First PIC Flight in G1000 - !!!

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Just posted to:

http://www.iflylikeagirl.com/first-pic-flight-in-g1000-aircraft/

The aviation gods were smiling on me last night.

The complete story:

A friend of mine has been working hard for several years on all the hours and ratings involved to get to be a professional, PAID flight instructor and A&P (his dream jobs). I have brought him along before in my rental on two flights, but for fun / as a passenger. When I found out the date of his checkride was Monday, I made sure to schedule my airplane right away (for Tuesday night) in the hopes that I would be the first DUAL logged inside his CFI log book.

Mother Nature sent rain and clouds and seemed to ruin my plans, but I kept the reservation on the hopes that we could at least have a ground lesson, or talk about my upcoming flight review (due in 2013) or something along those lines… anything to celebrate the CFI checkride being passed and me – hopefully – finding a new partner in my future aviation goals (instrument training and beyond).

On Monday I received the news that it was OFFICIAL, THE CFI EXAMINATION HAD BEEN PASSED! Success! Knowing how hard he had worked towards this goal, I called a weather briefer. There was a chance, after all, that the rain might stop before Tuesday night and we could indeed fly.

The PLAN:

Remain night current, perform 3 night landings, discuss night flight differences, and be first in CFI logbook. I rented the least expensive plane since this flight would be in the pattern and if anything happened with the weather we could land.

Arrived after work, weather looked like it would hold, discussed weather with CFI (told about the briefing I got). Sunset listed as 6:20pm so we could not depart until 7:20pm to be “night” flying legally (one hour after sunset to log three night takeoffs and three night landings for passenger currency).

Due to unforseen circumstances, the tiny two seater plane was not available but – to make up for it – I was asked if I wanted to fly the G1000 instead. Though only a Cessna Skyhawk, this plane is less than 5 years old and has airbags, leather seats, an autopilot, lots of horsepower, and a FREAKING G1000 GLASS PANEL.

Holy crap. Of course, I said YES. Heck yes. Oh my goodness are you kidding yes.

Then it began. I was excited that I would fly a plane I’d never seen before, and land it, for the very first time. A much more complicated plane.

The newly minted CFI had many hours in this plane and was so thorough he insisted I use the much more lengthy checklist. This was the checklist that came with the plane rather than one of those “quick lists.” This pre engine start checklist was literally pages and pages in length and talked about things like PFD and I thought “personal flotation device?” but NO. This was all so new to me – a computer screen, fuel injection, no carb heat, etc.

The engine started and I checked the AWOS. There were clouds hanging out around 2200 but overcast was all the way up at 10 thousand. I checked the weather multiple times to be sure it was holding steady. TPA is 1100 so I was OK.

At first, I was very frustrated since the dials move around and change from one side to the other. At night you may only want to glance down to check your altimeter but in this new plane my eyes didn’t know where to look. The tach moved from my side to the passenger side (two large screens) which was annoying and everything was so different than steam gauges I got frustrated.

As with any new plane, my first trip around the pattern sucked, but by the second and third time things improved.

I love this aircraft, but it is almost double the cost of my little rental 2 seater, so sadly this may be a one night stand.

Just posted to:

http://www.iflylikeagirl.com/first-pic-flight-in-g1000-aircraft/

The aviation gods were smiling on me last night.

The complete story:

A friend of mine has been working hard for several years on all the hours and ratings involved to get to be a professional, PAID flight instructor and A&P (his dream jobs). I have brought him along before in my rental on two flights, but for fun / as a passenger. When I found out the date of his checkride was Monday, I made sure to schedule my airplane right away (for Tuesday night) in the hopes that I would be the first DUAL logged inside his CFI log book.

Mother Nature sent rain and clouds and seemed to ruin my plans, but I kept the reservation on the hopes that we could at least have a ground lesson, or talk about my upcoming flight review (due in 2013) or something along those lines… anything to celebrate the CFI checkride being passed and me – hopefully – finding a new partner in my future aviation goals (instrument training and beyond).

On Monday I received the news that it was OFFICIAL, THE CFI EXAMINATION HAD BEEN PASSED! Success! Knowing how hard he had worked towards this goal, I called a weather briefer. There was a chance, after all, that the rain might stop before Tuesday night and we could indeed fly.

