First night flight!

tangopapa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
tangopapa
After several weeks of scheduling and scrapping due to both weather and schedule conflicts, I was finally able to go on my first night flight. I thought I had an idea of what to expect, but the aesthetic component of flying at night really exceeded my expectations. It was absolutely beautiful. The moon was so full and bright it almost felt like cheating.

We flew over to MSN and did 8 stop and go's. A couple times we had to make short approaches due to incoming traffic. It was excellent experience (and fun) putting the "brakes" on and cutting a very short base and final. After the last landing, we went to the practice area to do some air work. West of the airport, with the glow of Madison's lights behind us, I was amazed that I could see and point out every city in my field of view, a couple of which were at least 40-50 miles away (Dodgeville to the southwest and Wisconsin Dells to the north, for those of you familiar with the area).

My instructor pulled the panel lights off and had me do a couple 360 steep turns and a straight ahead power-off stall. After that we did some unusual attitudes recovery, which I really enjoyed. And then it was time to go home. I reluctantly turned the plane back to C29. It was a kick to key up the runway lights. Even though I knew how it worked it made me feel like a little kid. After landing, my instructor told me "You make good landings" as I taxied off the runway. Cherry on top of an awesome evening.

My biological clock trends toward late nights and usually I feel my focus sharpening as the sun goes down, so it wasn't surprising that I had felt in control and not overwhelmed throughout the evening. But I really didn't expect I would feel so "in sync" the whole time. Definitely a positive experience to carry over into the rest of my training, and nice to be able to compare to my daytime flying.

I wound up with 1.5 hours of night in my logbook, and I have another lesson scheduled for next Thursday. This one goes with my solo flight as two that I will never forget.

Night flying is a lot of fun.

Sometimes you can see so far it gets disorienting. As in "that can't possibly be Sacramento over there" when it's 50+ miles away.

Sometimes you can see so far it gets disorienting. As in "that can't possibly be Sacramento over there" when it's 50+ miles away.

Yeah, I can see how that could pose a problem...

If you fly out west on a dark night, auto-kinesis can really play some tricks on you.

Was on a flight at 9500 well above all terrain, no moon. Stars were so bright that they started to appear identical to car head lights below moving in the mountain passes (the stars appear to start moving just like cars giving sensation you're too low). Must have checked altitude a dozen times on that flight.

Just don't try traffic avoidance maneuvers on Venus. It's been done....

It looks remarkably like a landing light coming right at you.

I had my first night flight a couple weekends ago - I've got to agree on it being amazing! It was actually a little distracting coming back from our night cross-country as I just wanted to keep looking out the side windows at everything below @_@

I'm a little sad that I've got my required hours for PPL done. Wish I "had to" do it longer.

Night flight is wonderful.

However, I can put you in touch with a friend who's now had three engine failures and two of them at night...

All three ended up on a runway.

Don't get complacent about glide distances...

Just got back from a short hop kpgd to klal. I love nite flights. However, as much fun as they are you really got to be on top of your game. I triple check and quadruple check everything. Have probably six or seven flashlights, and make sure all my battery operated devices are fully charged. You can never be too careful.

Just don't try traffic avoidance maneuvers on Venus. It's been done....

It looks remarkably like a landing light coming right at you.

:yes:

I've heard pilots call it in to ATC as traffic. No, it was not me! Honest! :rolleyes:

:redface:

Had that happen to me once...was doing a short (40 mile) XC, and got airborne, saw the beacon, and thought "Fantastic..."

So, along I go, fat, dumb and happy and I glance down at the GPS and see that my target is right off my left wing, 10 miles away...Doh...I'd seen the beacon for the airport beyond my intended destination!

You know just a couple weeks ago there was a discussion about a student upset over going out at night with his instructor. I think you fly better after you experience night flight. Personally I prefer it. Smooth air. Can see from one side of United States to the other. ( in Florida anyway) and the plus if you do crash you won't be able to see the ground approach anyway.:goofy:

Had that happen to me once...was doing a short (40 mile) XC, and got airborne, saw the beacon, and thought "Fantastic..."

So, along I go, fat, dumb and happy and I glance down at the GPS and see that my target is right off my left wing, 10 miles away...Doh...I'd seen the beacon for the airport beyond my intended destination!
It's easy to do that with lighthouses and channel markers around here. :hairraise: ;)

Just a quick follow-up... We met the private pilot night training requirements last night with an xc to Milwaukee.

I'm getting closer...

Nice to read all this. I'm scheduled this weekend for my first night flight.

Took me awhile to get comfortable finding an airport amongst a bright city with just a beacon, but when I finally did so, I really started to enjoy the quiet and smooth flying at night. Congrats!

I also felt the night flying was more comfortable. Smoother and seems like I can see better. I said I would fly more at night but having my PPL for over a year now I haven't flown any at night. Really need to get night current again.

Back