First time on instruments

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Night IMC no less.

Had a scheduled training flight last night (still working on my PP), but the weather never cleared during the day as forecast. CFI says not to worry, we'll just do instrument work in IMC instead of under the hood another day. No problem, says I.

Sunset at 8PM, take off at 8PM into overcast at 1100'. Didn't see the ground or anything else again until landing, about 1.5 hrs later.

Wow, that's a lot of work. I was expecting disorientation to be the major distraction, but it was just the cockpit workload that surprised me. CFI did most (clearances, communications, ...), leaving me to follow the course and fly the plane.

I now have a new respect for the thought and effort that went into the instruments and their layout on the panel.

Maintaining wings level required constant attention, but altitude changes were the hardest for me. I ended up oscillating quite a bit each time until getting things under control.

Fun, a whole lot of fun, but after landing and a deep breath, I could feel the stress I'd been under.

At this point, I don't see how anybody can do this single-pilot. Nope, no way.

Matt

Ken Ibold said:
The same way they get to Carnegie Hall.

LOL! That applies both to instrument pilots and instrumentalists!

--Carnegie Hall vet.

Matthew said:
At this point, I don't see how anybody can do this single-pilot. Nope, no way.
Matt

Ooh yes, the night IMC conditions. Now you see what you DO NOT want to get into until you get the proper training. Good for you, you've learned something. Single pilot IFR is the hardest thing that I have ever done. The stress load is very high at times. When I get out of the plane after just a 2 hour flight I am soaked with sweat and very tired. It DOES get better as you gain experience but I haven't gotten there yet. I do feel confident to handle it but only for a few hours and I would call it quits and find an alternate and land for a nice long nap :). Good luck with your PP.

Back