First solo oooops

U

Unregistered

So, the day came for my first solo.

I taxied to the hold short line, did a run up, got cleared for takeoff, and took off.

I caught my mistake after turning downwind. When I went to pull the carb heat, it was already on. I took off with carb heat on.

The plane still climbed fine (probably just as if the CFI was sitting next to me). I should have caught it when the RPMs were not where they should be, but the difference is so small that I thought it was fine. I did think "is that in the right value" maybe, not sure, but a 50/75 RPM difference (it was a really cold day) is hard to catch when you are inexperienced.

Worst thing is that I was using the checklist during the run up, I have no idea how I missed it, it was definitely a brain fart. There was absolutely no harm, but still, if conditions where different it could have meant ending up in the trees, who knows?

I didn't tell my CFI since what's the point?, I know exactly what he's going to say.

Other than this, everything went great, it got a little crowded on that run (the first), and I handled it well.

Was this a severe mistake in your opinion?

Lesson learned, ALWAYS CHECK THAT CARB HEAT BEFORE TAKEOFF (I think I'll just put it in my mental pre takeoff checklist once I'm lined up).

No harm no foul-- this time. Not ideal due to reduced performance, and the possibility of the engine ingesting something because the air filter is not engaged. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Well at least you didn't forget carb heat before going below the green! (If you're flying a Cessna). But yeah the reduced power could be a problem.

...and if you're doing touch & go's, make sure the flaps are up before the 'go' :hairraise:

You just experienced why it's called "A License To Learn"

Was this a severe mistake in your opinion?
Did you crash?
Lesson learned, ALWAYS CHECK THAT CARB HEAT BEFORE TAKEOFF (I think I'll just put it in my mental pre takeoff checklist once I'm lined up).
Will you pay more attention to that one than you did the printed one? :rolleyes2: Just remember that for takeoff in most of our trainers, everything (mixture, carb heat, throttle) goes FULL forward.

Seriously, though. It's why you're a student pilot, and not able to carry passengers. You'll make mistakes. You'll learn to avoid and / or correct them. We just try not to make the same mistake more than once, and avoid the big ones that break things and kill people.

I think you should tell your instructor. He'll understand, and appreciate the fact that you caught your mistake.

Because you are using the 'Check List' as a 'Do List'. You should have all the checklist items in a 'flow', start bottom right, work to top left. If the check list does not order them that way, re-write your own checklist so it does. Then you work your 'flow' and review it with the list when it's complete. The check list is to check that you have already accomplished the items. I work the flow from memory and vocalize it, then review the list.

Well at least you didn't forget carb heat before going below the green! (If you're flying a Cessna).

This is potentially misleading. The distinction that I think you are trying to make is between the proximity of the carburetor to the source of heat in some engines as opposed to others. Lycoming engines are thought to be less susceptible to carb ice than Continental because the carburetor gets more heat from the engine during normal operations due to its placement. However, different model Cessnas has different engines-- some Lycomings, some Continentals. That being said, Lycoming engines can get carb ice, too. So, regardless of engine type, carb ice is something to be vigilant for.

Congrats on the solo.

Remember you have a bag of luck and a bag of experience. The goal is to fill the experience before emptying the luck.

Taking off with carb-heat on is much better to do now than it is during the summer, thanks to density altitude and such.

I'll bet it'll be a long time until you forget that item again...you've transferred an item from the luck bag to the experience bag, so overall, not a negative! If you'd taken off with the carb heat on, and landed that way without noticing, you would have just taken out of the luck and never gained the experience.

Of things not to do, leaving the carb heat on during takeoff is fairly innocuous. But, it's good that you recognized a failure in your checklist procedures.

You made a mistake. Not a huge one. Welcome to "experience". :)

Here's a tip, if you're flying a Cessna single... Most of them anyway... The most common panel layouts...

Grasp throttle lightly overhand. Stick thumb out. Note where thumb ends up? Right on top of extended carb heat knob.

It's both a reminder (even in airplanes with the carb heat somewhere else) and will actually allow you to push them up simultaneously with one hand.