The PLAN:

Remain night current, perform 3 night landings, discuss night flight differences, and be first in CFI logbook. I rented the least expensive plane since this flight would be in the pattern and if anything happened with the weather we could land.

Arrived after work, weather looked like it would hold, discussed weather with CFI (told about the briefing I got). Sunset listed as 6:20pm so we could not depart until 7:20pm to be “night” flying legally (one hour after sunset to log three night takeoffs and three night landings for passenger currency).

Due to unforseen circumstances, the tiny two seater plane was not available but – to make up for it – I was asked if I wanted to fly the G1000 instead. Though only a Cessna Skyhawk, this plane is less than 5 years old and has airbags, leather seats, an autopilot, lots of horsepower, and a FREAKING G1000 GLASS PANEL.

Holy crap. Of course, I said YES. Heck yes. Oh my goodness are you kidding yes.

Then it began. I was excited that I would fly a plane I’d never seen before, and land it, for the very first time. A much more complicated plane.

The newly minted CFI had many hours in this plane and was so thorough he insisted I use the much more lengthy checklist. This was the checklist that came with the plane rather than one of those “quick lists.” This pre engine start checklist was literally pages and pages in length and talked about things like PFD and I thought “personal flotation device?” but NO. This was all so new to me – a computer screen, fuel injection, no carb heat, etc.

The engine started and I checked the AWOS. There were clouds hanging out around 2200 but overcast was all the way up at 10 thousand. I checked the weather multiple times to be sure it was holding steady. TPA is 1100 so I was OK.

At first, I was very frustrated since the dials move around and change from one side to the other. At night you may only want to glance down to check your altimeter but in this new plane my eyes didn’t know where to look. The tach moved from my side to the passenger side (two large screens) which was annoying and everything was so different than steam gauges I got frustrated.

As with any new plane, my first trip around the pattern sucked, but by the second and third time things improved.

I love this aircraft, but it is almost double the cost of my little rental 2 seater, so sadly this may be a one night stand.

Congratulations! It was funny to read your initial impressions of the G1000 :D

Before you flip on the avionics switches, you only have the left screen (PFD) powered up, so it combines the most essential functions of both displays onto the one working screen (namely the left one). That is why the tach was on the left. When you powered up the avionics fully, the right screen (MFD) turned on so it moved the tach over there. But it will not flip back to the left again. Unless of course you make that happen.

Once you get used to it, the G1000 has a lot of cool features. You just don't want to be distracted while learning them all. There is a PC based simulator that is quite good to learn on.

A 172 with lots of horsepower? I call bull!

Hope you enjoyed it. Please don't do your instrument rating on the g1000 unless you plan to almost exclusively fly it once you get your instrument ticket...round gauges translate pretty easily onto the g1000. The PFD/MFD do not translate as easily into the 6 pack.

Congratulations! It was funny to read your initial impressions of the G1000 :D

Before you flip on the avionics switches, you only have the left screen (PFD) powered up, so it combines the most essential functions of both displays onto the one working screen (namely the left one). That is why the tach was on the left. When you powered up the avionics fully, the right screen (MFD) turned on so it moved the tach over there. But it will not flip back to the left again. Unless of course you make that happen.

Once you get used to it, the G1000 has a lot of cool features. You just don't want to be distracted while learning them all. There is a PC based simulator that is quite good to learn on.

Exactly. This was not a night checkout. It was getting really late, the 150 we had spent time on (landing / taxi light didn't work, fuse was fine, mechanics told me to swap fuse anyway, no dice, we took off the cowling, holy cow, then finally the G1000 was offered to me by surprise).

What I'm saying is this was not the time for me to have my head down in the cockpit. He kept saying OK pull power wait for white arc and then ten degrees flaps.

I was like DUDE there is no arc, the screen scrolls up and down in a straight line, and with all the colors and numbers and vspeeds I'm pretty sure around 80 or less in a skyhawk I'm cool to lower a flap. Finally I gave up and on final I just put in 30. The last thing I wanted to do was play computer games, I just wanted a safe landing. It was just like I'd flown the plane my whole life. Not anything pretty, but not hard or crooked. Just a normal landing.

I used to beat myself up if it wasn't perfect and now I was finally excited:

New plane
New avionics
Really dark night
OK landing first try.

