-engine plane, but it's a pusher/puller setup, with a twin-boom tail. What you reported is probably a Skymaster. That's no good that happened, you shouldn't have to make evasive maneuvers to clear that other person. It sounds like he either should have leveled off until you passed, or one of you should have been given a heading to fly around. Clearly, he was not maintaining visual separation. That's way too close. Don't know about the ASRS, I'll defer to those who know more than me, but I would have said something about that to tower. I put this on the pilot of the Skymaster given your description - if he said he saw you, he clearly was not being safe.

Glad that you managed to use your PPL for your first "real" mission. Such things are great, and as you do more I'm sure you'll enjoy it that much further.

sounds like fun Rob.

so if the problem last week was a weak battery, and not you leaving the master on, did the FBO still screw you for the flight time and mechanic time up and back to fix it?

Rob,

It sounds like you and Bob had a great day. I'll check out the videos when you post them. Glad everything worked out.

I wish the weekend weather forecast looked better for my flight.

I'm glad the flight went well. But since 7N1 has not yet been claimed for the Conus Challenge, you missed that opportunity!!!!

-Skip

DOH!! :eek: Bob even asked if I could remind him to get that photo when we got back to 7N1.
Since we were running late, it slipped both our minds. :arf:

Rob (and Bob!)

Sound like a wonderful day with cooperating weather. Good you didn't have to go today!

Nice write up!

Gary

Good write up Rob. It's always great to have a mission.

As far as the ASRS report, it wouldn't hurt to file one so NASA has another data point, but you don't need to do it to avoid an FAA bust since you didn't break any regs (plus Bob was PIC anyway :D).

Lee

Oh you were picking up the dog! I thought Dru sent Bob up there for training and you were gonna pick him up.

Oh,.. almost forgot and I'm surprized Bob didn't rib me for this,...

I parked the plane crooked this time :cornut: ,... admittingly, it was dark, and Bob was guiding me from pushing on the wing strut while I followed the line,... nosewheel is on the line, but it's crooked :rolleyes2:

Maybe he'll lend me the keys' so I can go fix it :ihih:

Glad you got to fly Rob but I'm really glad that Bob finally got in the air again.

I wasn't sure until I saw the picture, but I've driven past that airport (7N1) many times. That's NY 17/"Future" I-86 running parallel to the runway.

That runway was grass until maybe 2 years ago. I bet that new pavement was nice and smooooooooooth. :yes:

Yes, it's very nice, and still being expanded. The runway 14-32 is 3300 feet of nice pavement, and the parking ramp is very nice and new. Looks like they are still expanding the tiedown area. The hangar and office was very clean and everyone was friendly.

I have some more photos I can resize and post.

Nicely done Rob.

If you ever buy an airplane, you will be shocked by how quickly your ratio changes from 95% goofing off:5% mission flying to something much more like 20/80. I had about 175 hours in June when I bought my Cirrus, now I have a new rating (IFR) and about 320 hrs TT. The vast majority (>90%+) of the flying I have done since I bought the airplane has been mission flying - wether going to Miami for the weekend because the weather sucks here or flying to client meetings during the week. Once you start flying for utility you realize the real benefit of this thing we do (and the best part is, even when going to a client meeting in crappy weather, you still enjoy the flight - it's like a mini-vacation during the workday).

Hey Rob,

Glad to hear about your flying adventures. Flying with a mission/purpose other than training makes you feel like you are doing more than burn 100LL through the exhaust.

At least that's what I tell myself :)
________
buy no2 vaporizer

Last edited:
Nicely done Rob.

If you ever buy an airplane, you will be shocked by how quickly your ratio changes from 95% goofing off:5% mission flying to something much more like 20/80. I had about 175 hours in June when I bought my Cirrus, now I have a new rating (IFR) and about 320 hrs TT. The vast majority (>90%+) of the flying I have done since I bought the airplane has been mission flying - wether going to Miami for the weekend because the weather sucks here or flying to client meetings during the week. Once you start flying for utility you realize the real benefit of this thing we do (and the best part is, even when going to a client meeting in crappy weather, you still enjoy the flight - it's like a mini-vacation during the workday).

What Rudy said! Welcome aboard, too!

Of course, getting the instrument rating makes things more mission-oriented too. Once you're able to complete most of the missions, you'll schedule more of them.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c28b5UOcqqQ"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c28b5UOcqqQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

How can I embed the video?..... the code just shows up?

Here's the link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c28b5UOcqqQ

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c28b5UOcqqQ"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c28b5UOcqqQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

How can I embed the video?..... the code just shows up?

Here's the link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c28b5UOcqqQ
[ YT ] c28b5UOcqqQ [/ YT ]

Aww that's just a paralax error caused by the video being taken from the right side...........yeah that's it :rofl:

Nice video Rob.

I know I know I guess I need to work on that. We can blame a little on the location of the camera but not that much.

When I saw the video that was the first thing I said to myself.

Hmm,. four options.
1) Let Rob and Adam check out your plane for a flight or two,.. make sure nothing's wrong with it's tracking :yesnod: This way I can practice parking it Straight too !
2) wear a brick on your right leg, so you unkowingly press more on the right pedal
3) Go flying more
4) Land at Perkiomen (N10) a dozen times, since you don't have the extra runway width to play on.

I recommend #1, then the rest, although,.. #2 could cause adverse walking affects after a while :D

Last edited:
Well I vote for # 4 I'd be very happy to see Bob getting up in the air much more than he does.:wink2:

I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd share results here too.

With the Airmap 500, I set a trail to follow our flight up and back. I was able to download the information, and with the help of other forum members, get the track as a file for Google Earth. My airmap doesn't keep a log of altitude it seems, so I just get a 2D view of our flight, but it's still very cool.

Save the file below and open in google earth,, Or click on this link where I have loaded it to My Google Maps and added some notes and features from the video and original post above.

Google Map of Our Flight :D

Attachments

• LOM-7N1-LOM Flight Track.kmz
    3.7 KB · Views: 1
Nice job on the video Rob, and the flying Bob! Hey, you were still on the runway at least. :D

BTW, you do realize that the position of the camera would have made it look *better* right? And an awful lot of pilots are always left of the centerline because of parallax, but they're overhyping it. Sit on top of the line, and you'll be on the line.

I've been a left-of-centerline offender myself quite a bit, but I've tightened down my personal tolerance for that sort of thing a bit the last several months - I knew that soon the FAA would be calling me "commercial pilot" and I'd better start caring about things like that more or I'd look unprofessional.

Back