Nifty, huh? :) Whenever you're adding throttle just hitchhike. Stick that thumb out. :)

This is potentially misleading. The distinction that I think you are trying to make is between the proximity of the carburetor to the source of heat in some engines as opposed to others. Lycoming engines are thought to be less susceptible to carb ice than Continental because the carburetor gets more heat from the engine during normal operations due to its placement. However, different model Cessnas has different engines-- some Lycomings, some Continentals. That being said, Lycoming engines can get carb ice, too. So, regardless of engine type, carb ice is something to be vigilant for.

I'll admit, my experience with Cessnas is limited to the 172, but if I recall, every one that I've flown (Continental & Lycoming) recommended the use of full carb heat when reducing power below the green arc.

On the other hand, the few Pipers that I've flown recommends the use of full carb heat, only when carb ice is suspected.

If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

Edit: The last time I flew a non-fuel injected Skyhawk, was in 2000:wink2:

Last edited:
If it makes you feel better, I learned the same lesson but I learned it at about 60 hours on a really hot day. I was 3/4 down the runway and I just wasn't getting the speed I wanted. I rotated and could not climb well at all. I was really scared. I lowered the nose to fly level and decided to just fly low straight out until I could come up with an idea. noticed carb heat was on. I pushed it forward, went back and landed and went home. 2 times in 130 hours I have had the "something is wrong with the plane" experience. both times, it was minor. both times it scared the hell out of me. Both times it added an item that I have never overlooked again to my routine.

Now Congratulations on your solo!!!!
Also you have a story that (and I bet everyone here probably has) that is filed under the category "S#!t that happened on my solo that never happens w/ CFI in the plane"

My first solo landing, I forgot flaps :yikes:
My favorite solo story. Buddy of mine turned down wind to encounter hundreds of helium balloons released from a nearby party.

You made a mistake. Not a huge one. Welcome to "experience". :)

Here's a tip, if you're flying a Cessna single... Most of them anyway... The most common panel layouts...

Grasp throttle lightly overhand. Stick thumb out. Note where thumb ends up? Right on top of extended carb heat knob.

It's both a reminder (even in airplanes with the carb heat somewhere else) and will actually allow you to push them up simultaneously with one hand.

Nifty, huh? :) Whenever you're adding throttle just hitchhike. Stick that thumb out. :)

My CFI taught me the same. Shows that someone at Cessna was thinking about panel ergonomics, long before that became a thing.

I've taken to the air with carb heat out at least twice while doing touch and goes in the Remos, partly due to the nonstandard location of the lever (and mostly due to not following the checklist.) Fortunately, the performance hit to a Rotax 912 is negligible.

Congratulations on your solo :D
I would tell your CFI about what happened. He is not going to think less of you and it will show you are honest.
That said I bet you will never do that again.

Could be worse ... abeam the numbers as a student I pulled carb heat, the cable broke as it was on its last strand and I was now holding the knob in my hand. :rolleyes:

True. As a student, always wanted instrument failure to involve the HOBBS meter ... only got it ONCE!

The Airplane Renter's Prayer: "Dear God, if I have to have an instrument failure, let it be the Hobbs"

Stuff happens. We learn from it. Isn't it on the pre-takeoff checklist? As soon as I push the throttle forward on takeoff roll my eyes go to the RPM and oil pressure. Know what those should be.

Congrats on the solo.

RT

I suspect you'll never make that mistake again.

I think we all made that mistake at least once during training. I left my mixture lean as well once (it's a good thing those offset!).

On my first solo, I did all three laps with the cargo door hanging wide open.

When I solo'd for my tailwheel endorsement, on my first landing I just about ground looped it. I had a tendency where I wouldn't pull the stick back to plant the tail on the ground. I started skidding and started to go towards the edge of the runway. I put in full power and prayed I'd be able to take off again and go around before I ran off the runway. I got lucky and I did, and made a normal landing.
I didn't touch the super cub again for a week or two after that. I was afraid of it! My instructor made me get back in it though and finish, and I never had the problem again after that.

Bottom line is it happens to the best of us. Don't let it get to you! Learn and move on.

Congrats on the solo!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back