First Sign-Off as a CFI

K

KennyFlys

When I came here, I took over several students and have since began several others from scratch. This student had come to us from another school where he had twenty hours logged and not the same signature on two lines in a row.

He flew with others before me here and with one person who is no longer around. He was turned loose solo without the proper endorsements along with other issues. Late in the game, I learn he had never been shown the PTS he would be judged by during his check ride. "PTS? What's that?" That one threw me for a loop.

I spent about twelve hours with him in flight and another six or so on the ground. I got him past his written on a 93% and prepared for the practical as of last night. I had my concerns. He said I was throwing a lot at him and teaching him things he had not seen before. But it seems to have been enough to get him through. He passed this morning and received his temporary certificate.

It was good to return from another student's first lesson and see the relief on his face. He had a smile having finished the first round in a long line of accomplishments to happen for him. His next step is completing his application to enter the Naval Aviation Officer Candidate School.

Cool!!

Teaching seems to be a much maligned profession. It is MUCH harder than is apparent, particularly if you want to do it right!

Hope it gave you one of thoses "warm and fuzzy" feelings!

Gary

Great job, Ken! I suspect there will also be a long line of accomplishments for you as well.

congrats kenny. its all downhill from here, the next many signoffs will be a lot easier.

Congrats, Ken. My first sign-off was a Commercial student, who was a good pilot. I've been working on my first Private and Instrument students, and soon I will be experiencing the same reservations as you had. I am amazed at how many come to me, get some lessons, then quit, because they thought it would be easy. So far, that's been four of five - the fifth one moved away.

Congrats, Ken. My first sign-off was a Commercial student, who was a good pilot. I've been working on my first Private and Instrument students, and soon I will be experiencing the same reservations as you had. I am amazed at how many come to me, get some lessons, then quit, because they thought it would be easy. So far, that's been four of five - the fifth one moved away.
Wil, Who is handling your rides up that way?

When I came here, I took over several students and have since began several others from scratch. This student had come to us from another school where he had twenty hours logged and not the same signature on two lines in a row.

He flew with others before me here and with one person who is no longer around. He was turned loose solo without the proper endorsements along with other issues. Late in the game, I learn he had never been shown the PTS he would be judged by during his check ride. "PTS? What's that?" That one threw me for a loop.

I spent about twelve hours with him in flight and another six or so on the ground. I got him past his written on a 93% and prepared for the practical as of last night. I had my concerns. He said I was throwing a lot at him and teaching him things he had not seen before. But it seems to have been enough to get him through. He passed this morning and received his temporary certificate.

It was good to return from another student's first lesson and see the relief on his face. He had a smile having finished the first round in a long line of accomplishments to happen for him. His next step is completing his application to enter the Naval Aviation Officer Candidate School.

Congratulations and well done!

Congrats, Ken. I'm sure it's rewarding kicking them out of the nest.

The DE is Ben Carr. He's a good and fair person, well liked amongst the pilots and CFIs.
Ben handled my CFI ride. He's tough but fair. I wish he were closer to this area. Pass my regards along next time you see him.

Back