First Student Pilot Barf Episode

Hmmm. Empty stomach, nervous, new sensations in the vestibular system for the student.

Thoughts: talk with your student about proper nutrition, especially leading up to a flight, any nervousness or anxiety the student may have about flying in general, or the specific sortie.

Try a short point to point hop and/or shallow turns and descents to acclimate the student to the new sensations.

Or, tell the student to suck it up and they’re responsible for cleaning and disinfecting the aircraft and will be charged hourly rental rate until the plane can be returned to service.

I keep a collection of airsick bags in my plane: Icelandair, KLM, Czech Airlines, Swiss, Delta, etc.

For me, it's Unusual Attitudes.

Did 5, and then did emergency descent to 1000, and then S-turns. Lost it 1/4 way through into my jacket.

Last Friday, did 4, recovered well, continued on, aborted a landing (go around), and on downwind, "Hey CFI, can you hand me the bag?" Bag handed over... "You have the plane." Had cookies at the FBO, and tossed them into the bag, "I've got the plane", turned base, and did a soft field landing.

Pulled on to the ramp, cleaned up, and ran a couple of laps around the ramp to settle my stomach, and was good to go.

Last edited:
An Air force flight surgeon explained it to us decades ago - it's a poison reflex; your inner ear and eyeballs disagree on your spatial orientation, which is a symptom of poisoning; mother nature and evolution take over, and purge that junk from your stomach. What you've eaten, other than quantity, doesn't matter much at all, at least not in setting it off; still, if prone to motion sickness, I'd steer clear of anything you don't want to see twice, like chili, fish tacos, sardines, quiche, tuna salad, or Pop Tarts. . .

I feel for the guy! First few times up with my CFI I nearly lost it. Another time with a friend in a citabria on a 120 mile cruise felt fine on the way so ate a little breakfast not really thinking about it. On way back it was a little warmer and lost it about 20 miles out. Luckily had something to up chuck in so didnt get the plane. Hopefully i get over it soon but not going up without a sic sac thats for sure. Anybody got advise or ideas to help me out?

Back