First Trip into ADIZ

Shipoke

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
shipoke
Well i did it and didn't even get to see any Blackhawks, Took off from KCXY flew to EMI under vfr conditions. Opened my ADIZ flight plan there got my sqawk code and then asked if i was cleared into the class Bravo. Had to wait for that clearance, but then i just followed instruction from ATC.loitered outside adiz till i got cleared into B then ATC told me to desend from 4500 to 3500, got a few vectors and they put me on downwind for 1R, had to extend DW fora RJ that was landing ,then was cleared to land, turned base ,turned final, landed and taxied off, ask for progressive taxi to Landmark (formerly Piedmont), took my right to the ramp. Shut down and lineman came out and chocked the tires and drove me to the terminal. Where i met Corpilot, he took me to a nice Italian Restraunt, after eating took me back to IAD where i file a VFR ADIZ flight plan to get out,Called Clearance delivery they gave me a sqawk code and told me to contact ground,Ground took me down Zulu to Alpha then turned me over to Tower. followed a RJ to 1R and depated staying under 2500, once airborne Tower switched me to Patomic Approach ,they took me out of the ADIZ then i climbed to 3500 and they gave me flight following to just about the PA/MD boarder then they switched me to Harrisburg Approach and they brought me Hometo CXY. All in all it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.Everyone was very helpfull and especially the people at Landmark.
And a special Thanks goes out to Ed G. and Ben for all the help with this adventure
Dave G.:blueplane:

Very glad it worked out for you, Dave. As long as you have a plan and know what you're doing, it is not difficult.

Was that Italia's Italian restaurant behind Fudrucker's in Herndon?

:)

Having now flown into the ADIZ both VFR and IFR, I *way* prefer doing it IFR. Since I was talking and squawking from the beginning, I knew there was no chance that I had something set up wrong, and all I had to do was follow my clearance like usual. Since I fly into Martin State when I go into the ADIZ, going IFR also has the added advantage of not having to worry about the restricted areas right nearby, since I was cleared right through them each time.

Much less nerve-wracking than the VFR-on-an-ADIZ-flight-plan route.

Back