First Mission as PIC under IFR

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I need your help, guys. I need to fly from BWI or FDK to DDH next week. I'd come back the next day. First of all, do you have any routing suggestions? I've flown this before with my CFII, but we got majorly re-routed. Another question I have would be, what do I do to help myself with weather avoidance? Any of the planes I fly will have GPS, but won't have a stormscope or NEXRAD uplink. What can I do besides getting a good preflight briefing, good look at the aviation weather on the computers, and calling EFAS? After recently reading an article by Richard Collins about thunderstorm avoidance, I'm afraid of inadvertent encounters with CU. (Collins says to avoid flying IMC, so that you can see the build-ups.)

Thanks!

wangmyers said:
I need your help, guys. I need to fly from BWI or FDK to DDH next week. I'd come back the next day. First of all, do you have any routing suggestions? I've flown this before with my CFII, but we got majorly re-routed. Another question I have would be, what do I do to help myself with weather avoidance? Any of the planes I fly will have GPS, but won't have a stormscope or NEXRAD uplink. What can I do besides getting a good preflight briefing, good look at the aviation weather on the computers, and calling EFAS? After recently reading an article by Richard Collins about thunderstorm avoidance, I'm afraid of inadvertent encounters with CU. (Collins says to avoid flying IMC, so that you can see the build-ups.)

Thanks!

Check the AFD for preferred IFR routes. File and fly those. If none, file direct. You don't get if you don't ask! With the weather the way it is right now, I would avoid most IMC this time of year. I'ts gonna be bumpy and you might get a hidden embed. Get the FA and get on top and just cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuise. I've found the the IR is mostly for getting on top, and getting down below the cloud deck.

For those airports, you're looking either at TEC or Preferred IFR routes. ATC will probably keep you well west of the NY metro area.

Weather avoidance.... experience is the best teacher. If you have no weather avoidance at all, you'll need to know whether TSRA are forecast, and whether they will be isolated or frontal/squall line. If isolated, you try and stay below the clouds and watch for the rain shafts, or you get above the deck and dodge the buildups (turbo recommended). If a line of storms, either stay ahead of the line, or wait for passage.

Some days, you just won't be able to fly at all.

If no thunderstorms in the forecast, then the flight-watch route is probably the best alternative. Flying in those clouds are probably OK but may be a bit bumpy.

Of course, you might get perfect VFR... nah, not a chance.

What you are articulating is exactly the reason I have a Stormscope, and it's exactly the reason I now have XM/Nexrad as well. Those drastically improve my comfort level when a high dispatch rate is required.

Thanks guys! I do have some experience flying in and around CU, which is why I respect their power! As to the preferred routes, there is one from BWI to ALB, but it didn't work before. ALB would be on the way to DDH. Hmmm. I guess I should just file the preferred and ask for direct if they are able.

The trouble with IFR routing is you'll never know what you'll get. Some say, file direct and cuz you're going to get whatever anyway. Personally, I file as close to the preferred routes (either from DUAT(s) or AOPA's flight-planner) so that I can load the route in the GPS (and my handheld) before I call for my clearance. Chances are that the first few part of the clearance are what I filed... that way, I can launch and update the GPS once I'm in cruise. If I file direct, I have to program the whole route while on the ground. For me, that's just too much time with the Hobbs running and a lot of teeth-gnashing for ATC.

As usual, YMMV. 4 to 6 weeks delivery, void where prohibited by law, tax and tags extra.

Take the train.

:)

N2212R said:
Check the AFD for preferred IFR routes. File and fly those. If none, file direct. You don't get if you don't ask! With the weather the way it is right now, I would avoid most IMC this time of year. I'ts gonna be bumpy and you might get a hidden embed. Get the FA and get on top and just cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuise. I've found the the IR is mostly for getting on top, and getting down below the cloud deck.
Actually in NYC and Potomac Tracon space, they simply tell you they havent' the time to refile for you, go get the AFD and file it again.