Made me feel like a "real" pilot. The cert says "single engine land" which is why I can log PIC even though I don't have a checkout in that plane. Probably the coolest PIC in my logbook since I don't think the tailwheel or glider was logged as anything but dual.

That system is amazing. I had a chance to fly a Phenom 300 with the G1000 and it was very cool!

Great post!

Hope you enjoyed it. Please don't do your instrument rating on the g1000 unless you plan to almost exclusively fly it once you get your instrument ticket...round gauges translate pretty easily onto the g1000. The PFD/MFD do not translate as easily into the 6 pack.

If you read through to the end you would see I called this a one night stand.

Translation: my little 150 costs $80. The G1000 costs almost double that (I don't know what it costs because I can't afford it).

There is NO WAY I would even bother getting checked out in that aircraft unless I planned to fly it EXCLUSIVELY. Sure, I hop from my 150 to my 172 all the time, even on the same day. No biggie. But this plane is way different.

That system is amazing. I had a chance to fly a Phenom 300 with the G1000 and it was very cool!

Great post!

Thanks, but I think this is one of those age old questions:

1. Would you rather live your life eating bread and water only, never knowing what steak tastes like;

OR

2. Would you want to live your life eating bread and water only, then try a steak, even though you knew you would go right back to bread and water only?

Which is why I cursed the owner. I called today (and last night). He said "did you have fun?" I just said "damn you, you know what you did." He laughed. He's been trying to get me to do a checkout in that plane for MONTHS.

Exactly. This was not a night checkout. It was getting really late, the 150 we had spent time on (landing / taxi light didn't work, fuse was fine, mechanics told me to swap fuse anyway, no dice, we took off the cowling, holy cow, then finally the G1000 was offered to me by surprise)....

Made me feel like a "real" pilot. The cert says "single engine land" which is why I can log PIC even though I don't have a checkout in that plane. Probably the coolest PIC in my logbook since I don't think the tailwheel or glider was logged as anything but dual.
if its a SEL (tailwheel) you are also allowed to log PIC (sole manipulator) and dual or training received, even if you don't have the endorsement. Glider is a rating, not sure about logging PIC there, but someone will be along soon to lock us on.

Ok, so the "new" C172s only have 180HP and is fuel injected, that's a lot more than the old 150HP or 160 HP.

The 172 (T-41B) I fly is 210 HP.

Welcome to the G1000

if its a SEL (tailwheel) you are also allowed to log PIC (sole manipulator) and dual or training received, even if you don't have the endorsement. Glider is a rating, not sure about logging PIC there, but someone will be along soon to lock us on.

I just looked. No he did not log PIC for tailwheel, only dual. I flew a lot but didn't land. It was a 1 hour introduction to taildragger lesson. We even added a tailwheel column to my log book.

Ok, so the "new" C172s only have 180HP and is fuel injected, that's a lot more than the old 150HP or 160 HP.

Welcome to the G1000

Agree but luckily I've been in a conversion kit 180hp lately. If all I had was the 150 then wowzers this would have been fast.

When I say lots of HP that simply means I get to TPA before downwind (unlike the 150).

Welcome to the G1000

Yup, them and the famous White Lightning...

I've found the difference between the older 160hp (197x ish) 172s and the newer SPs with the 180 horse to be pretty much a tradeoff, with the old ones being about 200 pounds lighter and carrying less fuel. Now the old o300 models that's gonna be a different story...

I'd sure like to see a T41 up close and personal sometime, you don't see them around too often.

I'd sure like to see a T41 up close and personal sometime, you don't see them around too often.

The Army T-41B Mescalero I have access to is a 1965 model. Over the years it served with a Sherrif's Dept in Mississippi where they added a high lift leading edge wing mod with a stall fence. Somewhere along the years they also added a 17 gallon tank to the baggage area. So 52 gal of fuel in the wings (2x26) + 17 equals a lot of endurance at 10gph. I flight plan 125KTAS at 10,000MSL.

I've taken it from LAS to Maine and back, and this year to Anchorage and Fairbanks and back.

