First Time: Flight Following + Bravo Entry

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
First off, thanks to others pitched in on the other thread regarding flight following:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/new-to-flight-following-questions.108717/

Well why not just throw it all in at once. On Saturday we decided to fly to a new restaurant directly on the other side of the KMSP bravo. I had called FSS in advance for a full briefing, mainly looking for any funky NOTAM's, especially TFRs since it was St.Paul and St.Patty's day. It was a perfect flying day: temps in the 40's, clouds at 15000, winds calm, unlimited viz. No excuses!

Departed our little airport. Climbed up to 3500 and was about 10 miles outside the Mode C veil before making the call. Now, during training with CFI#1 we had tried to get into the Bravo twice...no joy. I had a hunch it was because we were under the Bravo already and our destination would take us directly across the KMSP, possibly while climbing. But this time we were a ways out, altitude established and it was clear from our calling location that going around would be a PITA.

After the initial order to squawk XXXX followed my ACK and his "Radar contact" the Bravo entry clearance was literally just like 30 seconds! During my training attempts they always waited until we had just about hit the ring. It actually took about 10 minutes of flying until we actually entered the bravo.

Vectoring was rather simple. He inquired if I was familiar with Flying Cloud (where I trained) so instead of just "affirmative" I said something dorky like "affirmative, flew there a lot last summer". Too much chatter. But thankfully it was a bit quiet on frequency at the time. Anyway, he just said to maintain altitude, alter course to overfly FCM and expect vectors then - did that, first time I had ever flown over the old stompin' grounds.

I was most apprehensive about two things.

First: When could I sneak in listening to the destination ATIS in advance since I knew it would be needed. After we were instructed to overfly the Delta I tried but nothing. Then duh, pulled out the squelch...got it! Whiskey...fitting for St.Pat's day.

The second thing I was apprehensive about was the final vectoring into the destination. I had been there twice but never landing from the North. I didn't know how they would get me down and how far east I could get of the downtown and Capital. Well that was worrying about nothing. About 3 minutes after we had flown over the north end KMSP (that was cool!!! - Southwest plane on final right below us!) he just said "Maintain VFR, descend at your discretion and contact STP on XXX.XX".

We probably flew right over the capital! My wife was like "you probably want to start descending now." I was like "This is new to me, its all city, the river isn't iced up anymore and the runway is like 8000ft long. So I came in a little high and brought on flaps at the last minute. I wanted to be able to glide to that airport :)

One the way out I requested FF and bravo entrance from Ground. We got the FF but not Bravo. I think I was too polite. Plus I didn't have my exact on-course heading so I guessed it. Had I said 270 I think we would have got it. But I guessed 220 (which was more accurate) and got the "Remain outside the bravo".

To end FF on the way back they terminated a bit earlier than I expected. I was gonna go with it about 5 more miles. I could tell my wife was getting itchy to hear the AWOS and Unicom traffic. My goal in learning FF was to end it myself. Now I have an idea of where they might close it out now.

This was also our first flight with the GDL 39 3D. Wow, was there traffic! At one point we counted over 40 planes. I would say about 10 at any time were the big guys. The rest were probably GA. We don't have ADS-B out yet so probably even more. Approach probably called traffic to us 3 times on the way in and 4 times on the way back. On the way back was a great example of not trusting ADS-B in. He called out another plane 500 ft above and about a mile ahead. We passed fairly close. Definitely was not on the traffic display. And other times my wife would look at the traffic display and find the traffic immediately. So we're not dissing it either.

It was great having my wife with. She hasn't flown for the airlines in many years. And probably only flown in the Bravo (or whatever it was before that) just once. I think she was more nervous that me. But she was writing down everything for me which was great. It was a bit hard to hear approach about 40 miles out but she heard it fine. So maybe my hearing, weaker signal and the QT Halo's had me at a disadvantage. Still thinking about that???

FlightAware: Yep we showed up and I could see our return track afterwards. But I couldn't see the first flight there. I have an account but I'm thinking you need to pay to see anything past an active or most recently completed flight.

Sounds like you had as much fun as we did today, just less bumpy.

For that descent thing, you know one of the info fields you can use in ForeFlight is “Decent Rate to Destination” right?

Nice to be lazy and not do the math in your head. Cheating.

:)

Welcome to the Bravo.

Sounds like you had as much fun as we did today, just less bumpy.

For that descent thing, you know one of the info fields you can use in ForeFlight is “Decent Rate to Destination” right?

Nice to be lazy and not do the math in your head. Cheating.

:)

Welcome to the Bravo.
It was a blast!!! Probably much like yourself, flying with the wife (and daughter) is a treat.

I'm a lowly GP user, probably no fancy descent calculator :( But I honestly wanted to stay high. I had never basically done a long right base - directly ABOVE OUR STATE CAPITOL! Then houses, bridges and interstate everywhere. Plus the ole' Mississippi had the cold blue ominous look. For some reason flying that long final about 500ft high felt reassuring. Now if that runway had been 3000ft, we'd be talkin' a whole different story. Just like anything in flying...now I want to go and do it again and do it better.

Last edited:
.l..One the way out I requested FF and bravo entrance from Ground. We got the FF but not Bravo. I think I was too polite. Plus I didn't have my exact on-course heading so I guessed it. Had I said 270 I think we would have got it. But I guessed 220 (which was more accurate) and got the "Remain outside the bravo".

