First Long XC after PPL

Yeah, 108F in Phoenix can be brutal. But, it's usually dry. Stay high as long as possible because you're going to feel it during the descent.

I like to use Bakersfield (L45) going north because it's just beyond the mountains and there's a lot of flatland ahead of me after I refuel. I don't like using it heading south because it's close to the mountains and the climb rate with more gas may not be that great. I prefer General Fox or Victorville if I'm not heading into the basin itself.

It's hard for me to imagine having trouble climbing to 5500 or so from KBFL prior to getting to the mountains in a 172 or something similar. It's more than 20 miles.

So here's something interesting that I've seen before but never really understood. Why do they have Airmet Sierra for mountain obscurations when metars show clear skys and 10sm? Is it because there is still haze aloft?

Fog will b gone by 10am. Thats pretty much the norm. If u cant land in pomona, try cable (ccb). Its only 5 miles east but ud b amazed how clear it might b. we call it the cable bubble. Can b foggy all around but vfr at cable

I think the fire is gone. Im looking in that direction as i type and see no smoke

yea it's 60% contained. I was just curious why they still left the airmet even though it's clear?

AIRMET Sierra doesn't mean every mountain is guaranteed completely obscured. It means there is a significant chance in some places. Obscuration is frequently patchy, and very often follows the terrain (e.g., more over high peaks). It IS cause for concern, but I've flown many times around the Bay Area VFR with local AIRMET Sierra for mountain obscuration in effect. It's not too unusual that the mountains to the west are topped north of OSI VOR, and it's clear south.

And as a private pilot, it's perfectly legal to overfly the obscuration, provided the tops aren't too high. You'll want some assurance that there will be holes on the other side, or that you can turn away from the mountains to escape if you need to.

The other day in Phoenix the DA was around 7000 feet. Nothing to be scared about, but be smart about it. There are few (none?) runways in the area less than 4000 feet.

The other day in Phoenix the DA was around 7000 feet. Nothing to be scared about, but be smart about it. There are few (none?) runways in the area less than 4000 feet.

Yes I know I've been keeping an eye on it. ideally I would leave at sunrise but the fog in the la area is not going to let that happen.

Very thin light fog here at cable this morning. Looks like bracket is socked in real good. The fog here should liftnot too long after the sun comes up

Very thin light fog here at cable this morning. Looks like bracket is socked in real good. The fog here should liftnot too long after the sun comes up

thanks for the pirep I plan on leaving around 1130-1200 or and looks like should be clear by the time I arrive.

Im at ONT right now, fog is burning off here. I can see the mountains to the north. They are 5-6 miles away

Hello all thanks for your help I made it here safely and wow it's so hot here. we got in around 8pm and it was still around 100F. I am going to leave pretty early and double check all my performance charts because I am sure density altitude will be at 5k by 9am.

Even if the DA is that high, even a 172 can be off by 2000 feet. But, do check. If nothing else, it helps you identify a reasonable point of no return.

Even if the DA is that high, even a 172 can be off by 2000 feet. But, do check. If nothing else, it helps you identify a reasonable point of no return.

That's my plan. Yea we should be fine but will be slow getting up. We will be pretty hot until we get up to altitude.

I left lake havasu this time last year in a 172 maxed out with weight. It was 102*. Took quit a bit of runway but finally got off the ground. VERY slow climb:dunno:

Glad you made it ok. If you are comming back this weekend pay close attn to your TFR's. Obummer is chillin in Palm Springs.

I left lake havasu this time last year in a 172 maxed out with weight. It was 102*. Took quit a bit of runway but finally got off the ground. VERY slow climb:dunno:

Glad you made it ok. If you are comming back this weekend pay close attn to your TFR's. Obummer is chillin in Palm Springs.

Yea I've been looking at that I won't be back until Sunday but I hope the low pressure systems don't bring bad weather.

Nice work, hope you have a safe journey back to Sac. And I hope you're planning a doing a full write-up of how the trip went when you return! :yes:

That's my plan. Yea we should be fine but will be slow getting up. We will be pretty hot until we get up to altitude.

Remember to lean on the ground with that kind of DA. In a 172, max RPM at full power, usually during run up. Start the engine half-leaned for taxi.

Remember to lean on the ground with that kind of DA. In a 172, max RPM at full power, usually during run up. Start the engine half-leaned for taxi.

Yea any density altitude above 3k I lean. Thanks.

I am finally home I will write a post sometime today.

Back