First time skiing advice - NA

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I'm trying to expose my daughters to experiences my wife and I didn't get to have growing up. We plan to go skiing this winter, Dec 16-21. I've done some research, and Copper Mountain in Colorado seems to be the slope-de-jour for beginners and family-friendly skiing.

A couple of questions from a newbie:

1) We plan to take their full-day ski lessons the first day we're there. The girls have a choice of snowboard or ski lessons. Is one harder than the other? Should they definitely take one over the other for their first time up to the slopes, or are they equivalent in difficulty? If the latter, I'll leave the choice up to them, so they pick the one that interests them most.

2) The lessons include ski rental. When you rent skis/equipment, what does the package usually include? What's NOT included that I'll need to buy before going up there?

We plan to stay at the mountain (rent a condo) so we can have a base of operations if we get tired, need to rest, get warm, take a bath, sleep, etc. Plan is to stay up there three days--one day of "training", and two to hurt ourselves (hopefully not! We'll be doing stretching/bending/lifting exercises together between now and then to condition those muscles a little more than they are right now).

Any other advice or comments? Later, I'll post about next year's planned trip, and ask for sailboat advice.

i havent skiied (sp?) since 5th grade, and had a ton of fun. there arent very tall hills in iowa so the runs were short. i just had a couple kids who knew how tell me what to do, started off on the bunny hill. i got kind of cocky and tried the steeper hills. i could go down pretty fast but wiped out a lot when i tried to stop. twisted my ankle a little.

you will have much better experiences with actual training, better runs, and professional lessons. all in all though I did have a lot of fun, even though I crashed!

Troy Whistman said:
I'm trying to expose my daughters to experiences my wife and I didn't get to have growing up. We plan to go skiing this winter, Dec 16-21. I've done some research, and Copper Mountain in Colorado seems to be the slope-de-jour for beginners and family-friendly skiing.

A couple of questions from a newbie:

1) We plan to take their full-day ski lessons the first day we're there. The girls have a choice of snowboard or ski lessons. Is one harder than the other? Should they definitely take one over the other for their first time up to the slopes, or are they equivalent in difficulty? If the latter, I'll leave the choice up to them, so they pick the one that interests them most. Good Choice, my guess is the girls will want to do ski boarding. The kids around here tell me ski boarding is easier.

2) The lessons include ski rental. When you rent skis/equipment, what does the package usually include? What's NOT included that I'll need to buy before going up there? About the only thing else you will need beside's warm waterproof cloths are google's and a helmet, and not everybody wears these.

We plan to stay at the mountain (rent a condo) so we can have a base of operations if we get tired, need to rest, get warm, take a bath, sleep, etc. Plan is to stay up there three days--one day of "training", and two to hurt ourselves (hopefully not! We'll be doing stretching/bending/lifting exercises together between now and then to condition those muscles a little more than they are right now). That is a great idea

Any other advice or comments? Later, I'll post about next year's planned trip, and ask for sailboat advice.
Start off on the small hills and take your time. I made the mistake of going down a icy mountain trail that was narrow and steep. It hurt a bit when I fell on my butt, so stay within yourself until you get some time on the hills.

Good Luck Mike

You don't say how old your kids are, but that has very little impact on the ski/snowboard choice. The biggest factor is what they want to do. Even if they are falling down more, that fact that they chose the activity is the key. If they don't want to be doing what they're doing, a fun day is really difficult to achieve (ex-kids ski instructor speaking here). As far as ski vs. snowboard, a weak generalization is that with skiing you'll fall down less but make slower progress to competence, and with snowboarding you'll fall down more (and harder!) but you'll be better quicker (PSIA II skier/snowboarder speaking here).

On the equipment question, be prepared to bring or buy everything except the ski/snowboard, boots, bindings, and poles.

Most resorts have a web site that has packing and prep suggestions, and your place might also.

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/read-before-you-pack.php

Dan

Last edited:
I tired skiing a couple of times. I just couldn't get the hang of it. I felt too out of control. And even though I mastered the bunny slope, it took me half an hour to get down the 'beginner' slope. I fell getting off the lift. And I swore the next time I saw some 5 year old fly past me I was gonna hit him with my pole. miserable kids........... :)

Last year I bought a snowboard, it seemed easier to me. maybe because I grew up in SoCal and spent half my life either on a skateboard or a surfboard.

X/C skiing, OTOH, is wonderful.

I believe ski rental packages include all the hardware you'll need. layer your clothes, it gets warm. I found out the hard way that the tow rope up the bunny slope will rip your gloves to shreds if you're not careful. Now I know why all the instructors wore leather/suede 'covers' on their gloves. I now have a pair. I always wore a helmet, and I THINK they rent those as well. Bring a couple different pairs of socks. One thin, one thick, etc. I found that the socks I wore when I had my boots fitted were too thick once I was out.

have fun!!

Don't forget the classic Eruopean ski lesson:

"Bend zee knees.
"Fifty dollars, pleese."

