First Tailwheel Session - 1947 J3

Roger Wyatt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RogerW
First time flying something different than the Tecnam P92 in which I trained. Sweet 1947 J3. No flaps. Fun plane to fly. Really made me work the rudder because the huge ailerons caused significant adverse yaw. Also damn easy to fly.

Did 3 point landings on asphalt and they were no problem. The rollout still needs work as I was over correcting.

Tomorrow are wheel landings.

What a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did 3 point landings on asphalt and they were no problem. The rollout still needs work as I was over correcting.
That rollout is where the trouble usually happens. Remember to fly the airplane until it's tied down. Never take your attention off it or it will bite. That's what has spoiled the usual trike pilot: the trike will want to track straight ahead unless there's a crosswind, and even then it's tame. You soon found out what rudder pedals are for, eh?

Yup, it's a blast. Just wait until crosswind lessons come up; that will make you a real pilot real quick. Lots of aileron and rudder. Keep flying it.

Yep. You can’t relax until the engine is off.

We talked about what I was feeling and we think I was keeping pressure on both pedals like I would in a Tecnam, and that just make me use too much pressure to overcome the other foot.

Tomorrow I’ll work it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back