First solo today... and possibly setting a Guiness World Record for most hours pre-so

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
This morning I soloed in Cherokee (PA 28-161) at Republic (KFRG) in Farmingdale, NY. I am at 112 hours. :yikes: You probably just made this face, right? :lol: I look at it as I have gotten lots of practice. Those of you who read and remember my earlier threads may remember that I had to take a SODA due to vision issue in one eye. I didn't think so at first but later realized that it affected my depth perception because I could not make consistent landings for the longest time. Then it seemed to all come together for me a couple of months ago. But my then CFI would not solo me for whatever reason; he didn't think I was ready. I felt ready for a while but it's not up to me. :lol: Finally, about 2 weeks ago, I decided to switch instructors. This is #4 for me, as my first two left for the regionals. Bad luck. (I also only flew once a week through most of my training. If I could make a suggestion to students, fly at least 2x per week. I have been doing that for the past month or so, and it does make a difference to have 3-4 days between flights instead of 7)

I had flown with my new CFI once before a few months ago as a sub. He told me then that I did well. After I switched to him full time, it took him 2 flights (last and this week) to sign me off for solo. He told me on Wednesday that I was ready to solo. We planned for today. For the past 3 days, I was so psyched that I had trouble sleeping. Last night, I went to bed at midnight for a 7am wake up, but i was up at 6:30. (and 2:30 and 4:30 before that). :yesnod:

The TAF yesterday showed very light winds, 5k ceiling and P6 visibility. And it turned out perfect today, switching between 4kn and calm winds, clear skies, and unlimited visibility.

My CFI and I went up and did one turn around the pattern, I made a nice landing, and we returned to the ramp. We went inside and he signed my log book and medical. Honestly, I wasn't nervous at all. I was antsy as I was taxiing and in the run-up because I had waited so long thinking I was ready.

My solo was very good except for one thing (which was a learning experience that I'll never repeat). I did 3 touch and goes on RWY 1. The first and third one were some of my best ever. My CFI actually told me the first one was a greaser, I didn't think it was that good. This runway is actually in front of my school, so he could see everything. The second one was a little bit off because as I got within about 75-100 feet off the ground, I drifted a little off center (there was a light 4kn cross-wind, 100 @ 4). I'll blame the wind but it was me forgetting to work the rudder.

The one learning experience was on my first downwind. I was in left traffic and somehow drifted into the final. I usually look back and use my DG to make sure I'm not encroaching on the final but let myself get really off track. I could blame the wind if there was any, but it was me. I got yelled at by ATC and learned a lesson. Probably will never let it happen again.

So that's it. Now, I'm hitting the books, websites, and youtube videos to get a head start on flight planning which we start in 3 days. If you are still awake reading this, thanks.

Last edited:
Re: First solo today... and possibly setting a Guiness World Record for most hours pr

You might be close to the record,but I doubt you have it. Glad to see you stayed with it. Now enjoy the feeling of flying alone.

Re: First solo today... and possibly setting a Guiness World Record for most hours pr

Congratulations. Perseverance pays off!

I probably beat you but I'm ashamed to get out the logbook and see.

Great weather today out at FRG. Perfect ay for solo, except for the normal pattern chaos.

Great weather today out at FRG. Perfect ay for solo, except for the normal pattern chaos.
It wasn't that bad for a Saturday, I was only extended 2 out of 3 to the inner shoreline (4 mile final). :lol:

You might be close to the record,but I doubt you have it. Glad to see you stayed with it. Now enjoy the feeling of flying alone.

Definitely not the record. One guy I know definitely had more than that, and I suspect another did, too (but that's a real awkward question). The first guy got led along by both nostrils, and with a CFI who insisted on a $160/hr 172SP, no less. The other guy went through at least 10 instructors.

Awesome! Congrats. It was quite busy today at FRG. What time did you go up? I probably heard you.

Congrats

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Congrats

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Congrats on the solo. Just remember that it isn't the first solo that counts, it is getting the pink slip. Keep at it and you will be a pilot in no time.

A BIG congrats....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is a moment in your life you will NEVER forget.......

Awesome! Congrats. It was quite busy today at FRG. What time did you go up? I probably heard you.
Hey,
We went up at 9am, then we came back and I went up about 9:30 I think. Call sign "Ventura 8".

Congrats!! Now you get to have some real fun!

Congrats Pilot, remember it's not how long the journey takes as long as you get there :thumbsup:

Perseverance pays off, congrats Pilot!

Way to go...congratulations on your solo. It doesn't matter how long it took, it will be a highlight of your life for sure.:thumbsup:

Good on ya.

Thanks all.

Congratulations on your solo. I have about 12 hours on a 172 at Farmingdale. I'm working on my landings and not getting much practice due to the windy days and heavy traffic. ATC is a challenge for me, it seems nothing is ever simple at that airport. Again...Congrads!! :)

Congrats, I had my solo today too.

