First time dealing with drafts and turbulence near a small ridge in C152

B

bayareapilot

I'm a freshly-minted PPL. Wanted to go on a bay tour but Norcal wasn't doing surface transitions, so I elected to fly north up the coast (half moon bay, pacifica, to golden gate bridge). As I was flying along, there is a part of the Bravo that has a 1600 foot ceiling, so I descended to 2000ft in preparation. This put me close to St. Pedro Point, and as I got closer I noticed my aircraft had a nose-high attitude, falling airspeed, dropping altitude despite no change in power setting. As I passed the ridge, I ran into some serious turbulence (for a C152), and then finally some updrafts (much to my relief). After Sharp Park (VPSSP) it was all smooth sailing.

Lessons learned:
  • I didn't expect such a small ridge to produce such a strong downdraft and turbulence. I'll fly much higher next time (the bravo shelf is 4000 there so I could have easily done so)
  • I should be more cognizant of mountain wave and turbulence even by small mountains. I had only expected to find them around the larger, higher altitude mountains near Lake Tahoe
  • I had actually considered it was mountain wave activity from the initial downdrafts, but I didn't expect the wind to come from the northeast. After the flight, I did see that KHAF and KSFO were reporting different wind directions (SFO 270, KHAF 020), which would explain the wind over the ridge.
  • If this were to happen again, I should have turned away from the ridge. I had plenty of space to do so, the whole ocean was to my left and I was in no danger of being trapped.
  • I'm lucky I only encountered slight downdrafts and manageable turbulence, I was only pushed from 2000ft, to 1800ft, to 2400ft

Check the weather models and NWS weather/hazards map to look at weather stations on the ridge tops.

I flew STS to LVK (livermore) this morning and fully expected bumps on the leeward side of Mt Diablo due to 25 mph offshore winds at the summit.. and that's exactly what I got. It happens a lot up here in Sonoma County, where Mt St Helena will cause weird bumps many miles downstream when the offshore winds blow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back