First timer...what do I need to see?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Hi - first timer to Oshkosh. Will be camping, probably tues-fri/sat.

What do I not know that I don't know?

Pay homage to the Gustave Whitehead memorial. For without him, Osh Kosh would just be a type of overalls.

As it gets closer most of the forums and such are listed on the EAA site, there is an EAA app too. You can book mark a few that interest you every day. I like the safety, maintenance, and general interest forums. Even when I plan a few things may come up where I miss. The forums are usually offered a handful of times.

Just get a map and explore. I like the commercial hangars of course, always looking for the next gadget, plane or otherwise.

As it gets closer most of the forums and such are listed on the EAA site

The first person to find the forums schedule this year, would'ja please post here? Those of us giving forums are generally the last to know when and where we are supposed to be.

BTW, if anybody can figure out how to download the "Oshkosh Countdown Timer" flash and post it here, that would be awesome. All I can get is either a supertiny gif point or the link to the Hamilton Watch web page.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Bring suitable clothing for a Wisconsin summer:

Shorts;
Tee Shirts;
Rain gear suitable for a tropical monsoon;
Parka good to 20 below.

And don't forget the 20mm howitzer for the mosquitoes.

:yes:

Jim

I like going to Mike Busch's forums for sure! ALWAYS learn from him! AND YES PLEASE when they get the schedules posted let us know!

Also, anyone remember or know how much GAC costs?

Follow the directions in the notam carefully. Everyone else plans to arrive early, so I buck the trend and join the arrival at 6:30PM, it's always quiet at that hour(now I gave away my secret). Take the bus over to the amphib base and go for a swim in the cove, check out the amphibs. Buy some brats and a couple ears of corn at the market there, and roast them on your hibachi or like grill. Attend the Mike Busch savvy aviator talk, and also that skinny guy who has a funny talk on aviation - he used to fly the 210, forgot his name. Visit the UL field a few times, try to beg a ride on one of the two seat copters, or a light sport. Get as close to the runway as you can for the warbird demo and enjoy the heat off the explosions. Drink heavily, mostly beer, maybe some wine, plenty of toilets around the place.

You will, or should, do an enormous amount of walking. Bring a couple different pairs of good walking shoes.

The post about clothing variety was right on. Be prepared for 95 and humid down to 45 and raining - and all combinations.

Think of it as a combination of gigantic outdoors theme park, camping, and enormous mall. Possibly in a foreign country. With airplanes.

You will, or should, have a fantastic time.

As other have said:

1. You will walk 3 - 6 miles per day. If you're not up to it, start going for walks after dinner NOW. You've got 45 days.

2. The weather has been the hottest I've ever seen, anywhere, including South Texas (!), but it can also be in the 50s, raining, and cold. Pack accordingly.

3. Sounds like you're planning 3 days on the field? PRIORITIZE. Ask yourself why you are there, and what you want to see. If you try to see it all, you will fail.

4. Plan on attending the HOPS Party in the North 40 on Wednesday night. It starts right after the airshow, at our campsite in the N40. Admission is a 6-pack of good beer from home, wherever that may be. Extra points awarded if we can't see through it!

Soak it in. Feel the Oshkosh attitude seep into your bones. Refresh yourself, and know that (for once) you're not "that weirdo who flies little planes" -- you're among friends who share your sickness! :D

What is the air show comm frequency? Would love to listen to the actual performers instead of the loudspeaker, although listening to both would be the ideal scenario. Thanks.

At the main bus stop, there are free busses which cycle about every 20 minutes. There are 2 or 3 dedicated to carrying people to Target and a nearby grocery store and another 2 or 3 which provide the same service to Wal-Mart. Meaning if you forget something, it is easy to recover. We take the bus to Target to buy beer and cokes.

That far north, the days are very long, and an airfield doesn't have a lot of shade. If the weather is warm and sunny, be prepared to bake from 10 AM to 7 or 8 PM.

Cheap tents are a false economy. Seemingly every year, there is at least one big storm, and the guys (and gals) with cheap tents end up with flooded and/or collapsed tents. No fun.

Pack all of your stuff in garbage bags. That'll keep your things dry just in case the worst happens.

Carry a water bottle. Fill it every time you see potable water.

There are real bathrooms (i.e. stalls, real toilets, air conditioning) in one of the exhibit hangars. Nice to know if you need to take care of business when it is 100F and 200% humidity in the porta potties.

Camelback backpack, carries both liquid and goodies you pick up as you wander through the merchant displays and flea market area. You'll do a lot of walking, and if you're walking the rows of planes, you want drinks with you. Keep a spare pair of socks in the pack too.

Shoes! My wife, every year, decides at the last minute to put on her flip-flops. Half way through the day, she starts complaining, then at the end of the day whines and begs for a foot rub. The trams are a foot saver. I never used them my first few years, but now I jump on at every chance.

Hitch hiking the golf carts and any other vehicle in motion is also effective on the grounds. Rarely have I taken a tram, typically someone picks me up before I make it to the stop.

What is the air show comm frequency? Would love to listen to the actual performers instead of the loudspeaker, although listening to both would be the ideal scenario. Thanks.

Each performer has their own "special" frequency, although how they get them is a mystery unto me. I know the FCC aircraft tech specs and rules by heart and I still can't figure it out.

I'll have ALL the Oshkosh frequencies including police, taxi, UWO, and all the aircraft stuff posted in a couple of weeks at www.rstengineering.com and then into the Oshkosh page.

Thanks,

Jim

Each performer has their own "special" frequency, although how they get them is a mystery unto me. I know the FCC aircraft tech specs and rules by heart and I still can't figure it out.

I'll have ALL the Oshkosh frequencies including police, taxi, UWO, and all the aircraft stuff posted in a couple of weeks at www.rstengineering.com and then into the Oshkosh page.

Thanks,

Jim

I see people with scanners that I guess just latch the frequency in use.

We watch for those folks, latch onto them, and get the frequencies. We then put them in our handheld radios, for use during the show.

We also keep them tuned to tower freq during the REAL airshow -- arrivals and departures on RWY 9/27. Plan on spending an hour each evening at the fence line in the North 40, watching the airborne carnival. Bring a lawn chair, beer, and salted in the shell peanuts, and join us!

Find someone with a radio and ask. They'll share.

Nah. Pre-programmed is mostly how folks do it. Find something new, program it in by hand and download it to the PC file back home for next year.

Y'all just made me remember that I wanted to install a decent scanner with a good air band receiver in the fifth wheel... Adding to the list...

www.rstengineering.com and go to Oshkosh 15. The frequency chart is available for download. Updated chart will be posted this afternoon, but there are very few edits.

Jim

But why would you want to? ;)

I think someone made fun of me for seeing Barry Manilow in Vegas in the 80's too. It just happened, and it didn't 'stay in Vegas'. The memory is a little fuzzy, there were extenuating circumstances.

I'd suggest walking over to the EAA museum once during your stay too. And I always make a stop by the memorial wall. There's a great path through the trees back near the memorial wall, nice place to get some shade and get away from the big crowds for a little while.

Stay aware from the various workshops or you'll end up learning that welding, covering, composite work, etc aren't rocket science and you'll be stuck building a plane for the next six years. ;-)

Back