Dan Smith said:
You don't say how old your kids are, but that has very little impact on the ski/snowboard choice. The biggest factor is what they want to do. Even if they are falling down more, that fact that they chose the activity is the key. If they don't want to be doing what they're doing, a fun day is really difficult to achieve (ex-kids ski instructor speaking here). As far as ski vs. snowboard, a weak generalization is that with skiing you'll fall down less but make slower progress to competence, and with snowboarding you'll fall down more (and harder!) but you'll be better quicker (PSIA II skier/snowboarder speaking here).

On the equipment question, be prepared to bring or buy everything except the ski/snowboard, boots, bindings, and poles.

Most resorts have a web site that has packing and prep suggestions, and your place might also.

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/read-before-you-pack.php

Dan

Thanks, Dan. The girls are 12, 14, and 16.

DeeG said:
I tired skiing a couple of times. I just couldn't get the hang of it. I felt too out of control. And even though I mastered the bunny slope, it took me half an hour to get down the 'beginner' slope. I fell getting off the lift. And I swore the next time I saw some 5 year old fly past me I was gonna hit him with my pole. miserable kids........... :)

Bwah ha ha! I'll remember that, and bring grenades...

DeeG said:
I found out the hard way that the tow rope up the bunny slope

Copper Mountain's site doesn't say anything about tow ropes... it says they have "moving carpets" for the beginner slopes... what's that!? Is it like the moving sidewalks at the airport, carpeted?

DeeG said:
have fun!!

We will!! I'll take and post pictures on my blog.

Ski rental = skis/boots/poles, + helmet if desired. Now that so many wear helmets the dork factor is greatly diminished, plus they're much warmer than hats IMHO. I say go for it.

Socks: wearing 2 socks is old school. New theory with ski boots is one, surprisingly thin sock (per foot, of course). ThorLo makes a good one, Fox River too. Trust me, thin socks work. Key is wicking away moisture. Also, spray anti-perspirant on your feet.

Clothes - polypro, goretex, all that good stuff. Synthetic rules. Cotton kills. Wool's too heavy. Polypro longjohns, polartec100's over that, ski pants (I prefer bibs) plus a goretex parka and you're good to go. Oh, and good gloves, preferably thinsulate with goretex lining. I usually bring 2 pair of gloves, so one pair's drying while the other is skiing.

One of those turtlefleece neck warmers is nice, especially in the wind. Just bury your face in it on the lift and you'll be warm.

I used to ski old school, wool sweater, pants, anorak, liner socks + wool socks, and I'd come off the mountain sweaty and chilled. Once I invested in good gear I've skied more comfortably and warmly than ever.

Skiing is like flying -- lots of gear, can be costly. You can do it on the cheap but you'll be uncomfortable. If you think you'll attempt any winter trip again, do it right the first time. If the girls are cold and miserable, they'll never want to go again, even if YOU have the time of your life.

Wear a pair of these and you will get pointed to the diamond slopes.

Attachments

• goggles.JPG
    goggles.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 19
JRitt said:
Wear a pair of these and you will get pointed to the diamond slopes.

Cool, and they customize them with your name! ;-) I wonder how many people come up and say, "Hey, SCOTT!" to him?

(Where's that guy's eyes??)

flyersfan31 said:
Ski rental = skis/boots/poles, + helmet if desired. Now that so many wear helmets the dork factor is greatly diminished, plus they're much warmer than hats IMHO. I say go for it.

Socks: wearing 2 socks is old school. New theory with ski boots is one, surprisingly thin sock (per foot, of course). ThorLo makes a good one, Fox River too. Trust me, thin socks work. Key is wicking away moisture. Also, spray anti-perspirant on your feet.

Clothes - polypro, goretex, all that good stuff. Synthetic rules. Cotton kills. Wool's too heavy. Polypro longjohns, polartec100's over that, ski pants (I prefer bibs) plus a goretex parka and you're good to go. Oh, and good gloves, preferably thinsulate with goretex lining. I usually bring 2 pair of gloves, so one pair's drying while the other is skiing.

One of those turtlefleece neck warmers is nice, especially in the wind. Just bury your face in it on the lift and you'll be warm.

I used to ski old school, wool sweater, pants, anorak, liner socks + wool socks, and I'd come off the mountain sweaty and chilled. Once I invested in good gear I've skied more comfortably and warmly than ever.

Skiing is like flying -- lots of gear, can be costly. You can do it on the cheap but you'll be uncomfortable. If you think you'll attempt any winter trip again, do it right the first time. If the girls are cold and miserable, they'll never want to go again, even if YOU have the time of your life.

Thanks for all the advice... names and materials helps a lot, since I'm new to this. I agree about keeping them comfortable. Believe me, as teenage girls, if they're miserable, Mom and I will be miserable too! ;-)

Do you buy this stuff online? One ski site I was at recommended GearDirect.com and BuySkis.com. I'm looking for good stuff at bargain prices (discounted)... aren't we all!?

