First Plane, but What to Buy???

I happen to like a lot of the little birds too, and think they would be fun to have around, even though I would never dream of building one because I don't like that stuff. I'm also glad they offer an opportunity for people who like the package of features and benefits they offer and actually thought briefly about the 2 weeks to taxi deal on the neat high-wing (Glasair?) that is made in WA.

OTOH I get really tired of the mindless BS that doesn't apply to many situations and never will, so I occasionally say so.

Wayne No I never have owned a certified bird, Like I said out of my price range. I am lucky to have what I have.

I am not ashamed to admit this. I am a poor man whom flies a poor mans bird. I don't know everything, my spelling sucks, I ***** to much, just ask my wife. I could go on but this thread is not about me and its boring stuff anyway.

H.A.S.

Have you ever owned anything else?

I've had both, both made fine tools for flying, my Midget Mustang was highly efficient for getting my rear end to work reducing a 7 hr commute to 2 hours. The quality of the build was as high or higher than anything produced at a factory because it was built by an artesian craftsman who nit picked every detail of what he did, and the engine was done by me personally, another person who nit picks every detail of what he does. That plane was as well built and safe as any other SEL plane.

I happen to like a lot of the little birds too, and think they would be fun to have around, even though I would never dream of building one because I don't like that stuff. I'm also glad they offer an opportunity for people who like the package of features and benefits they offer and actually thought briefly about the 2 weeks to taxi deal on the neat high-wing (Glasair?) that is made in WA.

OTOH I get really tired of the mindless BS that doesn't apply to many situations and never will, so I occasionally say so.

Yep, Glasair Sportsman, it's great program and a pretty nifty plane that's currently on my mind though a bit pricey for what I need it for.

Yep, Glasair Sportsman, it's great program and a pretty nifty plane that's currently on my mind though a bit pricey for what I need it for.

I have a two week to taxi Glasair Sportsman and love it. The plane is like a 172 with 182 performance. I can hosetly say that it flies better than a Cessna, lower stall speed no break in the stall, and the quality of the build through the factory program is as good as anything out there. Plus I have an all electric glass IFR panel for a fraction of what it costs certified.

But most importantly, the plane is easy to fly and safe. No bad habits or things that can "bite" you. This is my first plane and I could not be any happier.

I have a two week to taxi Glasair Sportsman and love it. The plane is like a 172 with 182 performance. I can hosetly say that it flies better than a Cessna, lower stall speed no break in the stall, and the quality of the build through the factory program is as good as anything out there. Plus I have an all electric glass IFR panel for a fraction of what it costs certified.

But most importantly, the plane is easy to fly and safe. No bad habits or things that can "bite" you. This is my first plane and I could not be any happier.

Which engine and prop did you go with?

I have the IO-390 210 hp with the blended 2 bladed hartzell. Great performance.

.....Also, another thing I am considering is I live in Houston. Hangar space is like $350 a month vs $50-100 for a tie down. I understand most of these planes should be hangared. Definitely the fabric/fiberglass. The Sonerai has fabric Fuselage and steel wings. Is this a problem? Would getting a plane cover solve the problem?

Find another friend to share a hangar with.... if you get a high wing just find a low wing partner..... They will nest nicely in a Tee Hangar...

Attachments

• 2012 Xmas. 046.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 046.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • 2012 Xmas. 048.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 048.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 2012 Xmas. 044.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 044.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 12
That VariEZ is a great deal, although I have to ask just why it is so cheap. Sure, there are those wing attachment caps or whatnot, but the equivalent LongEZs sell for $50k+!

My problem with VariEZ/LongEZ is basically it means no gravel or grass ever.

I did not read there was a requirement to do that?

I wouldn't go out in the bush with one either.

Landing rolls are pretty long too.

they cross the fence at 90, but who cares when you have 5,000' runway.

they cross the fence at 90, but who cares when you have 5,000' runway.

That's also the problem with many kit, or plans built planes. All is great... until the engine quits. Then you find yourself performing an off field landing at 90 in a plastic plane that tends to fracture and break into a bunch of pieces. Like I said, their designers, Rutan included, made some trade offs for performance and economy.

On the other hand, there are many home builts out there that handle an off field event just as well as any certified plane. The point is, just be aware of what you're getting yourself into before you buy. The engines quit on all GA piston planes a lot more than people are willing to admit.

Back