First Student to Solo

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
Woo Hoo, I soloed my first student this morning. Congratulations to Gus H. for a great job. :cheerswine: I would have soloed him last Saturday, but he didn't have his renters insurance in place yet. Gus is my first student and the first of my 3 students to solo with 22 hours in the log book. Not a record, but being my first, I was a little cautious,:yes: and he was in no hurry, said he would rather be good than quick. My kind of student. I was as excited as he was, did pictures as well as video. Check that pilot grin!

Don

Attachments

• DSCF0140.JPG
    DSCF0140.JPG
    608.2 KB · Views: 40
Congratulations, Don!

So what's better? Soloing, or letting someone solo?

SkyHog said:
Congratulations, Don!

So what's better? Soloing, or letting someone solo?

I think my first solo was better, although this was a close second. I am sure after soloing several, it won't be as big of a deal. The first one you send out alone makes ya a little nervous though.

Don

a little nervous? i think i drank about 3 Dr. Peppers by the time my first student had completed the first landing. i was confident in him, but dangit, i wasnt there to save it if he messed up!

tonycondon said:
a little nervous? i think i drank about 3 Dr. Peppers by the time my first student had completed the first landing. i was confident in him, but dangit, i wasnt there to save it if he messed up!

Dr. Peppers, lol that is funny, I drink them like their going outta style.
The wife gives me hell about it, lol
Don

Congrats Don!

Interesting fact --- Dr. Pepper is the oldest soda in production, invented in Waco, TX in 1885.

Last edited:
yea don, i drank DP like water for a long time. last christmas decided ive had enough soda and havent had any since. dont really miss it now but the bite of dr pepper sure is tempting sometimes

tonycondon said:
yea don, i drank DP like water for a long time. last christmas decided ive had enough soda and havent had any since. dont really miss it now but the bite of dr pepper sure is tempting sometimes

menu_drpepper.jpg

pepper.jpg

Don Jones said:
I think my first solo was better, although this was a close second. I am sure after soloing several, it won't be as big of a deal. The first one you send out alone makes ya a little nervous though.

Don
My primary helicopter instructor was a retired Army instructor and check airman with a bizillion hours. As soon as he figured I wasn't going to crash the helicopter into a building or airplane or something, he went into the FBO building, and didn't come back out again until I completed my last pattern and had set the helicopter down on the ramp ;)

Congrats Don (and Gus), that's very cool. I see you're in Las Cruces -- that's where I learned to fly and did my first solo as well (quite a few years ago now...)

Don Jones said:
Woo Hoo, I soloed my first student this morning. Congratulations to Gus H. for a great job. :cheerswine: I would have soloed him last Saturday, but he didn't have his renters insurance in place yet. Gus is my first student and the first of my 3 students to solo with 22 hours in the log book. Not a record, but being my first, I was a little cautious,:yes: and he was in no hurry, said he would rather be good than quick. My kind of student. I was as excited as he was, did pictures as well as video. Check that pilot grin!

Don

Congrats Don and Gus! I was definitely more excited than my student on my first sign off. I was pacing around inside the FBO building, trying to find the best window to watch him from. Everyone else was probably wondering what the problem was.

tonycondon said:
don what does that sign say?
It says "Income must be greater than Outgo"

Just a reminder not to spend more than I make. Ha Ha, I own an airplane, get real. :rofl:
At least now I am making a few bucks teaching to help support my habit, and having fun doing it
Don

Last edited:
ok, couldnt figure out what the last two letters were.

Mmmm.... Dr. Pepper.

Its the main reason I'm still fat.

Congrats to both, it is definately a unique feeling and accomplishment one doesn't forget.

Last time I got out of a plane for a solo, a FBO guy I never met was there and immediately said to me, "You look like an examiner."
I said, "Yes I am. Do you have any sedatives around?"

Good job, Don!
KEEP GA ALIVE IN AMERICA!:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Hey, way to go! You should have let him cut YOUR shirt-tail off.

Back