First Solo

michael Killacky

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mikek
Well, today was the day. At the ripe old age of 41, with about 25 hours in my logbook, I finally realized a 20 year old dream and soloed an airplane. After 5 dual take-offs and landings, my instructor jumped out of the plane and let me go on my own. 3 times around the pattern. The first one was probably the scariest moment of my life and considering I work in a prison, that's saying something. The next two weren't nearly as bad. 2 fair landings and 1 pretty ugly one, but I am in one piece. As a side to Dr. Bruce, I took your advice on the "other" board and bought the Pilot 17-71T. Thank you very much, I love them.

Huge congrats, Michael. That is awesome. On my first solo most of my concentration focused on two things, to watch my airspeed, and to try not to giggle. My airspeed was right on.
Bruce

Congratulations Mike!!!!! What a feeling huh.

I remmber my first solo. I sang drum cadences the whole time...Too much adrenaline I guess. Did 5 t&g's then my instructor told me to do a full stop.

maximus

michael Killacky said:
Well, today was the day. At the ripe old age of 41, with about 25 hours in my logbook, I finally realized a 20 year old dream and soloed an airplane. After 5 dual take-offs and landings, my instructor jumped out of the plane and let me go on my own. 3 times around the pattern.

That's wonderful Michael! Congratulations.

michael Killacky said:
The first one was probably the scariest moment of my life.

It seems like there are so many "scary" moments while meeting challenges in aviation. I still look forward to them and know that on the other side is going to be a great sense of accomplishment.

Keep us posted as your training progresses. :)

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the ancient and eternal order of pilots! :D

michael Killacky said:
Well, today was the day. At the ripe old age of 41, with about 25 hours in my logbook, I finally realized a 20 year old dream and soloed an airplane. After 5 dual take-offs and landings, my instructor jumped out of the plane and let me go on my own. 3 times around the pattern. The first one was probably the scariest moment of my life and considering I work in a prison, that's saying something. The next two weren't nearly as bad. 2 fair landings and 1 pretty ugly one, but I am in one piece. As a side to Dr. Bruce, I took your advice on the "other" board and bought the Pilot 17-71T. Thank you very much, I love them.

Congratulations!! Sounds like a blast! Now get ready for the XCountry stuff!

Last edited:
Congratulations, Michael! Did you keep looking down at the empty right seat? When I first soloed, my instructor left his headset and clipboard there for reassurance, and I remember looking at them in complete disbelief. Have fun on your next solos.

michael Killacky said:
.....The first one was probably the scariest moment of my life and considering I work in a prison, that's saying something. .....

:rofl:

Congratulations! Keep us posted on how your training goes.

Well done Sir! You have taken a motorized contraption and removed it from the surface of the earth, moved it around in the atmosphere, and safely returned it to its point of departure despite the fact that the earth rotates at an amazingly fast speed while simultaneously hurtling through the cosmos on an eliptical orbit around our sun, which in turn orbits the Mikly Way at even more attrocious speeds!

This puts you in the very small minority of human beings who have ever or will ever do such an amazing thing!

In other words...

Congratulations, PILOT!

Congratulations Michael. I first soloed at 44 so you're a youngster!

I couldn't believe how much better the C-152 flew after my 200+ lb CFI got out!

Congrats,
Its a great feeling. When i did mine, i remember taking off and not thinkin much of it and then "Oh crap, i gotta land this thing" haha
Nothing but fun to come in your training now!!!

GREAT! You'll remember your first solo like you remember your first :blowkiss:

I remember lifting off the ground, climbing through about 100 ft upwind thinking. "Hmm better do this flying thing right this time." :)

Back