first longish XC coming up - 6W6

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hi all,

Sunday the 9th pray for good weather!! This is the longest flight I've had so far but according to airnav it's only 49.5 miles (isn't it supposed to be 50, with an instructor or without, to "count" towards the PPL?)

tomorrow we are flying to W50 and environs... Saturday 8 flight planning and the 9th off we go!

anything to keep in mind? I think I'll do a practice plan Sunday myself (Sunday 2) and then we can go over it the 8th.

thanks ya'll.

woodstock said:
Hi all,

Sunday the 9th pray for good weather!! This is the longest flight I've had so far but according to airnav it's only 49.5 miles (isn't it supposed to be 50, with an instructor or without, to "count" towards the PPL?)

tomorrow we are flying to W50 and environs... Saturday 8 flight planning and the 9th off we go!

anything to keep in mind? I think I'll do a practice plan Sunday myself (Sunday 2) and then we can go over it the 8th.

thanks ya'll.

Well, it only has to be 50 if you need to count it as X-Country. I noticed that airnav lists Santa Fe at 46nm from my home airport, but in reality with a plotter (and verified by GPS), its actually 49.5 miles. I wouldn't trust airnav. Bust out the plotter, and see if its over 50. Where are you coming from to go to W50?

I fly from JYO. tomorrow we are going to W50 b/c it's short - 2000 feet (no sweat now) and not sure about 6W6, I gotta take a look. he mentioned soft fields also so either it is a soft field or there are soft fields along the way.

woodstock said:
Hi all,

thanks ya'll.
Since this is dual instruction, it would count as x-country training per 61.109 (1) which makes no reference to distance.

Solo is something else -- in order to count as x-country solo you have to satisfy the distance requirements in 61.109 (5) (i) and (ii)

The XC is the greatest part of MY training. Do your planning on your own (it looks like that's what you intend), then the CFI will show you an easier way.

My CFI is really picky about recalculating groundspeed at every checkpoint, time-to-next-checkpoint, and recalculating time-to-destination and comparing to the estimated flight time on the flight plan. My first nav-log had so many checkpoints that by the time I got the math done, I was already over the next checkpoint. After that, I started marking 'visual' checkpoints (to make sure I was still on course and force me to keep looking outside instead of at the E6B) , and 'regular' checkpoints to use for timing.

By the way, I've noticed AirNav doesn't always match with what I've measured either. I think AirNav uses great-circle distances rather than straight line.

Enjoy the trip,
Matt

thanks, good info.

nav-log - can I do this with just paper or should I buy something to make my life easier?

correction now:

XC is tomorrow. I called to ask him if we could move it up b/c we KNOW it's great weather this wkd...

woodstock said:
nav-log - can I do this with just paper or should I buy something to make my life easier?

I pulled and printed this off the internet for free

thanks Bill. I think I might have a draft of that floating around my flight bag. so far I've just used the backside of the weather printouts from FSS (for basic short XCs we have done)

woodstock said:
where were the swear words? what were they? :0

I had a "friendly" reminder to close my flight plan with FSS on it.

Dauntless Software has an awesome free VFR planning sheet.

Link

I use the "A" version (the difference is the order of wind correction and magnetic correction).

When you print it on a double-sided laser, the frequencies on the back are in the right place so that when you flip it up they are right there right-side up. DON'T fold the page to put it on your kneeboard or you'll mess that up.

NickDBrennan said:
I had a "friendly" reminder to close my flight plan with FSS on it.

Now you can place a "friendly" reminder in YOUR plane!

I also use Dauntless - I bought a pad of the ASA nav-log sheets, but I like the Dauntless version much better.

VFR flight planning ? What's that? :rofl:

Have a great time. Don't count it as a cross-country. It will make your life simpler when you try to add up all of the X-C time that counts for a given certificate or rating.

Back