FIRST SOLO

Congrats!!! Hope to join the ranks before too long myself. Good work!

Crongrats... I just did the same thing last Saturday and I am still stoked...

Marc

Yes it was super fun! It was kind of neat too, landings finally clicked in my head, I dont feel like landings are so procedural anymore, it was like I was just landing the plane, no big deal. There was a decent crosswind component as well, so that made me happy.

Crosswind? In Lubbock? Surely there's a mistake.

Yes it was super fun! It was kind of neat too, landings finally clicked in my head, I dont feel like landings are so procedural anymore, it was like I was just landing the plane, no big deal. There was a decent crosswind component as well, so that made me happy.

Congratulations! Quite an accomplishment!

Started in Lubbock but have been in eastern new mexico

I'm not very observant, so either you only recently set up your avatar or I had not noticed it. I can't think of anything more appropriate for a Lubbock boy! Well, maybe a couple of T's centered on each other might be equal.:D

I lived in Lubbock 63 throgh 65 and did some automation work with Lubbock Electric in the early nineties. When going there, many people can't get past the geographical shock, but if they spend a little time to get to know how friendly and hard working the people are, they can gain the same respect for them that I have. As a group they are great people.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Now you get to practice without that lump next to you.

Now you get to practice without that lump next to you.

Ahahahahah yeah I remember on my first solo being SO surprised at how fast we climbed! My instructor warned me, "Now, it'll climb like there's no tomorrow without fatso next to you," but I didn't think it would make THAT much of a difference.

Then I took my uncle up in the winter for my first dose of cooler (~45 deg) weather flying. We had an 8-10kt headwind too--straight down the runway! I felt like we were off pretty much once I hit full throttle. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had been alone.

Ahahahahah yeah I remember on my first solo being SO surprised at how fast we climbed! My instructor warned me, "Now, it'll climb like there's no tomorrow without fatso next to you," but I didn't think it would make THAT much of a difference.

LOL my most dramatic change was from dual in C152, to a solo in a 180hp C172. At one point I wanted to reduce throttle on climbout since I was not used to climb rates like these.

Been in between 2 different 172's and a PA-12, ive chilled out on the PA-12 until i get my PPL. I'll try to get the shirt tail picture uploaded.

I remember my first solo flight-sheer terror followed by delirious pride.

haha my attitude was quite different. Was more like "Dear CFI, can you get the heck out of the plane already?"

Wait, you too? I thought I was the only one who said that. I had hundreds of landings, he had not touched the controls in months, I had 40 hours, and I was like "get the heck out".

I had 8 on the dot when he hopped out, would've been earlier but windy days kept screwing up our plans and we would end up going to the practice area.. When he did get out I said "Wait, what do you want me to do?!" He said do three touch and go's then a full stop. On the third landing he got on the unicom from the FBO and said "Keep going if you want!" so I did ;)

That's a day I will never forget!

When I flew a couple of days ago, we went up to a little field (KBTA) to do some TnG. After the second landing I was a little long, and a little slow raising the flaps, so I decided to NOT make that one a TnG so we taxi'd back. As we're about to the end of the taxi, we got a pronounced shimmy in the nose wheel. Short version, that airplane was still sitting at KBTA this morning, fixed but needing to be picked up.

Told my CFI - "Hey, this is no problem. We go to Blair, I do some perfect landings, you sign me off for solo, and I follow you back to Eppley. No sweat. I flew the thing in, I can fly it back home." Didn't work, though. Low vis, "iffy" weather and while I was able to make some progress I wouldn't exactly call those landings perfect. Not until the last one at Eppley, of course. Perfect approach and greased it in. Bleh. Oh well. I'll get there, for now I'll just say congrats and enjoy it.

Back