First Solo(s)

duc750sport

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
duc750sport
Hi all~
Been lurking around for a while and wanted to say hello.
I just recently have three solo's under my belt and can now solo
whenever I want (within school limits.. ie weather etc..) Just curious as to
how everyone took advantage of this? Did you fly a lot (solo) or just keep it to your lessons?
Thanks.
Bryan~

Time and money permitting, why not? Solo time is valuable time, and the sooner you're more comfortable flying alone the better!

That's what I figured. When I asked my CFI how often I should solo she said "any possible time you can".

Welcome : If you have the budget the more solo time the better.

I would say if it is not a choice of Solo today or Instruction today, I would go ahead and solo. Otherwise, I would keep getting in the plane with your instructor and proceed to knocking out your requirements. That's what I did. But I also live 1.5 hours from the airport so I really didn't have the benefit of Lesson today, solo tomorrow. etc. Remember, your gonna have to do those Solo hours somehow or another. I preferred doing them on XC flights. Also, once you get all your requirements, you will want to spend some time solo before your check ride brushing up on your stuff. Anyhow, Congrats on the Solo! good luck! :)

Flying solo is good for building up confidence and profecting single-pilot resource management (no instructor or other pilot to help you). Regarding having lots of solo time, its really not necessary. The only solo time you need is the 10 hours in order to get your private, solo time is not required for any other rating. During my first 4 or 5 years of flying I didn't even log solo time, the only reason why I do it now is because my logbook has a column for it.

So do not go out of your way just to have a lot of solo time logged. However if you want to do a flight somewhere (before you get your PPL) and you feel confident that you can do it alone, go for it, no need to waste money on an instructor.

Hi all~
Been lurking around for a while and wanted to say hello.
I just recently have three solo's under my belt and can now solo
whenever I want (within school limits.. ie weather etc..) Just curious as to
how everyone took advantage of this? Did you fly a lot (solo) or just keep it to your lessons?
Thanks.
Bryan~

I went out and soloed almost every day after I got signed off...it felt great to be "free" to go fly! I'd do touch & goes for an hour, or spend some time at the practice doing maneuvers, then come back and do some more touch & goes.

Fly as much as you can...you'll be that much better prepared for your checkride.

Flying solo is good for building up confidence and profecting single-pilot resource management (no instructor or other pilot to help you). Regarding having lots of solo time, its really not necessary. The only solo time you need is the 10 hours in order to get your private, solo time is not required for any other rating. During my first 4 or 5 years of flying I didn't even log solo time, the only reason why I do it now is because my logbook has a column for it.

So do not go out of your way just to have a lot of solo time logged. However if you want to do a flight somewhere (before you get your PPL) and you feel confident that you can do it alone, go for it, no need to waste money on an instructor.

Solo time is PIC time, which is always valuable.

I went to my PPL checkride (2 days ago) with 64.7 hours. 19.1 of those were solo -including XC's.

I had only about 12 hours solo when I took my test.

When I started lessons I thought as soon as I had soloed I would go up on my own as often as I could rent a plane.
But it just never really came up after that. I get on really well with my instructors and enjoy flying with them so just kept on going up with them.

I agree with everyone saying if you can fly as much as you can solo or otherwise, looking back if I had more free time I would have gone out solo more.

Ok, I have something to add here.

I soloed then Dad and I bought a plane. I got signed off to fly to about 9 different local airports. Sweet right?

I just got done with my last check ride prep 3 hours ago and was told:
"You have been flying solo too much and have started to get some bad habits. I can't send you on a check ride if you are not using your rudder when banking and having trouble holding altitude during maneuvers. Let's call the DPE and push it out another week or two"

I have been so obsessed with short field and soft field takeoffs / landings that I have them down pat while some of the other maneuvers have atrophied.

I am so disappointed in myself. I do fly solo A LOT and most of it is just aimless flying just to fly versus practicing and learning. I think it has bit me in the ass.

After you fly solo and you are able to do so whenever use it to work and learn. I have something like 70 solo hours because I can fly whenever I want and I have had a ton of pleasure of flying when, where, and how I want but now my tail is between my legs because I have gotten lazy.

I am embarrassed to post this publicly but maybe it will help others that are about to fly aimlessly because they can. Save it for after the check ride. in the meantime, use the freedom to work.

I soloed then Dad and I bought a plane. I got signed off to fly to about 9 different local airports. Sweet right?

"You have been flying solo too much and have started to get some bad habits. I can't send you on a check ride if you are not using your rudder when banking and having trouble holding altitude during maneuvers. Let's call the DPE and push it out another week or two"

I have been so obsessed with short field and soft field takeoffs / landings that I have them down pat while some of the other maneuvers have atrophied.

I am so disappointed in myself. I do fly solo A LOT and most of it is just aimless flying just to fly versus practicing and learning. I think it has bit me in the ass.

After you fly solo and you are able to do so whenever use it to work and learn. I have something like 70 solo hours because I can fly whenever I want and I have had a ton of pleasure of flying when, where, and how I want but now my tail is between my legs because I have gotten lazy.

I am embarrassed to post this publicly but maybe it will help others that are about to fly aimlessly because they can. Save it for after the check ride. in the meantime, use the freedom to work.

Its all good, certainly nothing to be embarrassed about.:no:

One of the things I was concerned about flying solo, was getting into bad habits, which is why every time before I went out solo I would go out with an instructor, do a lesson and then go back and repeat the lesson solo.

Any time you have flying is a learning experience, I'm sure most people form bad habits after they get the ticket, you just did yours early :D

when I started my instrument training, my cfii said the same thing about having bad habits. those can be quickly remedied.

I'm still way low on hours but I find that when I solo and my instructor isn't there I actually concentrate, and do a little better (landings-keeping altitude..etc). Maybe the comfort level of having her next to me causes a tiny bit of "if anything goes wrong-she's here-itis". Just a thought.. Either way I'm absolutely loving it!!

Back