First Solo!

tangopapa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
tangopapa
I soloed today!

I learned from my last lesson (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55687) and came mentally prepared and ready to do it.

We went around the pattern 4 times. The first 3 landings were normal and for the last one my CFI asked me to do a full flap landing. I had a feeling he was about to cut me loose so I tried especially hard to grease that last landing and I did. Right after landing he told me to pull off onto the taxiway. I knew at that point I was going to go up on my own.

I asked him "Where to?" and he said "Pull up there... I'm gonna get out and you're gonna go by yourself." He pointed at the plane ahead of us and said "And he's gonna do the same thing." Another student and I were able to solo at the same time, which was a really cool experience.

What has surprised me a little bit is how delayed my excitement has been. When my CFI got out and the plane (and my life) was in my hands, I really thought I would have been woohoo-ing (that's a word, right??) uncontrollably the whole time, but it was really just business as usual, with the exception of the following:
a) The plane took off SO much faster without my CFI on board. I expected this but was still pleasantly surprised.
b) I had a much better view out the right window. :lol:
c) I was in ground effect longer than I expected with just me in the plane. It was expected, but just like the quick takeoff I was kind of surprised by it. It was almost more work getting a nice landing without the extra weight. I look forward to polishing my solo landing skills.

Back on track, regarding my level of excitement...I really didn't have much of an emotional response at all. Which I guess is a good thing. I just flew the plane like I had been taught and executed my mission for the day. It wasn't until I got in the car that it started to sink in. And my excitement has been building since then. I can't wait to get up and practice some more.

Well, I could talk about it all night but would likely just ramble on and on. In conclusion, all I have to say is...what a fantastic cap to my weekend.

I'll never forget this day.

Congrats! That's what it's all about...adapting to new configurations, conditions, etc.

Congrats!! It's a day to remember!

Well done to you! I had a similar feeling of " ohhhh boy, now this is serious," during my solo. Now you can claim to have taken an airplane into the air and landed safely- a claim not many people in this world can make! Enjoy the ride.

Congrats! I hope they still cut the shirt tails off of new solo pilots!

so Awesome, I'm like smiling with excitement for you I cant wait to Solo.. Good going man!

Congrats TP! i solo'd myself November 5, 2012 and remember it perfectly to this day! I'm doing my first solo XC tomorrow to Monroe,WI and Janesville,WI. Can't wait! I'm flying out of Westosha (5K6)..Where you Wisconsin are you flying out of?

Congrats again!

Congrats! I hope they still cut the shirt tails off of new solo pilots!

I was totally prepared for it. I wore a shirt that I wouldn't mind getting cut up, but no such experience for me, sadly. I like the tradition but I guess people around here like their shirts more... :)

so Awesome, I'm like smiling with excitement for you I cant wait to Solo.. Good going man!

Thanks! I wasn't in a rush to solo but I'm really happy I did. It's all a learning experience and I love it all, but there's definitely something special about doing it completely on your own and knowing your instructor trusts you with that responsibility.

I swear, I keep getting more excited as time passes by since my solo. I really understand why it's an unforgettable experience. Every single part of that flight from taxi to takeoff to landing is being burned into my memory...

Congrats TP! i solo'd myself November 5, 2012 and remember it perfectly to this day! I'm doing my first solo XC tomorrow to Monroe,WI and Janesville,WI. Can't wait! I'm flying out of Westosha (5K6)..Where you Wisconsin are you flying out of?

Congrats again!

Cool! Have fun and let us know how it goes! I'm out of Morey Field, C29, not too far from your XC destination airports.

Thanks again!

When I heard about this tradition its kind of odd for me as I am Jewish and ripping your shirt is a sign of mourning. It's something Jewish people do when a brother, sister, mother father pass a way they rip the top of their shirt as a sign of mourning.. There are a lot more to the tradition that go a long with it. But thats my input for the night on sharing some Judaism traditions.

Great job, congrats!

There are other fun "first solo flights" to follow:
- solo flight when you will leave the pattern
- solo cross country
- first flight as a private pilot ;)
- first flight with passengers with you as pilot in command....

and i'm sure there are others as well. But you're right, you'll prolly never forget your first solo ;)

When I heard about this tradition its kind of odd for me as I am Jewish and ripping your shirt is a sign of mourning. It's something Jewish people do when a brother, sister, mother father pass a way they rip the top of their shirt as a sign of mourning.. There are a lot more to the tradition that go a long with it. But thats my input for the night on sharing some Judaism traditions.

It could still be considered a version of mourning. Mourning that you are now officially hooked on flying and will spend thousands, if not tens of thousands more to feed the habit.

Origin in aviation:

In American aviation lore, the traditional removal of a new pilot's shirt tail is a sign of the instructor's new confidence in his student after successful completion of the 1st solo flight. In the days of tandem trainers, the student sat in the front seat, with the instructor behind. As there were often no radios in these early days of aviation, the instructor would tug on the student pilot's shirttail to get his attention, and then yell in his ear. A successful first solo flight is an indication that the student can fly without the instructor ("instructor-less" flight). Hence, there is no longer a need for the shirt tail, and it is cut off by the (often) proud instructor, and sometimes displayed as a trophy.

Back