You never know, some year I may be in your area :wink2:

The Army T-41B Mescalero I have access to is a 1965 model. Over the years it served with a Sherrif's Dept in Mississippi where they added a high lift leading edge wing mod with a stall fence. Somewhere along the years they also added a 17 gallon tank to the baggage area. So 52 gal of fuel in the wings (2x26) + 17 equals a lot of endurance at 10gph. I flight plan 125KTAS at 10,000MSL.

I've taken it from LAS to Maine and back, and this year to Anchorage and Fairbanks and back.

That is on my bucket list! I need to get to Alaska next year...

I did the majority of my training in a G1000 172 and took my check ride in it. The school sold it earlier this year.

I'm not too hard to find! I work down at CXY if you're familiar with the area on the line fueling and whatnot. It's a fun job.

This is sad...

Awesome write-up! Did you get to be his first CFI entry?

Very nice website, by the way! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the G1000. YOu will like it more and more. Thats what happened to me. I was and still really am a conventional instrument kind of guy, but the more I fly G1000 the more I really enjoy it.

Good write up.

Welcome to the G1000. YOu will like it more and more. Thats what happened to me. I was and still really am a conventional instrument kind of guy, but the more I fly G1000 the more I really enjoy it.

Good write up.

:yeahthat: I fly it exclusively and don't wanna go back. The sim helped a lot. At first, it was a little overwhelming and I had to remind myself....keep head up and eyes outside most of the time, not glued to the pretty PFD/MFD.

My first experience with the G1000 concept, was in FSX:yes:

Last edited:
I loved my first G1000 experience. And it was quite a switch. I was ok with G1000, just wasn't very confident about the plane. Going from C172 to a Diamond DA40, was a bit of an overload. Constant speed prop, stick, T tail, castering nosewheel. But after 2 hours in a sim, 3 hours in a Diamond, I had no problem finding anything I need on the system. It can get a bit complicated, but only if you make it that way.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Had heading indicator failure on G1000 during my checkout. Asked CFI if it was his shenanigans, but no, he was as surprised as me. Said he never saw it. Lasted about 10 minutes. While that was offline, used compass and GPS screen to get my headings.

I showed the G1000 to a friend of mine. An old Aeroflot pilot, who flew a lot of old Soviet hardware. From AN-2, to AN-24 to Tupolev's TU-154. He said that if he had G1000 equivalent on TU-154, he would have a lot less grey hairs. And then proceeded to tell me stories how in flight, they stuck out of the window of AN-2 and knocked ice off with a crowbar, in flight. Good old Soviet anti-icing!

Last edited:
I loved my first G1000 experience. And it was quite a switch. I was ok with G1000, just wasn't very confident about the plane. Going from C172 to a Diamond DA40, was a bit of an overload. Constant speed prop, stick, T tail, castering nosewheel. But after 2 hours in a sim, 3 hours in a Diamond, I had no problem finding anything I need on the system. It can get a bit complicated, but only if you make it that way.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Had heading indicator failure on G1000 during my checkout. Asked CFI if it was his shenanigans, but no, he was as surprised as me. Said he never saw it. Lasted about 10 minutes. While that was offline, used compass and GPS screen to get my headings.

I showed the G1000 to a friend of mine. An old Aeroflot pilot, who flew a lot of old Soviet hardware. From AN-2, to AN-24 to Tupolev's TU-154. He said that if he had G1000 equivalent on TU-154, he would have a lot less grey hairs. And then proceeded to tell me stories how in flight, they stuck out of the window of AN-2 and knocked ice off with a crowbar, in flight. Good old Soviet anti-icing!

Speaking of failures, the only thing I've encountered inflight was a faulty oil pressure gauge. I was on my way back to FRG from Block Island. This was on one of my early X/C flights in the G1000 a couple of years ago.

In cruise, I made a quick scan of the engine instruments on the MFD and noticed it was below the green! I kept an eye on it and a few minutes later, it started dipping into the red (oil temp stayed in the green).

Since I was very new in the G1000 and was just getting back into the cockpit after a ten year hiatus, I decided to make a precautionary landing. I was directly over East Hampton airport HTO, so I landed there. Turned out to be a glitch.

Other than that, no issues! I also love having TIS to help guide me in spotting traffic.

The only thing I don't really like is the "ball"! I prefer the standard inclinometer much much more:yes:

Last edited:
Other than that, no issues! I also love having TIS to help guide me in spotting traffic.

