First lesson this weekend

Reklats

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Reklats
After watching a couple of the Airventure air shows online before I headed up on saturday, I decided to stop in the IAC building to get more info. 15 minutes later I walked out with my temporary membership card, and have my first lesson scheduled for this weekend.

I'll be flying in a Cessna Aerobat out of Middleton C29 and can't wait. My wife was 110% supportive once she heard that this is supposed to make me a better, safer pilot :) Its the same way I sold her on getting my Instrument rating. I'll post a follow-up after the lesson.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Have fun. It WILL make you a better pilot. Eat sensibly before you go. No greasy foods, not big meals, don't fly if your sinuses are plugged up. It is WAY fun!

I decided to stop in the IAC building to get more info. 15 minutes later I walked out with my temporary membership card, and have my first lesson scheduled for this weekend.

Congrats. Then I'm sure you heard that there's a contest at Oshkosh at the end of the month. Volunteering is a great way to meet a lot of experienced folks, and learn about acro - even if you don't end up getting info competition. And you'll also see that competition is laid-back and a big hang-out with good buddies and lots of airplane talk and and of course some flying. People who have no experience with it seem to think it's some serious thing where super-hero pilots are highly competitive with each other and beat the hell out of the airplanes they are flying. Not true at. It's like golf. It's all for fun, and you're competing with yourself and doing it for the challenge. Great camaraderie too. There are categories for all skill and a/c performance levels...even the mighty Aerobat. :) And you can compete as a rank beginner with a safety pilot. Lots do. It's a "club" you admit yourself to. You just gotta do it and not take it or yourself too seriously. If you do, it just ain't fun. Have fun!

That first lesson was a blast! Have an awesome time!

First lesson yesterday was awesome! We did spins, aileron rolls, loops and a couple of snap rolls.

I had never done a spin before, and it was not what I had expected. I'm not sure what I thought a spin was like, but it was defiantly a good thing to experience in a controlled environment. Using opposite rudder to stop the rotation seemed natural enough, but with the nose pointed straight down and the plane picking up airspeed, it's hard to remember/force yourself to push forward/let go to break the stall.

I felt pretty good thru the stalls and aileron rolls. Started to feel a little uneasy when we started doing loops. I'm not sure if it was the loop itself, or if it was a cumulative effect. The feeling lasted until well after we landed, but started to feel more like I was hungry and passed as soon as I ate something. So maybe I need to eat a little more next time.

When you do a loop in a faster plane, do you still push on the shoulder straps, or do you get pushed into the seat? In the Aerobat I definitely needed the should straps at the top of the loop. I'm glad they put the windows in the top so you can look outside. I loved seeing the sky come round to the earth as we pulled thru the backside of the loop.

The Aerobat is a capable little plane, but it takes forever to climb back up to the starting altitude (we started everything at 4500 MSL ~3500 AGL). But it's hard to beat the price ($100/wet), $42/hr for instruction, and it's only 30 minutes from where I live. Next closest place I could find is 2 hours away.

I scheduled my next lesson for Saturday before I left, and the book I ordered should be here this week. It was kind of funny, the instructor started out the ground portion by saying "I'm not sure how serious you are about this, but if you are, I highly recommend this book". Turns out it's the same book I ordered! Figures, since it's written specifically for the Aerobat.

Yea! Another addict, um I mean enthusiast :yes:

Where are you flying this mighty aerobat?

Glad you enjoyed the ride.did a ride in an at6 in fla loops ,rolls thought it was great.

@Jeanie Flying out of Middleton, WI, C29. FBO is Morey Aviation.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Reklats,

Thanks for the write-up!
This is the first thing I will be doing after I get my private finished up...
I'm also out of Morey.

Back