kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Hi, all,

Went to go see "Arctic Thunder 2006" yesterday at Elmendorf AFB, featuring the Blue Angels! Yeeeee-heeee!! That show is always great...

They had a flight demonstration of the new F-22. That thing is amazing. It can pitch up to something like an 80-degree pitch angle and fly at, ohh, I don't know, 50 knots or something, so it looks like it's just "floating" through the air. Makes a lot of noise!

They guy that I went to the airshow with surmised that this might be the first public flight demonstration of the F-22, ever. I know nothing about this kind of thing. True or false?

Quote of the day, interviewing the F-22 pilot:
Interviewer: "So, how fast were you flying today?"
Pilot: "Well, the maximum we're allowed to fly is Mach 0.92, so I guess I was going 0.92."

--Kath

Sorry Kath... Not the first.. There were two F-22's at OSH this year.. And if I remember correctly, someone said they were at Sun-and-Fun as well...

Regardless, they were indeed an AWESOME sight to behold! I could not and STILL can't belive the maneuverability of those things! They probably have a 'routine' they go through, but the show at OSH consisted of one making high-speed low passes while the other went vertical and floated doing all sorts of high pitch/bank maneuvers while 'floating' in air... Followed by a near barrier-breaking HIGH speed low pass.

The announcer said that they are working on having a 'full' flight demonstration together for next year's air show circuit.

Like my dad said: "We really don't have to bomb people anymore, just fly these things over and scare the *%&# out of them!"

-Chris

kath said:
Pilot: "Well, the maximum we're allowed to fly is Mach 0.92, so I guess I was going 0.92."

That quote is great.

It kind of reminds me of a conversation I had with a CFI on the flight before my checkride.

CFI: "How far are we below those clouds?"
me: "Hmm, looks like about 510 ft."
CFI: "Good answer..."

FlyNE said:
That quote is great.

It kind of reminds me of a conversation I had with a CFI on the flight before my checkride.

CFI: "How far are we below those clouds?"
me: "Hmm, looks like about 510 ft."
CFI: "Good answer..."

I always just say "at least 1,500 feet" ...Less thinking involved.

CJones said:
Regardless, they were indeed an AWESOME sight to behold! I could not and STILL can't belive the maneuverability of those things! They probably have a 'routine' they go through, but the show at OSH consisted of one making high-speed low passes while the other went vertical and floated doing all sorts of high pitch/bank maneuvers while 'floating' in air... Followed by a near barrier-breaking HIGH speed low pass.

-Chris

To bad they will prob never get to actually use the maneuverability of the F-22 in combat. Since any targets would have been splashed well before they even got close to that puppy :D

CJones said:
Sorry Kath... Not the first.. There were two F-22's at OSH this year.. And if I remember correctly, someone said they were at Sun-and-Fun as well...
Yup. Saw 'em at both places. Got some nice photos at SNF.

Saw one fly at the First Flight Centennial Celebration at KFFA in 2003, was still painted white and flown by a Lockheed-Martin pilot.

Cool.

kath said:

--Kath

That is just like doing an ILS in crappy weather.

Tower: AcmeFlight32 where did you break out.

Acmeflight32: MinimumsB)

I have a friend who owns a car repair shop overlooking Lockheed Georgia's runway. He's seen 'em, oh yeah.......

CJones said:

The announcer said that they are working on having a 'full' flight demonstration together for next year's air show circuit.

Like my dad said: "We really don't have to bomb people anymore, just fly these things over and scare the *%&# out of them!"

-Chris

I saw one or two at Sun & Fun last spring. One spent half the time standing on his tail just as Kath described so I'd guess that this must be a lot of fun, a serious challenge, or both. I can't begin to guess how many gallons/mile this consumes (full AB and something like 20-50 KTAS).

Back