First Solo

fiftiesdean

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Well, I flew my first solo yesterday, what an awesome feeling. My CFI was with me in the pattern for some T&Gs then she said, "there's nothing more I need to see, you're ready". I dropped her off at the FBO, taxied back out, took off from runway 22 at KSRQ, then the pattern got busy. :lol:

Not one of my circuits were normal; tower had me extending upwind, extending downwind, turning a right 360 then reporting when back on downwind, etc. The awesome part was, it just felt normal. My landings were safe, and I was prepared and I (think I) did a good job on the radio. My goal was to not use the "student pilot, first solo" card, and I didn't. When I got back to the FBO, the flight school staff was waiting to congratulate me.

Congratulations! Sounds like my first solo. We were practicing on runway 9 at KTIX (TICO, er Spacecoast Regional) and right after I taxied over to let my CFI out, a 182 blew a tire and they closed the runway. He said go ahead. So I soloed from 36. And each loop was different: "Can you make a close in base for traffic?" (Yes), next lap: "Extend downwind.", last lap: actually normal.

It's a great feeling. Savor it!

John

The tower probably noticed the disgorgement of the flight instructor if the place wasn't all that busy. After turning crosswind on my first solo, the tower asked me if it didn't fly a lot better without that fat guy in the right seat.

Well, I flew my first solo yesterday, what an awesome feeling. My CFI was with me in the pattern for some T&Gs then she said, "there's nothing more I need to see, you're ready". I dropped her off at the FBO, taxied back out, took off from runway 22 at KSRQ, then the pattern got busy. :lol:

Not one of my circuits were normal; tower had me extending upwind, extending downwind, turning a right 360 then reporting when back on downwind, etc. The awesome part was, it just felt normal. My landings were safe, and I was prepared and I (think I) did a good job on the radio. My goal was to not use the "student pilot, first solo" card, and I didn't. When I got back to the FBO, the flight school staff was waiting to congratulate me.

not great weather yesterday, congratulations!

Now get out there and do your solo xcountry. That will be the first time you get a peek into why you are going to all this trouble to fly.

WOW that sounds great. Congrats!!

Awesome! Don't feel embarassed to say student pilot. I used it all the time and it helped me a lot.

Congratulations! I haven't been flying all that long (7 years or so), but many of the flights I've taken blur together in my memory. My first solo, my first solo XC and checkrides definitely stand out, though.

Sounds like you handled things well and proved that you were ready to be PIC of that flight!

Very Cool! Congratulations! As others have said, at least three flights that you're not likely to forget are your first solo, your first solo XC, and your checkride(s). Now move on to knocking your written out, your XC flights, and getting the stalls, steep turns, shorts and softs down pat. Probably won't be long till we'll be reading your checkride write-up!

Congrats,love the crew at SRQ ,always on top of things. Keep my aircraft at dolphin all winter.

Congats on your first solo. I remember mine like it was yesterday. ( it was actually 7/24/14) I remember thinking, man this is what its all about, and what I have been working towards.

MY CFI told the tower I was dropping him off, so he they knew it was my frst solo, and he went easy on me.

Here is a clip of my second landing at KISP, runway 33L, starting on the upwind leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjFQKuXK94

Congratulations! I assume you feel great now. :)
The tower controller probably noticed the CFI jumping out. Or they should.

When I had my solo, it was at an uncontrolled field. On my second lap, I gave way to a twin Cessna landing and he asked "solo day?" I answered with a question: "how did you know?" He said "looks like an instructor standing on the taxiway". :)

Now enjoy your solo practice and be your own worst/best critic. There won't be an instructor next to you to tell you that you did something wrong. You will have to catch it and figure out a way to not let it happen again. You are now responsible for yourself.
Go and have fun!

Congats on your first solo. I remember mine like it was yesterday. ( it was actually 7/24/14) I remember thinking, man this is what its all about, and what I have been working towards.

MY CFI told the tower I was dropping him off, so he they knew it was my frst solo, and he went easy on me.

Here is a clip of my second landing at KISP, runway 33L, starting on the upwind leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjFQKuXK94

Great video, except... I can hear my instructor yelling "Keep your hand on the yoke, even on the ground!" Taxi control inputs have been drilled into me time and time again, so it's strange for me to see the yoke not being held. (Nice job on the solo, though!)

Back