Troy Whistman said:
Cool, and they customize them with your name! ;-) I wonder how many people come up and say, "Hey, SCOTT!" to him?

(Where's that guy's eyes??)
LOL
Those goggles have gotten me a lot of comments like "what are you doing on the bunny slopes?"

Troy Whistman said:
it says they have "moving carpets" for the beginner slopes... what's that!? Is it like the moving sidewalks at the airport, carpeted?
It sounds like a prototype runway treadmill!!!:eek:

If a skiier is on a moving carpet going uphill at the same speed he is skiing downhill, will he eventually fall off?

I think your kids are going to have a ball. Mine did. Depending on how athletic they are, think about two days of half-day lessons instead of a full day. The ability to flop around on the bunny slope without being hovered over by the instructors and standing in line, waiting for the rest of the group etc. for the second half of the day really made them feel like they were skiing and not just in school.

And they will get tired. Lots of unused muscles will be barking! The ability to go back to the condo or lodge for a break will be appreciated!

-Skip

Last edited:
All great advise. However make the girls and you bring water and some snacks in your pocket. You will dehydrate quicker. Yes you are also moving a lot which will increase this. If you start getting a headache then start drinking heavily (water that is). The snacks will also keep your energy up so that everyone is having a good time and not tiring out quickly. When you get back to the condo remind everyone to start drinking water again. They will not listen to you everytime but in the most part they will. With that much movement, you and they will be amazed on how much water you can drink without having to pee every five minutes. Keep in mind that the food at the slopes is really expensive, so that is a good reason to put it in your pockets.

I have taken a lot of groups skiing before and it just seems to me that everyone has a better time when they are not lacking energy and are well hydrated. I always brought a backpack with water and snacks for the people that didn't listen to me and then starting whining halfway down the runs.

Brent
Aka: big skii nut and snowboarder

Equipment: Spend $1000/person on warm clothes...or use your brains and dress sensible.

For warmth: Think LAYERS. You get hot, you take stuff off. You get cold, put it on. Many times I've been skiing in just a partially unzipped parka shell and tshirt and still warm - in January. Other times I could walk to the South Pole Station without getting cold. If it's sunny out, unless you can shed layers you'll combust then freeze.

Get a good jacket. I have a columbia ski jacket (IIRC $150ish way back when) that the shell separates from the coat. 3 options: Shell only, coat only, or both.
Gloves: $30-50 for goretex. Wet freezing fingers are NOT funny in the least. Glove liners are $10 if it's going to be really cold.
Fuzzy hat that covers your ears.

Pennytech (aka too cheap to spend a bazillion $$ on a first/one time adventure) skiiers advice:
Base layer: whatever underwear you're currently wearing plus a tshirt.
Thermal underwear/thermal shirt $6-8 (wallyworld)
Thick socks (fox river is excellent) $8. (REI or any self respecting hiking store)
Waterproofing: goretex $300 jacket + $200 pants... OR wallyworld camping/automotive dept and get the vinyl type rain jacket/pants and wear the pants over your jeans. $10-12 tops. Those things are totally waterproof and will easily last a week even if you're brutal on them. I've even seen people with duct taped jeans on numerous occasions.
$5 can of silicone waterproofing spray stuff goes on jacket and maybe gloves lest you get wet. Wet, whether it's caused by snow or sweat, is miserable.
Goggles: First timers, forget about it. You're probably not going to need them anyway.
An extra change of clothes down to underwear. If you get wet, go change.
Sunblock if it's sunny out including on the bottom of your chin.
Stay hydrated. You'll dehydrate quickly above 10,000MSL. Headache and/or getting irritated about little things is a big warning sign. Never pass a waterfountain without a drink.

My skiing tips:
Tree hard, snow soft. Choose. Jump off the skis if you have to. Even a 25mph faceplant in snow is usually not that big a deal other than having to go find your poles and skis afterward.
If possible, go over sideways if you're going to dump yourself. Going over backwards with some bindings will not release the toe and you can hurt your knees. Some of the new bindings bypass this problem.
Wrist straps on the poles: I take them completely off the poles or at least don't use them at all. If I'm going down, I don't want to sprain/break my wrists...and remember what dad use to say about running with sharp sticks in your hand.
A little boot pressure on the front of your shins increases controllability considerably.
Green is good for beginners especially wide sweeping open areas. Blue is fun but more challenging. Black is a blast but you better bring more than a day of beginner school skills with you. Moguls on any run at all suck to no end.

Troy Whistman said:
Thanks for all the advice... names and materials helps a lot, since I'm new to this. I agree about keeping them comfortable. Believe me, as teenage girls, if they're miserable, Mom and I will be miserable too! ;-)

Do you buy this stuff online? One ski site I was at recommended GearDirect.com and BuySkis.com. I'm looking for good stuff at bargain prices (discounted)... aren't we all!?

Leeettle, thin chemical heat wafers for under the toes, so you can buckle down your ski boots tight for max control, yet not have cold or numb feet that you can't feel when you're trying to steer. One of the best inventions EVER for skiing and cold weather ops.

