First Solo Boo Boo

As with some other high performance planes, P-factors can be stronger than rudder/aileron authority at very low speeds. This of course is a very extreme situation, but just an example that sometimes adding power is not the right solution.
The plane I fly has 105" prop and 1200hp and I can tell you if you are slow with high AOA especially with flaps 40 as you are just before landing, just adding full power will make you do quite a dance on the rudder pedals.

I said adding power would increase control effectiveness. I did not specify an amount. Are you saying any amount of power in a Spitfire above idle would cause you to crash? If so, how do you takeoff without crashing?

I never said you should add full power. I also said to never add it abruptly. I did not enumerate all the reasons why. One of those reasons is indeed left turning tendencies. You are arguing against a straw man. There are more than two choices.

Last edited:
Did I actually say that you should always add power in every bad situation? Your statement is so vague that I can't even argue with it, because I don't know what you're trying to say.

Yes. You disagreed with the statement that sometimes it’s better not to add power if losing directional control on landing. You called the idea “ridiculous.”

Yes. You disagreed with the statement that sometimes it’s better not to add power if losing directional control on landing. You called the idea “ridiculous.”

Every bad situation is caused by poor directional control?

Back