To end FF on the way back.................

STP Tower may have some agreement with Approach where they can give Bravo clearances off the ground but my guess is no. If they did it would very likely be the reverse of what Approach gave you on the way in. Your guess that giving them 270 instead of 220 says you were thinking about that. When they asked for your on-course heading, giving them "direct Minneapolis, Direct Flying Cloud" instead of 'numbers' would be the thing to do. Get St Paul's phone number, give em a call and say "I was wondering about something...
........." and see what you find out.

It was a blast!!! Probably much like yourself, flying with the wife (and daughter) is a treat.

I'm a lowly GP user, probably no fancy descent calculator :( But I honestly wanted to say high. I had never basically done a long right base - directly ABOVE OUR STATE CAPITOL! Then houses, bridges and interstate everywhere. Plus the ole' Mississippi had the cold blue ominous look. For some reason flying that long final about 500ft high felt reassuring. Now if that runway had been 3000ft, we'd be talkin' a whole different story. Just like anything in flying...now I want to go and do it again and do it better.
Keeping a little extra altitude over water can be a good thing. You’re prolly used to the downdrafts that can develop over cold water adjacent to warm(ish) land. Out here in the desert we might forget about them.

During my training attempts they always waited until we had just about hit the ring. It actually took about 10 minutes of flying until we actually entered the bravo.

That is one thing I have learned...once on with approach controller and you make a Bravo request, unless they tell you "remain clear" you can pretty much expect that it will eventually come. LAX for example, SoCal is notorious for not issuing the actual clearance till you are face to face with that blue line!

One the way out I requested FF and bravo entrance from Ground. We got the FF but not Bravo. I think I was too polite. Plus I didn't have my exact on-course heading so I guessed it. Had I said 270 I think we would have got it. But I guessed 220 (which was more accurate) and got the "Remain outside the bravo".

If Mom say no just wait a bit and ask Dad. If Ground can't accommodate just make that request again once you are handed off to departure and you will usually be taken care of.

That is one thing I have learned...once on with approach controller and you make a Bravo request, unless they tell you "remain clear" you can pretty much expect that it will eventually come. LAX for example, SoCal is notorious for not issuing the actual clearance till you are face to face with that blue line!

If Mom say no just wait a bit and ask Dad. If Ground can't accommodate just make that request again once you are handed off to departure and you will usually be taken care of.

This. I've never gotten a Bravo clearance from Ground. You can state your intentions, and they might be communicated to approach, but you won't get clearance until you're with the Bravo Tower or Approach.

For instance, from KSQL, you go straight to KSFO tower and they'll either issue you a clearance for the low transition or you'll be told to stay clear and contact NORCAL. NORCAL might be able to give you the high transition in Bravo, or you'll get another remain clear and have the option of going over KOAK or heading out to the coast. Sometimes, you get a "Circle south of Millbrae BART station". That's always fun. Hope you're alone or your feet work, 'cause otherwise you'll have a sick passenger pretty quick. Circling tightly at 1500' right next to the runway will definitely get your attention!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...ac0a3ccc3e7571!8m2!3d37.600271!4d-122.3867068

Ah..a question: On the way there I was given a squawk code starting with 0 (like 0242). On the way back I was given a higher digit squawk code (like 4228). I thought I read somewhere that the ones starting with zero mean something different.

Was it because my initial use, coming from the outer rim :))) and landing at a controlled airport under the Bravo was different than the FF only or maybe because my destination was a uncontrolled airport?

Ah..a question: On the way there I was given a squawk code starting with 0 (like 0242). On the way back I was given a higher digit squawk code (like 4228). I thought I read somewhere that the ones starting with zero mean something different.

Was it because my initial use, coming from the outer rim :))) and landing at a controlled airport under the Bravo was different than the FF only or maybe because my destination was a uncontrolled airport?

A lot of facilities have a zero series for local VFR codes. Not always though. My old facility had 4501-4507.

I’d be willing to bet you didn’t have 4228 on the way home though. ;)

Last edited:
Squawk codes starting with 0 are local to the approach facility and will be given on initial call-up unless they know your destination will require hand-off to another facility other than a local tower. They usually give the code before even knowing/entering your destination in the system so it's almost always a 0 when you cold call them. When you got a code from ground/CD they knew your destination so you got a beacon code that could be handed off to a different facility.

A lot of facilities have a zero series for local codes. No always though. My old facility had 4501-4507.
My understanding is that if it is a zero code it is local. Obviously I haven't worked the other side of the mic like you so this is really a question. Can a zero code be anything but local?

Usually the ones starting with 0 are local codes.

Look at that three replies while I was reading :D

My understanding is that if it is a zero code it is local. Obviously I haven't worked the other side of the mic like you so this is really a question. Can a zero code be anything but local?

Yeah. Especially much of the 02, 03 and 04 subsets are delegated to Approach controls for local use. Leading zeros cover a lot of other uses. Google 'National Beacon Code Allocation Program.' NBCAP will do it

Other than the non discrete series, Oceanic and of course local, no other NAS codes that I know of are a zero series. I was just stating that not all facilities use the zero series for local codes.

Back