BTW, while I think snowboarding is an abomination and should be banned by Constitutional amendment (even though I grew up boarding on the Ur-snowboard, the Snurfer, and my sister and one brother have gone to the darkside), I think your daughters might be more into boarding. The boots are more comfy, that's for sure.

I have to disagree with Frank. There's frugal, then there's cheap. Vinyl rainsuits over denim, in CO, for skiing? No way. That vinyl will keep all the sweat inside, and since the cotton denim provides almost no insulation when moist, well, you're in trouble. Cold cold cold. Cold = miserable. If you want cheap, go to an army-navy store and buy surplus wool pants. At least they'll insulate when wet.

If you want to save your money, by all means economize. If you buy anything, just make sure you spring for one set of polypro longjohns (like HellyHansen LIFA, or REI has cheaper versions) per person and 2 pairs of good ski socks. They dry so quickly you can wash them out every night. Even if you do nothing else, you will be damn glad you have a wicking inner layer. NO COTTON!

If you wear contacts, I suggest goggles. I can't ski without them, as my eyes water and the contacts slip. Otherwise, just wear sunglasses.

Troy Whistman said:
I'm trying to expose my daughters to experiences my wife and I didn't get to have growing up.

To add to all the skiing stuff... I've gotta give you compliments on this!

2) The lessons include ski rental. When you rent skis/equipment, what does the package usually include? What's NOT included that I'll need to buy before going up there?

Generally, skis/boots/poles are included. Stylish, expensive snow-bunny clothing is not. ;)

I'll tell you the story of how I learned how to ski and hopefully you can get something useful from it.

My parents were more into X-C skiing and had never downhilled. My uncle lived in Utah and was a big-time skier, ski patroller and everything. We went out to visit for Sprink Break one year, with the idea that we'd do lots of skiing.

Day One: Alta. Bunny hill? What's that? My very first chairlift ride was an hour long, after which we jumped right onto another chairlift that was 45 minutes long. Don't ever listen to your mother even if she thinks she knows everything. Her advice: "If you get into trouble, just sit down." That's what you do with cross country skiing, not downhill. Downhill, the boots prevent you from getting your butt on the ground. So, after nearly two hours on the chairlift, I made it less than thirty seconds before doing a very painful spread-eagle face-plant into the snow. :( It took the rest of the day to make it back to the bottom of the hill. Ugh.

Day two: Snowbird. They have a bunny hill. I spent the entire day there. At first, it took me 20 minutes of snowplowing very slowly to get down the hill. My sister was totally kicking my butt at the beginning of the day! However, I kept at it and got better and better and by the end of the day I was bombing down the bunny hill and having a great time. :yes:

Day three: Back to Alta. Using my new-found skills, I rode up the chairlift again, and it only took me maybe a half hour or so to get down, instead of the entire day. My last run of the day only took 15 minutes, and I was really enjoying myself finally.

After getting back home, I convinced my parents to sign me up for the ski club at the other end of our road. 5 short runs, but with rope tows so you get back to the top of the hill almost as fast as you got down. I'd build jumps and go off them, and had a great time for the next few years, skiing 4-5 times a week. Whee! :goofy:

I don't ski much any more, but mostly because the rest of my family didn't really get into it like I did, and I don't have any ski-enthusiast friends either. Plus, lift tickets are getting god-awful expensive, and I don't ski enough to make the club membership worthwhile either. :( But, i did get to the point where skiing is like riding a bike - As soon as I buckle in and step into the bindings, I feel right at home and usually head straight for the black diamonds even if I haven't skied in a couple of years.

Have fun! And I hope this little tale was worth something - It's the kid's perspective. :)

fgcason said:
For warmth: Think LAYERS. You get hot, you take stuff off. You get cold, put it on. Many times I've been skiing in just a partially unzipped parka shell and tshirt and still warm - in January. Other times I could walk to the South Pole Station without getting cold. If it's sunny out, unless you can shed layers you'll combust then freeze.

Great tips and advice, guys. Thanks. This will help my girls take the leap.

This begs another of my "stupid questions" that shows my slope ignorance... if you're out skiing, where do you put/store these layers you're shedding?? Somebody else mentioned a backpack with snacks and water... you're not really skiing wearing a backpack, are you?

I've been skiing since I was about 10 (you'd think I'd be good at it by now but that's not so) with plenty of time in the Rockies and a few other good ski venues. Here's some tidbits:

There are several ways of doing this, you can stay in a resort condo on the hill or off, in a hotel on or off the hill, or in a motel not directly associated with a particular ski area for which you'd need a vehicle. In many cases there are associations between neighboring areas with shuttle bus service to get from one resort to another, but I recommend you stay at and ski one resort only at this point.

Consider going to Utah instead. Park City is probably the best all around family oriented beginner to intermediate ski area around and it's a lot less crowed than any ski resort near Denver. Another good beginner/intermediate Utah resort is Brighton at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon, but AFaIK there is little or no lodging there. The weekend crowds at the ski areas close enough to Denver to drive up for the day tend to get totally overrun on many weekends to the point where there will be 30-60 minute waits in line at each lift.

