First real flight lesson today

Joe Williamson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
What an awesome experience. I had a bad CFI to start and just switched to a different instructor. It was nice to get up and fly around. I’ll admit I had sweaty hands the entire time but truly enjoyed it and am looking forward to my next lesson. A couple of questions, does the nervousness eventually go away? Do you ever get used to it being bumpy?

Yes, as you gain experience, the nervousness goes away, at least for routine flight. You will likewise get used to some turbulence, but not bad bumps.
Welcome to flying and PoA.

You’ll love it.

Nervous = new and learning, usually.

Stick with it. Ask questions. Be safe. Hopefully you have a safety focused CFI. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

What an awesome experience. I had a bad CFI to start and just switched to a different instructor. It was nice to get up and fly around. I’ll admit I had sweaty hands the entire time but truly enjoyed it and am looking forward to my next lesson. A couple of questions, does the nervousness eventually go away? Do you ever get used to it being bumpy?

Good for you!!

I was a sweaty mess most days early on during the hot summer days. When it got too bumpy I would start to feel sick. Then all learning stopped for me, best to land and save my money. Took me pretty many days to stop feeling sick on turbulent days.

5 years later I have almost 1100 hrs and the nervousness is gone. I rarely feel sick anymore except for one day just last week. It was a bumpy day and said to myself, go land cause you don't feel the best. There are all different kinds of bumps also, some worse than others. I had 4 instructors during my PPL training. I learned something from all of them. Good luck to you.

Wait until you do unusual attitudes :D

But practice and experience helps, but you need a lot of it. And that doesn’t mean you got a rating and your good.

When you get to your first Power-On stall (experiencing and then performing) - it's kind of easier from there, in my opinion.

Don't worry about doing your first Power-On stall either, I'm not trying cause apprehension about that particular maneuver. In fact, once you do these (assuming you are using a 172 or similar) - you'll maybe see how forgiving these aircraft may be - which will lead to better understanding of the aerodynamics and feel/handling of the plane.

Also, just remember your CFI has been trained to handle some bad situations that are not part of your core training. They're not going to let anything bad happen to you or the aircraft.

Thanks everyone, i am training in a 172. Its nice to hear that the more i do it the less nervous i will be. Is there anything i can do in-between flying lessons to help my progress?

Read the POH. Read the checklists. Replay the flight in your head. Easier after you’ve had a few more.

Then get a paper chart and start reading that while in the bathroom, commuter trains etc. study the area around your airport and nearby. Symbols, topography, airspace and frequencies. Get the Private Pilot books (your choice - Rod Machado, ASA, Sporty’s, King etc. The FAAs is free here . . .
FAA.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/ )

Then look at planes, think about flying, dream about being Maverick or Ice Man . . .

Depends on what you are nervous about.

I still don't like to fly when it is really bumpy. I am not nervous about it but it just isn't as much fun, for me, as when it is smooth. I hate taking passengers (other than my wife who has done it enough not to worry about the bumps) if it is bumpy at all.

As others have said, the nervousness does go away as you get used to the bumpiness. After a while you'll be expecting bumps, and feel that it's normal. In one flight I had as we were at cruising altitude, it became so calm that I became nervous as I thought it was too calm! Felt like we were standing still!
I think what happens is that you'll get to the point where you are just nervous enough so you stay aware and thus safe, but calm enough to where you can sit back and enjoy the flight.

A little nervous is fine. If you're scared, that's not necessarily bad either, but if you are, figure out what it is that's bugging you, and talk about it with your CFI. Maybe it's stalling, or landing incorrectly, or whatever, but better to get it out in the air and talk about it. Whatever it is, you won't be the first one to worry about it, and once you figure out whatever the science or skill behind it is, you'll get past it.

Back