Congratulations on your solo. I have about 12 hours on a 172 at Farmingdale. I'm working on my landings and not getting much practice due to the windy days and heavy traffic. ATC is a challenge for me, it seems nothing is ever simple at that airport. Again...Congrads!! :)

First post....

Welcome to POA...:cheers::cheers:

Thanks.

I agree that it has been very windy the last few weeks. Keep in mind that you need to land in windy days too, it won't always be calm when you fly. But I remember in the first few flights, you don't want to be dealing with 12 knot cross-winds. Be patient, the air is warming up the past month or two, so the winds are up, but they will settle down this month and next.

And yes, Republic is a challenge as far as traffic goes. I lost count on how many times I have been #5 or 6 for landing getting extended 6 miles. Look at it this way, it will definitely make you a better pilot, make you better at spotting traffic, and you get to see a lot of cool planes. One tip is to fly early or later in the day. I fly Saturday's 9-11am and mid-week 5-7pm, it's not as bad.

As for ATC... I'm not sure if you get nervous or just have trouble remembering what to say. There some good youtube videos on ATC communications. Listen to LiveATC also to become familiar with the phraseology. And remember, even professional pilots screw up on the radio all the time and even get yelled at, just listen to JFK tower. :rofl:

Good luck.

Maybe we'll run into each other... hopefully on the ground. :eek:

Training and being ready take time. Hell, it took me 13yrs to get a BA in Economics. Some say that is a 4yr degree. hmm.... different thread.

Great that you're a solo student and have the where with all to be a Private Pilot who values training. That's what keeps us all safe.

Hey,
We went up at 9am, then we came back and I went up about 9:30 I think. Call sign "Ventura 8".
Cool! Looking forward to hearing you more on the radio.

Congratulations!

As far as that record, however: my first lesson flight was logged in 1981 while I was endorsed for solo as a student in 2014.

:)

Congrats on your Solo. Don't worry about the hours. It's not a race. I solo'ed around 18 hours. But did two go around's before making a horrible landing on the third attempt. Probably should have waited. I am over 100 hours now and still working towards my checkride. I had it scheduled over a week ago and the DPE cancelled. Keep at it and good luck!

My IR guy didn't solo until around 150-200 hours. He is a great guy but he was learning English at the same time. So the language barrier really hindered him. However, He is now about to finish up getting his CFI.

Thanks.

I agree that it has been very windy the last few weeks. Keep in mind that you need to land in windy days too, it won't always be calm when you fly. But I remember in the first few flights, you don't want to be dealing with 12 knot cross-winds. Be patient, the air is warming up the past month or two, so the winds are up, but they will settle down this month and next.

And yes, Republic is a challenge as far as traffic goes. I lost count on how many times I have been #5 or 6 for landing getting extended 6 miles. Look at it this way, it will definitely make you a better pilot, make you better at spotting traffic, and you get to see a lot of cool planes. One tip is to fly early or later in the day. I fly Saturday's 9-11am and mid-week 5-7pm, it's not as bad.

As for ATC... I'm not sure if you get nervous or just have trouble remembering what to say. There some good youtube videos on ATC communications. Listen to LiveATC also to become familiar with the phraseology. And remember, even professional pilots screw up on the radio all the time and even get yelled at, just listen to JFK tower. :rofl:

Good luck.

Maybe we'll run into each other... hopefully on the ground. :eek:

Thanks for the tips. I'm already on board with most of what you say. Its not unusual to find me pulled over on New Highway after buying a hotdog from the truck, watching the planes on RWY 32. I will have ATC Live tuned on my smart phone!!
Again, congrads...soloing at Republic is a major accomplishment :thumbsup:

glad to see you are still at it....never give up

Nice. Congrats.

You're like me, that stubborn bug. In another few months you'll be taking your check ride. At that point, hours flying are hours flying. For me it didn't matter so much whether I was flying with an instructor or practicing by myself. I was flying, which might be the coolest thing anyone in the world gets to do!

Congrats! I'm at KFRG too! I'm up at a lot on weekdays 5:30-7:30 or , so maybe we will chase each other around the pattern one day!

Congrats to the OP for the first solo! You're on your Way!

Congrats on the solo. Just remember that it isn't the first solo that counts, it is getting the pink slip. Keep at it and you will be a pilot in no time.
I think you could have done a better job editing your post before sending it. I think it came across as a wee-bit snippy (minimizing the accomplishment - it really was a big accomplishment and should be celebrated).

Congrats! I'm at KFRG too! I'm up at a lot on weekdays 5:30-7:30 or , so maybe we will chase each other around the pattern one day!

Just be sure to keep the weapons on SAFE:wink2:

Back