I flew it in Hudson SFRA. TIS was going bonkers. Other than that, great system. A helicopter got a bit too curious somewhere else and followed me close. So TIS told me that he was still there.

I have a T182T with a G1000. Learned on a 172 with a six pack. Love them both. The issue with loss of the heading in the G1000 has happened to me three times. All times were in flight and the problem is a communication issue with the AHRS. It lasts about five to ten minutes and then seems to resolve itself. The first time it happened was at the same moment I was getting kicked out of flight following. Really ****ed off ATC when I told them unable to switch because of the problem. A minute later left flight following and landed without problems. The HI came on line in down wind. Second time was in a cross country, and just dealt with it. The last time was during some night practice in the pattern, and did about six or seven landings that night, about hlaf were without the HI and it was good practice.

The HI problem however demonstrates the achilles tendon with the glass cockpits: electronic failure occur without warning and can mess you up if you are not prepared to deal with them.

Doug

There was a software patch for the loss of communication timers, I believe. Happened to one of the CAP G1000 T182Ts here once, if I remember correctly.

I was always suspicious that it was RF interference when transmitting on certain frequencies, breaking the link and the protocol didn't wait long enough for its recovery mechanism to kick in, or a bug in the recovery until a forced bus reset, just from prior experience with having seen similar problems and how they got "fixed".

Yup, them and the famous White Lightning...

I've found the difference between the older 160hp (197x ish) 172s and the newer SPs with the 180 horse to be pretty much a tradeoff, with the old ones being about 200 pounds lighter and carrying less fuel. Now the old o300 models that's gonna be a different story...

The other 172 that I fly - according to the POH - has "long range tanks" which hold 26 gallons per tank. After it was made, they did the 180 hp conversion to this old 1980 Skyhawk.

So the night I flew the G1000 (a 2007 Cessna 172SP with 180hp) I saw "26" listed on the sticker when I climbed up to check fuel. I said to the CFI "oh so this has long range tanks." He said "no".

Is that because:

1. The new planes burn more GPH

2. My old 172 it was only "long range" for when it DID NOT have 180hp and therefore used to burn less fuel

???

(or was he wrong)

Awesome write-up! Did you get to be his first CFI entry?

Very nice website, by the way! :thumbsup:

Thanks, there are a lot of things I want to add / change, but for now it is at least up and running. It will take a while to create YouTube / Flickr accounts, get the photos and videos up, write the backstory of training, etc.

And yeah - thanks for asking - because it rained all day he could not fly with anyone else and I was the very first entry for him..... haven't seen his logbook, it was late at night and we both had to go home, and I did not have my logbook with me but went home and filled out the columns, leaving the "remarks" area free for him. I did "dual" and "PIC" for 0.7 hours.

I see them / him often so I'll be sure to have it with me next time. I had accidentally left it at home because I was working on the new website and trying to catch up on my logbook entries.

Good write up.

Thanks but unless for some reason he knocks $100 per hour off the thing, I may never fly it again. So no "liking it more and more" for me, I can't afford it. And to be honest I do love how simple the 150 is. And cheap. Super cheap. Love that.

This is what I was afraid of. X's showing up on the screen. It was too pretty. At one point I said "I feel like even though it says "GRND" or "ALT" on the transponder area at the bottom, how do I really know it is on ALT?

Basically, using a PC at work and home, having an iPad that fails all the time at the airport, and an Android phone that crashes, I did not "trust" the G1000 to work.

Speaking of failures, the only thing I've encountered inflight was a faulty oil pressure gauge. I was on my way back to FRG from Block Island. This was on one of my early X/C flights in the G1000 a couple of years ago.

In cruise, I made a quick scan of the engine instruments on the MFD and noticed it was below the green! I kept an eye on it and a few minutes later, it started dipping into the red (oil temp stayed in the green).

Since I was very new in the G1000 and was just getting back into the cockpit after a ten year hiatus, I decided to make a precautionary landing. I was directly over East Hampton airport HTO, so I landed there. Turned out to be a glitch.

