First Solo!! [yet another!]

numl0ck

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Steve
There seems to be a ton of them lately, but today was my day! I knew we were going to do pattern work and we were working towards the solo, but I didn't quite expect it this soon (only 12 hours in the logbook)!

We did 5 takeoffs & full-stop landings, and then he said that we were done for the day and asked me to taxi back. As I was getting ready to park, he said "Just drop me off. You're going to go do a few more by yourself." :yikes: So off I went, three more takeoffs and landings. The first one was the best one, but all in all I walked away the the plane will fly again. :D

Can't wait to get back up there!!

:goofy:

Well done to you. Took off and landed without incident and stories to tell equals a great flight in my book! Enjoy the next stages of your training!

That's awesome, Steve... there can never be too many "I soloed today!" posts here on PoA. But, now you have to change your sig line... you're no longer a "pre-solo" student pilot! :D

There seems to be a ton of them lately, but today was my day! I knew we were going to do pattern work and we were working towards the solo, but I didn't quite expect it this soon (only 12 hours in the logbook)!

We did 5 takeoffs & full-stop landings, and then he said that we were done for the day and asked me to taxi back. As I was getting ready to park, he said "Just drop me off. You're going to go do a few more by yourself." :yikes: So off I went, three more takeoffs and landings. The first one was the best one, but all in all I walked away the the plane will fly again. :D

Can't wait to get back up there!!

:goofy:

I don't know how many solo stories you have read, but, mine included, the first landing always seems to be the best one.

Good job, PILOT.

Congratulations, Steve! I'm impressed at how quickly that happened!

Congrats! I just solo'd Sunday... Most amazing feeling feeling climbing out and looking at the empty right seat next to you

Thanks everyone!!!

Congratulations, Steve! I'm impressed at how quickly that happened!
Hey, you're still around! I was beginning to wonder. Things still going well for you? :)

Thanks everyone!!!

Hey, you're still around! I was beginning to wonder. Things still going well for you? :)

Hey Steve, I'm still plugging away at KHFD, in the Flight Design. I'm at 19.5 hours, and still feel like I'm many more from soloing. With all these first-solo threads lately, I'm starting to feel like quite the underachiever! But I'd guess I'd rather be a slow learner than the subject of an RIP thread.:D One of these days we'll have to meet, since you're flying practically in my backyard. Again, congrats!

Hey Steve, I'm still plugging away at KHFD, in the Flight Design. I'm at 19.5 hours, and still feel like I'm many more from soloing. With all these first-solo threads lately, I'm starting to feel like quite the underachiever! But I'd guess I'd rather be a slow learner than the subject of an RIP thread.:D One of these days we'll have to meet, since you're flying practically in my backyard. Again, congrats!
Nah, I had way more hours than that before I soloed. Try almost double!

Nah, I had way more hours than that before I soloed. Try almost double!

Thanks. I know that when it comes to hours to first solo, the numbers are all over the place. Sometimes comparing oneself to others is not productive. I still find it hard to believe that some people solo with fewer than 10 hours! That doesn't sound possible, or safe, to me. Anyway, I'm just enjoying the journey, and however many hours it takes me, so be it!

Thanks. I know that when it comes to hours to first solo, the numbers are all over the place. Sometimes comparing oneself to others is not productive. I still find it hard to believe that some people solo with fewer than 10 hours! That doesn't sound possible, or safe, to me. Anyway, I'm just enjoying the journey, and however many hours it takes me, so be it!
Yeah, when I was working towards solo, I admit I was worried about the hours. Now that I can look at it from a (bit) of a distance, I can truly say that they don't matter. The important part is exercising risk management whenever you fly. Someone with 30,000 hours can kill themselves just as dead as someone with 30 hours, Identify the risks, assess the risks, and mitigate the risks!

Congrats on your solo flight!

Hey Steve, I'm still plugging away at KHFD, in the Flight Design. I'm at 19.5 hours, and still feel like I'm many more from soloing. With all these first-solo threads lately, I'm starting to feel like quite the underachiever!
Ha. I, the guy who has been anticipating flight since childhood, the guy who used to fly R/C aircraft, the guy who was certain he'd be able to solo in 10 hours, has STILL not done so at 21.5. Tomorrow it will probably go to 22.5. I'm pretty sure that if my first flight school not gone TU, and had I still been flying with either of my CFIs at that place, I'd have done it long ago. But no, we've now done another SIX BLOODY HOURS of non-stop touch & gos. It feels like freaking Groundhog Day. So, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I'm right there with ya, bro.

But no, we've now done another SIX BLOODY HOURS of non-stop touch & gos. It feels like freaking Groundhog Day.

So when you going to start doing them RIGHT? ;) ;) ;)

(Ducking and running before Dale beats me up...)

Just kidding. Just kidding. I've seen your four-CFI story.

Keep hammering away at it. It sounds like in the other thread it's starting to gel.

Think of it this way... the only penalty for not getting it right is that you have to go FLY some more! :) :) :)

"This too, shall pass." ;)

So when you going to start doing them RIGHT? ;) ;) ;)
Ahahaha, you a funny guy!
Think of it this way... the only penalty for not getting it right is that you have to go FLY some more! :) :) :)
Incorrect! I'd be flying no matter what. I just get to PAY more!! :mad2: Actually I think I've been doing pretty well. Yesterday we did 9 TnG in an hour, he liked all but the last one. Ballooned a little and didn't get on the throttle quick enough to suit him. I thought I could get things fixed without it, and I'm 99% sure I was right, but it's not what instructors want to see. It was not a BAD balloon, and I had the nose level already -- it felt to me like it would settle nicely in ground effect and I could flare normally. Got to stop thinking, I guess, and do what the instructor wants to see. Today I may purposely muff one to show him that I do know how to fix it. :) And since I flew with the more senior CFI last week, I haven't heard a peep about height on final.

Yeah, when I was working towards solo, I admit I was worried about the hours. Now that I can look at it from a (bit) of a distance, I can truly say that they don't matter. The important part is exercising risk management whenever you fly. Someone with 30,000 hours can kill themselves just as dead as someone with 30 hours, Identify the risks, assess the risks, and mitigate the risks!
Excellent advice -- thanks!

Ha. I, the guy who has been anticipating flight since childhood, the guy who used to fly R/C aircraft, the guy who was certain he'd be able to solo in 10 hours, has STILL not done so at 21.5. Tomorrow it will probably go to 22.5. I'm pretty sure that if my first flight school not gone TU, and had I still been flying with either of my CFIs at that place, I'd have done it long ago. But no, we've now done another SIX BLOODY HOURS of non-stop touch & gos. It feels like freaking Groundhog Day. So, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I'm right there with ya, bro.
Nonstop touch-and-go practice does sound a bit tedious. And I'm a sis, not a bro:), but your sentiment of encouragement is much appreciated in any case!

Don't worry. I had 40. I was super bummed about it but now I don't care.

Back