First Real Trip Since BFR

LauraE51

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Laura
Having taken 42 years off from flying to have a career, i returned last summer and got my BFR last August. I've taken my wife for a few flights, but yesterday, we took our first overnight trip together.

It was a blast.

I chose to fly from Tracy (TCY) to Santa Maria (SMX) to see a play by the Pacific Conservatory of Performing Arts, where i interned a very long time ago. (Actually, the summer after i quit flying.) The two-hour flight was uneventful, i greased the landing, and we got to park the plane next to the hotel at the airport (oh, too cool. i'd love to know other airports that have this advantage.) We rented a car at the airport, drove to the Pismo Beach and had a great day before seeing the performance.

On the return flight home, i grabbed FF from ground, and was quickly handed off after departure. To give my wife the best experience, we took a different route home, so she could see Monterey Bay before we turned back toward the central valley and home. FF both ways was easy, as were the landings. (i'll have some landing comments in another post.)

Now, she's mentioned she'd love to see the Grand Canyon, and (gasp) even talked about taking a few lessons to become more familiar with flying.

Can't wait to go again.

Adventure flying is the best! Congrats! For another great time go fly into KHAF and you can park at the far south ramp and walk to amazing food options for lunch or dinner.

For her, if she just has an interest and not necessarily a full PPL...Pinch Hitter training is an option and is very common for significant others to learn the basics and make them more comfortable in the plane.

Thats what its all about Brian...very cool. :thumbsup:

I hope my wife will be as adventurous once I get my PPL, but so far it ain't happening. She hates airplanes...especially little ones.:dunno:

Congratulations Brian!!!
And hold on to your spouse.
She's a special asset!

You are lucky not to have one like mine, who was enthusiastic and supportive during our courtship and right after getting married 47 years ago, but now wants nothing to do with aviation --- including my participation in it now

The airport hotel thing there is cool. Don't know what you fly but if it's a Cessna, you realize that airport is the home of the Cessna Pilot's Assn, right?

Brian, congrats on getting back up in the air. Like you, I hadn't flown for awhile (a mere 20 years) but have recently gotten back into the cockpit. I have suddenly found myself obsessed with everything aviation.

I've been back for two years after a 30 year pause in flying...(BFR due this month) Been mostly sampling the tri-state NC, SC, TN $100 hamburger stops... But starting this summer will be doing some real travelling with Cathy! She's a great co-pilot in training...and loves flying...LUCKY ME!

Thats what its all about Brian...very cool. :thumbsup:

I hope my wife will be as adventurous once I get my PPL, but so far it ain't happening. She hates airplanes...especially little ones.:dunno:

Take a deep breath. My wife enjoys flying, but she still asked me, on the way to the airport, whether i'd flown this specific plane before. She didn't want to say she was a little nervous, but nothing cements a good flight like good communications and a smooth landing.

The airport hotel thing there is cool. Don't know what you fly but if it's a Cessna, you realize that airport is the home of the Cessna Pilot's Assn, right?

i noticed the Cessna sign as we were getting fuel, but i hadn't connected that this was their home. yes, while i flew C150s in my early days, the 172 (particularly the P and N models) is what i'm flying now. Great plane.

That's awesome man! I'm a teacher nearing 15 years in the field. Just got my PPL last August. My wife has only been up with me three times, the most recent a few weeks ago flew SLC to Denver. She really handled it like a champ, even including the rough headwinds on the return.

YOqVDKZ.jpg

Back