I'd think about renting equipment in town for the duration of your stay if you are sure you will stick with skiing. This can cost quite a bit less than picking up gear on the hill but the in-area shops are more convenient if you need to try something different and/or need adjustments. Some of the in-town shops also have a store at the bigger areas though.

Reserve your place in the ski school a couple weeks before you arrive, it's often difficult to get into classes on the first day you get there. IIRC some package deals include lessons. BTW there are three different kinds of lesson formats: group, semi-private, and private (in order from least to most expensive). I recommend you look into a semi-private for the first lesson with all of your family together. After that you can split up according to ability but this way the parents can assist the kids with things they can't handle on their own and the cost for your size bunch won't be all that much more than a full group where you get considerably less attention.

There are also "guided mountain tours" at some resorts that can handle beginners after a day of lessons and this is probably the best way to learn about the different regions of a ski area.

As to the ski vs board issue, you will all progress much quicker at first on skis but the kids might well prefer to board since that's more of an "in" thing today. Typically you will be able to ride skis sufficiently well to tackle groomed easy to intermediate runs within an hour with proper instruction, but beginning boarders rarely make it off the bunny hill (which has so little slope you can hardly tell which way is down) by the end of their first full day. I've seen beginners spend a couple hours on a board before they can stand up for a couple hundred feet on the gentlest of slopes, and they usually end up spending most of their time falling down. Once you get the hang of the proper stance and how to edge into and through a turn without crashing, a young person can progress fairly rapidly though. It's just that the initial learning curve is much steeper on a board than on skis. You might try convincing the kids to try skis on the first day and going to snowboards after that it they want.

If they do go with snowboarding, make absolutely sure you provide them with snowboarding mittens that have built in wrist supports or get separate ones. Broken arms just above the wrist are very common injuries for beginning boarders and the wrist guards significantly reduce the chances of that. Plus try to have them in proper clothing, something that is very waterproof and loose, but breathable (you get a lot hotter and sweat a lot more on a board because of the constant getting up and falling down).

Expect to pay three to four times what you are used to for food at any resort. They have a captive clientelle and they milk it for all they can get. All resorts have one or more areas where you can eat food you bring, and that can save $50/day or more.

Wear sun protection for your face and eyes. The sun is far more potent in the mountains and you can get a bad burn in the middle of the winter even when the sun is partially blocked by clouds and the reflected glare from the snow is really bad for your eyes.

Finally, this may not be an issue depending on how fast you progress, but do not under any circumstance ski out of bounds. You may see others skiing out or on closed runs, but this is dangerous and in some cases illegal. The regular runs are well patrolled and avalanche free, but there are serious life threatening hazards off the maintained trails at most resorts.

Troy Whistman said:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001&productId=48067675&parent_category_rn=29833446&vcat=OUTLET_HP_PP

Stupid question, but I don't know winter-wear terminology: When they say "base layer", do they mean these would be your underwear? Or just below your outerwear? I read that you should not wear cotton underwear (gets wet, cold, doesn't wick away moisture). Is this the appropriate replacement, or something else?

I wouldn't get too carried away with the ski clothing at first. You do need some kind of waterproof leg covering and they are pretty much skiing oriented, but conventional long johns (two pair if it's cold) under blue jeans will work as long as they are covered by something waterproof. You will need good gloves or mittens (mittens are warmer, but less comfortable IMO). Someone else suggested Thurlo socks and that's what I use. If you have problems with blisters in shoes chances are you will blister a heel or two in ski boots, especially rentals (if you buy any equipment, get your own boots). Some adhesive tape over the susceptible areas on your heels is a good preventative measure if you have this problem (I do). When you decide how many layers of clothing to wear consider that the temps will likely be 10-15F cooler up the mountain (if you are headed there) than at the base and the wind can be considerably higher as well.

On the helmet issue, while I always wear one and strongly recommend them for skiing but I'm usually cruising fast enough and/or working my way between the trees where one mistake can lead to a big crash. The kind of falls you'll be taking the first few days don't really push the need for a helmet so I'd consider them optional at this point (see my wrist guard recommendation above though). For boarding OTOH, it's way too easy to catch an edge and fall hard (I've bruised more ribs that way in the little boarding I've done than in all the skiing crashes over the last 45 years) so a helmet would be a really good idea there. I think you can rent them along with the equipment, but I've never done so.

Troy Whistman said:
Great tips and advice, guys. Thanks. This will help my girls take the leap.

This begs another of my "stupid questions" that shows my slope ignorance... if you're out skiing, where do you put/store these layers you're shedding?? Somebody else mentioned a backpack with snacks and water... you're not really skiing wearing a backpack, are you?

