First Solo

robsingles

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rob Singles
No, it was not my first solo today that happened almost 4 years ago now. (Jan 5th 2002) It was the first time I soloed a student, after almost a year of being a CFI I had not really had the chance to use it with school and the fire department. But I had my first student complete his solo today. The weather had low cleanings this morning and it was not looking promising. So after some time around hanging around about 1PM it cleared up. So a few times around the pattern with him to assure he was ready to go. I signed him off and I stood along the taxiway watching him. Want to talk about nervous! WOW! This was waaay more draining than when I actually soloed. But my student completed there excellent landings. What a wonderful day!

Happy Holidays to all!

I could never be a CFI, no student would survive to solo.

Interesting post Rob, thanks. Sounds like a thrill.

My primary airplane instructor as well as most of the CFI's at the flight school here seem to show some of the same feelings, and generally stand somewhere near the runway, radio in hand.

My primary instructor in helicopters, on the other hand, was something else. 6,000 hours mostly in Hueys, check airman, and so on -- he reminded me that I'd have an aft CG, got out and went into the FBO, not to be seen again until I set the helicopter down on the ramp (he didn't trust me at the time, rightly so, to taxi it between the hangars to the hangar where we keep it).

Well i'm not a CFI but Congrats Rob, You must have taught him well (feather in your cap), and i'll bet you weren't the only one nervuos.

Dave G

HPNFlyGirl said:
Way to go Rob. I bet you were more nervous than your sudent eh?

Oh yes, he soloed over 15 years ago and said back then he did not really feel ready when they cut him loose but this time he was not worried at all. So that really made me feel good. But I still was nervous as all get out! But what a wonderful feeling.

that is a different perspective on things. congrats :)

Congratulations on having your first student solo! I can understand your being nervous. My "flying career" goal is to be a CFI (adds another small income generator to the FBO business) and I've thought about that day already..the day I step out of the plane and let my first flight student solo.

Congratulations to you both. Be sure and write when he takes his checkride.

Back