First post here

Rod Broberg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jrb2
Hi All,

How many of you here have had to deal with nausea during your flight training?

A little background. I received my PPL in April of 1978 at age 24. I had been working at Beech Aircraft and was able to log several hundred hours before I quit flying a couple years later. I'm sure you have all heard the drill, wives, children, career, mortgages, ect.

Now I am semi-retired and in a place to think about flying again. To date I have had four lessons, and had to cut short the last two because of motion sickness. The weather has been pretty bad for flying, at least for me, 60 degrees overnight, rapid warming to 90 by noon, winds 12 to 15 gusting to 25. Is this something that will pass?

Hi All,

How many of you here have had to deal with nausea during your flight training?

A little background. I received my PPL in April of 1978 at age 24. I had been working at Beech Aircraft and was able to log several hundred hours before I quit flying a couple years later. I'm sure you have all heard the drill, wives, children, career, mortgages, ect.

Now I am semi-retired and in a place to think about flying again. To date I have had four lessons, and had to cut short the last two because of motion sickness. The weather has been pretty bad for flying, at least for me, 60 degrees overnight, rapid warming to 90 by noon, winds 12 to 15 gusting to 25. Is this something that will pass?
For one, stop thinking about it the best you can. Avoid coffee and flying on an empty stomach. Then just stick with it. Your body will probably get used to it, if you keep flying regularly.

fly early morning or in the evening and make sure you are getting the best ventilation you can. if you're hot and uncomfortable, it's just gonna get worse real quick.

Welcome to POA!

If you didn't have the problem when you flew many moons ago, it's likely just something that will pass once your body gets used to the motions. Bring a bottle of water with you and open a window if needed. GL!

Boobs. Amazing remedy for ailments. Works too. Boobs. You heard it first here. Boobs.

Welcome to POA! I have nothing to add concerning the nausea, but did want to welcome you here. Hopefully the nausea will pass so you can enjoy your flights more.

Boobs? Would never have thought of that! Might have to get a different instructor.
He's right, that's a cure all. Get a CFI that's easy on the eyes and I guarantee you'll be just fine.

I had frequent bouts of gastroenteritis during my flight training. I lost every one of them.
Luckily we weren't doing aerobatics.

I would try the non-drowsy motion sickness patches that go behind the ears, but I am willing to try this boob thing that everyone is talking about.

have you had your ears checked?

I remember my first lesson, the guy before me rolls into the office looking like hell, smelling life vomit. He paid the CFI and said thanks for the lesson and that he'll see the CFI next week. :eek:

turned out the guy had an inner ear issue and had to get surgery to fix it.

But talk about a "what did I get myself into" moment.:D

I have nothing to add either as I never suffered from this issue, but just wanted to welcome the OP to POA. :)

He's right, that's a cure all. Get a CFI that's easy on the eyes and I guarantee you'll be just fine.

It's all fun and games until he throws up on her boobs.

Welcome, Rod. I will echo what someone else said about flying in the morning. Wind seems to be less of a factor in the morning, and it won't be blazing hot yet. I've never dealt with nausea, but it's fairly common and seems most pilots get over it in time. So, hang in there! And welcome back to aviation :)

Welcome back to flyin and welcome to the joint Rod. I didn't hear about the drill, I lived it like you. It was about a 30 year break for me. Can't help you with any personal experience about the nausea but here is the place to get a lot of good ideas. I'd think twice about getting a boob job though.

Cajun has it easy; she just brings along her own boobs.

Do your best to stay hydrated. Dehydration and heat by themselves can bring on nausea. Motion will just make it worse. If the heat really bothers you, try soaking a small towel in ice water and draping it over the back of your neck. Also, try to do your preflight in shade, maybe in the hangar, rather than on hot Tarmac, and minimize your exposure to the heat.

And welcome to the forum!

Knew there was a good reason not to become your CFI....talkin' about your instructor like that!

Oh, why y'all get old Les fired for? He didn't set the tree on fire did he?

Hi all,

Glad I could provide an opportunity for everyone to post about boobs! However, I think I have found the solution to my problem. Two things actually. First was to spend money. I bought some barf bags to carry with me and some patches that are supposed to be a non-drowsey motion sickness remedy. About $30 in all. Secondly, the weather cooled off quite a bit and I was able to relax quite a bit more in the airplane. No nausea in the last 4 hours or so.

A few family members swear by Sea Bands. Two small wristbands with a plastic bump that rests on a pressure point to ease nausea. I haven't had cause to try them myself in the air, but it might be worth a shot. They are about $10-15 IIRC.

Also echo the point about making sure you have good ventilation.

As for the most common recommendation so far in this thread. Those are more likely to cause a distraction, with potential for both head turning and removing your eyes from the horizon. Could cause more nausea that solve it.

... and most importantly. Welcome!

Welcome to POA. I have had some occasions where I got queasy usually when it was pretty hot in the cabin due to ambient temps and if the heat was blowing right on me in the colder weather. Concentration and turning the heat off and getting a vent open helps tremendously.

A little update. I'm not sure I'm completely over the nausea but I have flown a few more time and things went well. So well in fact that I now have a current BFR and am current and legal. It took about 12.5 hours and I'm not sure if thats a little or a lot after having been away for so long, but I don't really care because it was a blast and I'm looking forward to being able to rent a plane on my own and go bore some holes in the sky.

Back