I often take a knapsack along but I usually ditch it somewhere alongside the hill so I don't have to deal with riding the lifts with it. Generally, if I started with about the right amount of clothing all I need to do adjustment wise is to open or close a few zippers. If things really warm up, I might take off my coat or sweater and tie it around my waist. I wouldn't plan on wearing a backback or knapsack when you are first learning to ski, it will interfere with your balance and worse yet get hung up on the lifts. Plus if you have anything hard in it, you can get a nasty bruise when you fall on it (and you will). The bigger areas usually have rental lockers at the base and/or in the on-slope chalets, but these are often full up and/or inconvenient so I wouldn't count on them. Lunchtime is usually a good time to make a clothing adjustment and if you come down to the base (if you are on the bunny hill you will already be there) you can stash them in the lodge or in your car if you have one.

And speaking of lunch, if you do purchase your food at the resort, try to avoid eating between 11:30 and 1:30 (might not be possible with lessons). During that time period the slopes will be nearly empty (no lines) and the eateries will be jammed. The best plan is to start you day early enough that you are ready to take your first ride (or lesson) as early as possible, pause for lunch at 11 or 11:30 am, ski through the "lunch hour" and take a second break around 2 if you're tired or cold.

Troy Whistman said:

A pack works if you want to go that route. Just armor your sandwiches if you're carrying them lest you end up with smooshwiches instead. Sometimes taking the outer shell off and wrapping it around your waist under the jacket works until you can get rid of it.

This is probably totally useless to others however I found that based on how I handle temperatures while hiking is real close to how I need to dress for skiing. I take a decent guess then go a bit cooler and make a few runs. There's no rule saying you can't go back to the car to dump/add stuff if necessary. Getting there early and parking close to the lifts reduces the turnaround time.

Troy skiing is an excellent family activity. and great exercise. I am 43 and have been an avid skiier since I was about 11. there are a lot of grat skii resorets for familyies and fist timers, Vermont, Colorado, Utah what ever. You have made an excellent choice for an activity. I like Stratton Mtn in Vermont. But there are great places all over the country. here is my advice.

1) Lessons. For first timers GET PRIVATE LESSONS FOR EACH.

2) Dont' make your kids stay on the mountain any longer than they want to . If you want them to get into this then you can't push them

3) Rent equipment at the mountain since you are traveling so far. If something does not fit its best that your rental location is near by for exchanges

4) With out a doubt rent a helmet. The girls may not want to mess their hair but please please please rent a helmet. Its a saftey thing.

5) as for clothes the following are two excellent retailers.
www.rei.com and www.campmor.com those who suggesed layering are correct. here is how I do it. Buy ' expidition weight' thermal under pants and put them on under ski bibs. You can get the thermals from REI or campmoor. Get the bibs for as low as $15.00 from any sporting goods store.

6) For tops get a light or mid weight poly propyline long sleve thermal undershirt put that on next to the skin and then a turtleneck or a fleece top ( I like fleece) and then a good winter ski jacket.

7) for socks there is IMHO only one choice ' Smart Wool 'Socks. with these you will only need one pair of socks they are awesome and warm but not to thick.

8) for golves get a good winter pair that are water resistant.

9) Goggles are important as are a good pair of sun glasses.

10) Suntan lotion and chap stick are also important

Skiing is a great family activity. I really hope you enjoy it, If you have any questions please PM me.

lancefisher said:
I've been skiing since I was about 10 (you'd think I'd be good at it by now but that's not so) with plenty of time in the Rockies and a few other good ski venues. Here's some tidbits:

Lance, thanks for taking the time to type all that out... that was a lot of effort, and my wife and I appreciate it (I just read all the POA replies to her). We're very excited to try this... we told the girls about it over dinner, and now they are all excited!

I ordered a skiing DVD ("Breakthrough on Skis I: Expert Skiing Simplified") on Amazon.com, not to replace professional instruction at the site, but just to familiarize us with what to expect and to build excitement.

Tomorrow we'll make reservations at the resort and book airline tickets, then it's time to start shopping for the clothes (don't want to leave that to the last minute).

Thank you ALL for the great advice and tips!!

Andrew I agree Snow boarding is for Monkey brained knuckle draggers. But ikf the kids want to do it at least it gets them out there

Not much to add. I'm only a recreational skiier.

Recently it seems bibs are getting harder to find. The kids seem to perefer the pants. The must look cooler. But I have seen more than one snow bunny with a bright red waist from falling and getting snow jammed onto her bare skin between the top of the snow pants, and the bottom of the cute little jacket. Get bibs.

It seems when the boarders fall they fall directly on their butt, with full force. On ski's you get to fall on many and varied parts of your anatomy. If they board they may want to wear some extra padding around the hind quarters.

Paul Allen said:
For mom and dad, nightly massage!

Now you're talking, brother!

On the theme of saving money, a soak in the hot tub and a bottle of wine is cheaper.:cheerswine:

Enjoy the trip. You'll have a great time. One more bit of advice -- just like visting DisneyWorld, don't overdo it. If you're tired, take a break. Take the time to look at the beautiful scenery. That's something I love about skiing - fresh, crisp air and beautiful mountains. It's invigorating.

