First Solo! Again?

Seanaldinho

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Yerp
Well today was a fine day down in Destin Florida. Had a bit of a marine layer but it burned off before we went flying. Anyways here is a little background for those of you who dont know. A couple of years ago I started glider training, soloed at 15, and got my license at 16. Im now 17 but couldnt afford powered lessons so didnt get to start them like I wanted to after my glider checkride. Then this summer I received a scholarship that paid for me to take flight lessons in Destin up to solo or 20 hours. At 8 hours instructor said I was good to go but I was not about to let 10+ hours of free flying go to waste so we went and did some XC stuff, short/soft field landings, hoodwork, unusual attitudes and the like.

So fast forward to today and I was at a little over 17 hours and we agreed today was the day to solo. So we hop in our nimble, glorious 150M and head to the training area for a tid bit then head back to the pattern for 3 touch and goes. All went very well so he hopped out on number 3 and sent me out to do 5 stop and goes.

Taxi to the runway, hold short, check for traffic, line up, full power, and I was in the air FAST. Without that 180 pound chatterbox next to me the 150 climbed like a banshee ( a whopping 700 feet per minute). Anyways I do a lap around the pattern and put it in nice and smooth. The next 2 were the same and then on number 4 I caught a little downdraft about 3 feet above the runway and kinda plopped. Oh well, one more to go. Get in the air and everybody and their brother has decided Destin is the place to be. Before that I had been playing with a Bonanza (also doing stop and goes) and an MI-8 helo. This lap though I had a skylane, 2 MI-8 helos, a citation, and king air all trying to get in. So in short on lap one I went around because of the abundance of traffic and hoping it would die down a bit. On Lap 2 I went around again because of more traffic. Lap 3 was the charm though and I got it in nice and smooth behind the skylane.

All in all, it felt good to solo for the first time again. :D

Attachments

• P8090066.JPG
    P8090066.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
Congrats! Again!

Actually I think the go arounds were just so you could get some extra air time!

Now on to the solo cross countries, get the written done and check ride before the snow flies!

Wait, you don't worry about snow. C-150s still are great trainers.

Congrats! Again!

Actually I think the go arounds were just so you could get some extra air time!

Now on to the solo cross countries, get the written done and check ride before the snow flies!

Wait, you don't worry about snow. C-150s still are great trainers.

The fact that I wasnt paying for the flying didnt hurt :D
Ended up with 1.7 hours and 1.0 of them solo.

Written is done.

In the 15 years Ive lived here it has snowed a total of 1 time for about 15 minutes. Still I hope to be finished by christmas.

Congrats!!! It's a good feeling. I told my students that if you can learn to land, you can learn to do anything during Private Pilot.

Destin is a busy little airport to learn to fly at. I've been in there a couple times. I did my Private in Panama City.

Congrats. And good call on wearing that god awful lime green shirt to get it cut. ;) ;) ;) ( ducking ... )

How many hours did you have the first time you soloed? How many hours did you have for the first checkride?

How do you log glider hours in your log book?

I log the flight hours just like my powered flights, but note the tow height and other details about the flight. As mentioned, for rating purposes hours aren't the important thing but the number of flights made. Some flights are barely a tenth of an hour (simulated rope breaks.)

Aw crud. Re-reading that I was trying to be cute saying they wouldn't be attracted to him. Only after the reply did I realize it came out as something sexist.

Oh well. Screw it. That's been similar to the rest of my week anyway.

In gliders it didn't go by hours.

Solo was at 21 flights
checkride was flights 60-62

Current 61.109(f) requirements do have total hours and flights required, 10 hrs to include at least 20 flights and at least 2 hrs solo with at least 10 flights.

So for students need to log both flights and hours.

Insurance has a break point of 35/1 L/d experience, normally at least 50 flights in greater than 35/1 L/d (high performance) to get a break on the insurance premium.

Back