The only thing I don't really like is the "ball"! I prefer the standard inclinometer much much more:yes:

OMG I hated the ball so much, all those triangles and rectangles. I got so upset I just used hard right and left rudder to see what the ball would do and where it would go. Too many things moving around (numbers changing, lines moving). It made you feel like you were never straight and level un-accelerated flight. In a 6-pack, the needles and balls sort of stay in the same place and you are happy. With this technology if you are 10 feet off your alt (OR LESS) and only a few RPMs off your TACH or airspeed or whatever - it is just a bunch of lines and colors and numbers constantly moving. Almost too detailed.

OMG I hated the ball so much, all those triangles and rectangles. I got so upset I just used hard right and left rudder to see what the ball would do and where it would go. Too many things moving around (numbers changing, lines moving). It made you feel like you were never straight and level un-accelerated flight. In a 6-pack, the needles and balls sort of stay in the same place and you are happy. With this technology if you are 10 feet off your alt (OR LESS) and only a few RPMs off your TACH or airspeed or whatever - it is just a bunch of lines and colors and numbers constantly moving. Almost too detailed.

Yep, I agree. I too, learned to fly in a standard 6 pack 172. However, after getting familiar with the G1000 (still learning a lot about it), I'm really impressed with it and what it does for my situational awareness!

You just have to learn what's important and what's not so important...and how to interpret speed & altitude tapes and not get fixated on the little details (especially VFR). I'm sure IFR is a little different.

This is why the Garmin G1000 PC sim is such a great tool to have on your laptop:yes:

Also, having flown the limited version in FSX many times before using the real thing, helped an awful lot in getting familiar with it;)

The other 172 that I fly - according to the POH - has "long range tanks" which hold 26 gallons per tank. After it was made, they did the 180 hp conversion to this old 1980 Skyhawk.

So the night I flew the G1000 (a 2007 Cessna 172SP with 180hp) I saw "26" listed on the sticker when I climbed up to check fuel. I said to the CFI "oh so this has long range tanks." He said "no".

Is that because:

2. My old 172 it was only "long range" for when it DID NOT have 180hp and therefore used to burn less fuel

???

(or was he wrong)

I think he was right, from the standpoint that I believe all post-restart 172s hold 53 gallons. That must have been an option back in 1980.

This is what I was afraid of. X's showing up on the screen. It was too pretty. At one point I said "I feel like even though it says "GRND" or "ALT" on the transponder area at the bottom, how do I really know it is on ALT?

Basically, using a PC at work and home, having an iPad that fails all the time at the airport, and an Android phone that crashes, I did not "trust" the G1000 to work.

I am not familiar how G1000 is implemented on other aircraft other than Diamond. On Diamond, the transponder is Mode S, and it's also auto sensing. No need to switch it to ALT when you are in the air.

:lol:

Yes, I found that going from the G1000 to steam gauges makes you feel like you're really good. Those analog instruments are really good at hiding all those minor imperfections and make you think that you actually are holding your altitude or whatever very well. This is one of the areas where with the G1000 you need to do some filtering in your mind, and not try to chase perfection because you will drive yourself crazy. I also hated the ball in the G1000 when I first used it (just a tiny little bar). And I hope someone showed you the rate of turn indicator? That is also a little strange at first but quite intuitive once it is pointed out.

As for failures, I did fly in a 172 with one of the first G1000 installations, and it had some of that flaky behavior that others have spoken of. Mine has been really good though, with absolutely no problems so far. No glitches or anything. I had to replace the backup battery but that has been it. My G1000 installation has three sources of power: Alternator, Main battery, backup battery. And if all three fail, you still have the traditional compass, analog airspeed and altimeter and a vacuum powered AI.

12585.jpg

I am not familiar how G1000 is implemented on other aircraft other than Diamond. On Diamond, the transponder is Mode S, and it's also auto sensing. No need to switch it to ALT when you are in the air.

Technically it's supposed to be on, when in motion on the ground now, per AIM. :)

Those with auto-sensing transponders are generally just ignoring the guidance.

Is that because:

???

(or was he wrong)

As far as I know, the restart models are 26 total in each wing, no options for long range/extended tanks, whatever you want to call them. The earlier ones had the luxury of that option because Cessna didn't stuff the airframe with 200 pounds of crap. That's 33 extra gallons...now granted you wouldn't have that much extra fuel to play with in a expanded tank situation, in something that burns 8gph that gives you longer legs and more options.

The weight difference between the o320 and the io360 is about 15 pounds in most applications.

Back