First time buyer questions

jdennis1989

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jdennis1989
I am in the very beginning stages of buying my first plane. I know a reputable person who is selling a 1949 Bonanza. He is wanting in the neighborhood of 27k for it. It has 250 hours on a 225hp conversion engine.

The little research that I've done so far seems to be a mix of good and bad. Does anyone here have a lot of experience with bonanzas, especially older models like this one.

Would this plane be ok for a fairly low time pilot. My mission is weekend pattern flying with the occasional short 1 hr trip.

Also how many years can I expect on a loan? Looking to put down 4-5k on it. Is that normal?

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Also, its been bellied before. Repaired.

Fresh annual this month

250 on a 225 Hp conversion from an original 185 HP. Garmin 430, HSI new Stec 30 AP with altitude hold new King intercom/audio panel

I am in the very beginning stages of buying my first plane. I know a reputable person who is selling a 1949 Bonanza. He is wanting in the neighborhood of 27k for it. It has 250 hours on a 225hp conversion engine.

The little research that I've done so far seems to be a mix of good and bad. Does anyone here have a lot of experience with bonanzas, especially older models like this one.

Would this plane be ok for a fairly low time pilot. My mission is weekend pattern flying with the occasional short 1 hr trip.

Also how many years can I expect on a loan? Looking to put down 4-5k on it. Is that normal?

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

You really want a 62 year old airplane?

I've owned a number of early Bonanzas. The good and bad from my POV.

Good: Fast/efficient, very good handling, easy flying and landing. Good looking planes. Takes auto gas by STC. Gear is stout as heck.

Bad: They are old. Age affects a lot of things, and it needs to be maintained well. The E225 is harder to support than most every other engine. The Beech prop is very hard to support. Loading graph is fairly narrow. It will tail wag in mod turbulence.

As far as low time, it's not hard to manage. Takes a little more than a Cessna but it's still pretty easy. The gear switch on the piano panel takes getting used to, but once you are it's a non-issue. It is more of a travelling plane than a weekend fun plane. Most all of them have been on their belly at some time. It's no issue if it was repaired right, and it's a common failure, so repairs are well known.

Specific things to check on the A35:

1 The gear retract is slow. It should retract in 20 seconds or so, if it's over 30 seconds something is clearly wrong.

2 Look at the moving ruddervator surfaces for corrosion, also the trailing part of the flaps and ailerons.

3 While you're back there, inspect the trim tabs, and insure they are on right side up, and they are fitted on the piano hinge wire correctly, and the trim cables are in the phenolic guides in the ruddervator. You'll need a Bonanza expert for this one.

4 A35 used a battery box sticking out of the firewall, and at some SN along the way, it was recessed into the firewall. If it was recessed in, open the door and check the base of the battery tray for corrosion. It WILL have some, but make sure it doesn't go all the way through or has been cut out and a new section riveted in.

5 Look at the acc case of the engine below the generator for oil. There is going to be oil back there. It'll be on the top of the gear well, just make sure there isn't gallons down there.

6 Put someone in the plane, and you get down on the ground in front of the nose gear. Have a flashlight shining up in the retract well, and then have the guy in the seat push the left and right rudder pedals while you hold the nose tire. Watch all that linkage from the rear of the gear well, down to the scissor linkage. There will be some slop in that linkage, but it shouldn't be too much. The scissor bushings are replaceable and so is the arm pivot bushing up on the stud on the wall of the retract housing.

7 While you are down there, look at the two boots in the back of the nose gear retract well. A WELL maintained plane will have new boots down there. Changing those boots is one of the crappiest, messiest, and uncomfortable jobs in the history of aviation, which is why no one changes them, but they need to be changed to keep heat and oil out of the cockpit.

8 Use the flashlight and an inspection mirror and inspect the entire spinner backing plate for cracks. If you don't find any cracks, it will be a first in Bonanza history. Backing plates often have several welds on them, some have reinforcing plates on both sides.

9 Open the cowl, and locate the longitudinal motor mount bolts and rubber bushings(motor mounts) in the front. They are behind the exhaust stack. See if the motor mount is sagging, it'll have a droop to the rubber piece. These motor mounts should be rotated 180 deg every annual and it's a crappy job so it doesn't get done all the time.

10 Use the light and look at the underside of the pushrod tubes. Look closely for pitting or corrosion. Once they corrode through they have to be replaced. Water accumulates on these tube and they will corrode over time.

I have a lot more but this should keep you busy for a while.

Back