First Timer Primer

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
If you've never flown in to Airventure but are thinking about it the EAA is providing a webinar just for you. Even if you have flown in before you might want to check out the latest changes for arrivals.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/672857194

Scheduled for

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM CDT

BTT... don't forget the Webinar is tonight for people planning on flying into KOSH for the big show. :thumbsup: Break out your copy of the 2K10 NOTAM and follow along!

You think da goofs who show up at OSH without even knowing there's a NOTAM would have joined the webinar in advance?

It's not the pilots who plan in advance and study who are problem.

Ain't rocket science, and the dufi (plural of dufus) are not that prevalent. Don't let scary stories prevent you from flying it, it's fun and one of the aviation experiences you'll most cherish. There's nothing better than camping under your wing at the show.

But do practice tight patterns and spot landings BEFORE you arrive.

Ain't rocket science, and the dufi (plural of dufus) are not that prevalent. Don't let scary stories prevent you from flying it, it's fun and one of the aviation experiences you'll most cherish. There's nothing better than camping under your wing at the show.

A-freakin'-men. :yes:

Never been to Osh but I might add that Kent did an excellent video of the arrival procedure. Its some where in our archives I suspect.

And you're one of those who've actually come nose to nose with one of the doofuses!

Yep. Was #4 for landing on runway 9 behind a B-25, a T-34, and another Cessna when a silver Luscombe landed on 27 without talking to anyone. When people started running over to tell him to get the heck off the runway (and hopefully copy the tail number), he must have looked around and realized that he screwed up, so he poured on the coals and took off into the flow of traffic and headed north. I think "Doofus" is too nice a name to call someone like that, but...

Everyone else involved handled things very professionally. The controllers quickly told us what was going on and sent the B-25 around. The pilots kept their eyes open, and stayed with plan A as long as it was safe, not mucking up the rest of the works. The controllers also sent the T-34 around, the other Cessna and I were able to land. I didn't see the Luscombe until their left wing went skyward in their turn to escape to the north, but I knew he was still well in front of me. The controllers thanked everyone for their calm and professional response, and sequenced the B-25 and T-34 in again.

Yes, there are doofuses (again, that's being too nice... :incazzato:) but Michael is right, flying into OSH and camping on the field is an experience you'll never forget - In a good way :D - and the vast majority of the people who show up are on their game. :yes:

Dan was in the right seat at the time of the "event" filming, too... I don't know if he imported it, but he did give me the tape. I haven't even watched it yet, but I'll get it online one of these days.

Never been to Osh but I might add that Kent did an excellent video of the arrival procedure. Its some where in our archives I suspect.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I flew and Troy did the video, and here it is:

I particularly like the first comment:

Vimeo comment said:
Troy! Please let Kent know that he did an excellent job of flying the procedure. I am the Fisk FAA Operations Supervisor during AirVenture and actually recall your flight in on Friday (you were the one letting us know about the crop duster). I want to compliment Kent on preparing for the VFR Arrival Procedure, his flying abilities and cockpit management. By the way, the procedure references that you embedded are from my web link :)

I would like to discuss the possibility of using this video in the 2009 (and beyond) controller briefing materials.

So Kent, did the controller speak with you about the use of your video? Are they using it?

So Kent, did the controller speak with you about the use of your video? Are they using it?

It's Troy's video. ;) But I did e-mail him my "OSH Simplified" flowchart, among other things... So I hope they're using as much as possible.

BTW, for those who are flying in for the first time, here is a link to the Google Maps street view of where the FAA trailer is parked. Take a look at the satellite view and/or fly it in Google Earth or whatever...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=...d=1d6WIB2SzUiuQ2mnbSJ-WQ&cbp=12,92.61,,0,2.57

Here is my "Oshkosh Simplified" flowchart for 2010 - I've added a table for groundspeed and time from Ripon to Fisk, since it seems many first-timers are following instructions WAY too early (for similar aircraft that are in front of them).

I made this so that I can keep my head outside instead of shuffling through pages of the NOTAM. It's a single page with the relevant details of the Fisk VFR arrival.

Enjoy the show, and fly safe!

Attachments

• OSH10 simplified.pdf
    82.9 KB · Views: 23
Here is my "Oshkosh Simplified" flowchart for 2010 - I've added a table for groundspeed and time from Ripon to Fisk, since it seems many first-timers are following instructions WAY too early (for similar aircraft that are in front of them).

I made this so that I can keep my head outside instead of shuffling through pages of the NOTAM. It's a single page with the relevant details of the Fisk VFR arrival.

Enjoy the show, and fly safe!

Kent,

Thanks for the pdf. I am planning to fly up on Wednesday morning and look forward to it. This will be my first time flying into KOSH so it should be exciting. I will have my son along with me so I will have an extra set of eyes. :wink2:

John

Back