Check the AFD and file the preferred. It's worth the time.

OK, then. It looks like I'll go ahead and file the preferred.

wangmyers said:
I need your help, guys.
I dispute this claim!
Ben, you've been trained well, and you know what you're doing. :yes:

I recommend, ask no more questions until after you've flown your first IFR flight as PIC. Choose weather conditions you know you can handle. Fly it solo! (If you must take a passenger, take a non-pilot passenger.) Convince yourself that you can do it, and do it on your own. The feeling is indescribable!

(And then come back and tell us all about it!) :D

--Kath

Ben:

Definitely look at the preferred routing. If it's unclear, you can ask. Tracon and Center actually have phone numbers. I've called on more than one occasion and told them I was unfamiliar with an area and would like to know what to expect. I don't make a habit of it, but you can ask if you're really worried.

When flying around the ADIZ earlier this year, with thunderstorms and low ceiling with icing conditions, got the brief from FSS and actually called approach. They don't always have time to assist, but did this time---of course, in the air, they amendend the clearance :confused:

I've also asked them to spell the letters in an intersection more than once when they changed my clearance in the air---when I could get on the radio!!

This will all come together for you. Look at the routes, get a feel for where a reasonable change may be made and get ready to go. Once everything else is done and you can focus on this one issue, call for your clearance. When you get your clearance, you can ask questions if any part is unclear. Put a format on your knee board (or what every you write clearances on). These come in a format. Soon, the formating will become more familiar to you and it will get easier.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Last edited:
Larry Liebscher said:
Thunderstorms, low ceilings, icing, and an ADIZ. Eeeeeeeww.

Not much left off that list.

Yes, that's why I called Larry!! The storms were isolated, but ceilings were about 3,000 feet. Freeze level was just above that, but tops weren't far higher. Fast moving system. FSS suggested I skirt the ADIZ to the east; I had planned west. The weather drove the decision.

After getting the brief, I told FSS of my concerns and they actually called Center for me an got clearance feedback. He told me the problems they were having with ADIZ busts weren't from guys like me that called and asked; it was from the guys that didn't!! One of the best briefings and best service I've received from FSS. Got the promised clearance when I departed, but it was amended by Center in the air; took me right through the ADIZ -- IFR. Also took me right over a restricted area and near Camp David.

Folks in that area sure have my respect for dealing with all these constraints in additions to things like weather.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

ATC in our neck of the woods can be helpful also with weather dodging. Certainly I don't espouse relying on that, but they will frequently call cells for you and give you vectors as needed. If the radar is showing stuff that looks like it will contain imbedded CU, or if you even question it, waiting is a good idea.

Basic VFR rules do still apply to those of us with the IR. Go early to avoid the buildups that can climb to the flight levels. Or go after dark if the storms are fading away and you can clearly see that.

If you can stay where you can see, you are much less likely to bump into a big CU that is imbedded. The nice thing about early with that IR is that you can go when it is pretty thick IMC at ground level, get above it, and get where you need to go before it gets ugly.

Jim G

grattonja said:
If you can stay where you can see, you are much less likely to bump into a big CU that is imbedded. The nice thing about early with that IR is that you can go when it is pretty thick IMC at ground level, get above it, and get where you need to go before it gets ugly.

Jim G

That is great advice. Just getting my wife up early, especially on weekends is a challenge, but the best flying is early in the day.

Thanks, guys! I think "early" will be the byword. I just saw that GARMIN has a new handheld that displays weather, but I think you need the XM satellite stuff.

grattonja said:
ATC in our neck of the woods can be helpful also with weather dodging. Certainly I don't espouse relying on that, but they will frequently call cells for you and give you vectors as needed. If the radar is showing stuff that looks like it will contain imbedded CU, or if you even question it, waiting is a good idea.

Typically, Approach will be more helpful than Center WRT avoiding TRW. And some controllers are far more capable/willing than others. YRMV.

Back