Troy, my $0.02 worth. I've been skiing since I was just old enough to know better (~30 years). I have a 17 year old son who snowboards and a soon to be 20 year old daughter who skis. Here are the comments I'll offer in no particular order:

1. Let the kids pick whichever they prefer (boarding or skiing).
2. Boarding is way, way easier to learn than skiing. At the end of day #3 a newbie snowboard is capable of working advanced level slopes, i.e. blue runs in the Rocky Mtn. rating system used anywhere other than Toas ski area. OTOH, a skier at the end of day #3 will still looking at a bunny hill, cursing his/her existance, and generally will not hit that advanced level slope for quite some time to come (i.e. a year). Mind you, those first 3 days of boarding are torture--many, many episodes of what I term, "the dead fish flop"--but getting the newbie quickly past that miserable stage is why, IMO, boarding is so very, very popular.
3. Assuming the daughters opt for boarding, try to stay for day #4 (see comment #2). It is really, really gratifying for them to see the progress and actually enjoy one day of boarding before you leave the area. Your plan of three days on the mountain is just short enough that they will see it can be done, but they won't get to actually enjoy the benefit of all that pain.
4. There is no "other life" at Copper. If you are considering Summit Co., CO, I would suggest that you take the family to Breckenridge, and stay at a slopeside Condo on 4-o'clock run or the Beaver Run area. The kids can ski in/ski out. For openers, this answers the equipment & clothing storage question--take it back to the condo. Furhtermore, the town is right there, there is a town (there isn't one at Copper), the town has other things to do for both kids and adults (ice skating, recreation center, cross country skiing, snowshoe, shopping, art galleries, etc.). Most important, the kids can come & go independent of the adults. My kids & I have been skiing at Breckenridge since my son was ~10 years old and they both really, really like having a bit of indepedence, and I really, really like the safe environment. In terms of these features Park City (mentioned by Lance) is the Breckenridge of Utah.
5. If you are going to purchase one piece of ski specialty gear before going, purchase weather proof ski/boarder pants for everyone. The pants need not be top line North Face, Ascent, whatever, specialty garments designated specifically for boarding/skiing, the garments just need be something functional that will keep the lower torso & legs dry. Even generic "Goretex" shell pants will work. IOW, your everyday winter coats will do fine, your everyday winter gloves will do fine, your everyday winter hats will do fine, but blue jeans will make everyone miserable. Blue jeans tend to clump snow onto the butt & legs as a result of falling, the clumped snow melts due to body heat, and in short order the boarder/skier is cold & wet after the first dozen falls or so. Not conducive to having fun.
6. "Base layer" means as you suspected--the undergarment, first layer against the skin.
7. Layering is key. I typically ski in a one piced, Goretex, ice-climbing shell (no insulation/lining) with varying weight long underwear underneath (top & bottom) and a turtle neck shirt. I can pull the base layer weight down to lightweight silk long johns for ~20-32 degree days, or I can go to expedition weight synthetic long johns over the silk and survive well below zero in a howling blizzard. Think in those terms as you look through everyone's wardrobe packing for the trip. Typically my son or daughter will wear: a pair of synthetic long johns under blue jeans, topped by the generic Goretex pants on bottom; a synthetic long john top under a turtle neck or shirt, a sweatshirt, and then the typical synthetic/nylon shell winter coat on top; weather proof gloves or mittens and a knit hat. The above combination is probably good to go well down into the mid-teens on anything but the nastiest blizzard day. Remove layers if the day isn't that cold (or windy).
8. Goggles or wrap around sunglasses. I personally prefer wrap around shades except when the blizzard snow hits, but evevyone is different. My son and my daughter both prefer goggles.
9. Lessons are very important. Private lessons will hurt financially, and I'm not sure they are worth the extra $$ for newbies. If you all try boarding I might recommend you try a limited group lesson (just the family). The cost will be slightly more than group lessons for all, but you'll get more personalized attention and get to board/ski together. If possible, take lessons every day, not just the first day. Certainly put the boarders into lessons for the first 3 days.

I hope the family enjoys the trip. Good luck to you.

Copper is a great mountain, definitely one of my favorites, but as Ed said, there isn't much else there if you're into nightlife. Nothing to stop you from heading into one of the other towns for the evening though. Any of the ski areas will offer a good experience and competent instruction. I think a group lesson would be fine and much cheaper than private ones.

For you Troy, if you go to Copper and you're too sore to ski every day, you can always run down to Leadville and do a mountain flying lesson and maybe see you're family from the air. Also, make sure that wherever you stay has a hot tub. Your legs will thank you for that.

Jon

Ex-PSIA instructor here - I echo some the advice above that

1) Group lessons are great for little kids. Teenage girls will have a better time in private lessons with a female instructor - at least for the first day (or two) - while I realize this is more $ I'm not in the union anymore ;) and I really believe this helps. Do group lessons later once they can get around a little. As for the ski vs snowboard issue - I personally hate snowboards and most snowboarders too :) but no use forcing something on your children that they don't want. If they want to snowboard, let them snowboard.

2) Copper Mountain is an excellent choice - lots to do and some good beginner terrain. Don't know much about the ski school there but all large resorts are about the same. Had a great time myself once...but that is another story ;) It is no Aspen or Vail but the nightlife is adequate especially for a family - you can find more in the nearby town of Frisco ( five minute drive.)

3) Clothing - don't break the bank, but don't skimp either. The capilene/poly long undies are worth every penny and if you buy nothing else for you, the girls and the wife buy these. Teenage girls will appreciate looking stylish but you don't have to buy outerwear at REI, at least at first. Stores like Sportsman's Warehouse or even Sams Club or Walmart in colder climes have nice off-brand ski jackets, gloves and pants that look nice but won't cost an ASU for three kids. Also...socks - I'm picky about ski socks, because the socks are what keep your feet warm. Buy thin smartwool or technical polyester socks, keep them dry until you put your ski boot on. I wear other socks in the morning and don't put my ski socks on until right before my boots, to keep them dry.

The only thing that contains a single thread of cotton that should be attached to your body in winter outdoor sports is the handkerchief in your pocket.

4) Ski rentals - don't let them talk you into renting equipment upgrades for lessons. The basic stuff will work just fine. You are better off spending any extra $ on clothing, not equipment.

5) Wear sunscreen and UV protectant lip stuff! Some of the worst sunburns I got as a kid were in the winter! Don't forget the ears!

6) Fortunately helmets are cool nowadays, so you probably won't have to talk the girls into wearing them. Plus they are warm! I always wear mine, even if I am just cruising the groomers.

Have f-u-n fun.

Last edited:
No way. If God wanted us sliding down mountains .. he would have
given us big long flat feet.

Well, you wanted advice, so here is one more thing: If you rent your equipment for more than one day, take the liners out of the boot shells at night and put them on/next to the heater. Your feet will stay warmer/dryer the next day. Top complaint from kids on the ski slope (along with frostbitten faces and sunburn?) Cold feet. Big thick socks or multiple socks do not prevent this, the ski/snowboard boots already have really thick liners. Dry feet prevent this, along with boots which are fitted correctly.

RogerT said:
No way. If God wanted us sliding down mountains .. he would have
given us big long flat feet.

But he did give many of us a big a$$ which slides downhill pretty well.:yes:

*This is a disclaimer....Leah, ex ski racer is responding to this post, not Tony the flat landed Iowan.....

First off with the basics, a few people have mentioned bunny hills and black diamonds. The level of difficulty from easiest to hardest is: bunny hill, green circle, blue square, black diamond, and double black. For those new to the sport of either snowboarding or skiing I would wait until the last day to to attempt anything above a green circle.

On the subject of 1 full day of lessons or 2 1/2 days I would say that the 2 1/2 days would be more beneficial. Have the lessons in the morning, and then after a lunch break, go out and explore the mountain yourself.

I have never skied at Copper, but the general rental packet for skisinclude boots, skis , and poles, though as raw beginners I would recomend not using the poles, though your instructors will prob tell you what they prefer. Poles are for timing on your turns and while nice when moving from lift to lift at the bottom of the hill they are one more thing to worry about tripping over and crossing when learning.

Clothes, I would avoid wearing jeans at all. You do not have to go all high tech but jeans have a tendency to get bunch when tucked into boots, sweat pants will make for less bruising and fleece pants would be ideal. Thuro is a good brand, I tend to use smart wool socks but anything non cotton will work.

Let the girls pick what they want to learn, I started skiing when I was 3 and have stuck with it, choosing out of pride not to learn how to snow board(aka I would rather be on the blacks than bruised wet and cold on the bunny hill with a snowboard...they say the longer you have been skiing the harder it is to make the switch). My brother however started out skiing and made the switch over to the "dark side :)" and loves it, you really can't go wrong either way.

Colorado is a great place, I have done, Vail, Steamboat(best instructors by far), and Breckenridge. Spring skiing normally has better deals and less crowds than the winter break rush. Packing a bag lunch is a good way to spend the day on the slopes on a budget as the chalets are always over priced, lockers are good, but a lot of people stick their stuff under tables at their own risk.

Best of luck on your vacation, sorry for the novel
Leah

Thanks for all the tips, Leah and everyone else!! We went to REI over the weekend (there's not a lot of places/choices in Texas to go see and touch ski clothes) just to find out sizes and stuff. Got some great help from the lady that worked in that department, her advice matched what we're hearing here exactly.

I wrote down the REI item numbers and prices, we went home and added it all up... about $500 per person (before footwear, gloves, goggles, hats or helmets).

Then I started shopping it around. Can get good ski coats for $35-$45 off overstock.com, ski pants or bibs from JCPenney, etc. Not any way to do this cheap (5 people), but will try to do it frugally (but RIGHT), for sure.

Back