First landing at a friend's grass strip in E TN

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
A new friend invited me to fly into his grass strip near Lenoir City, TN. Gorgeous day today, so I did!

On the first pattern I crowded my base leg and totally lost the airport. Once I picked it up, I considered for a few seconds trying to save it, but thought better of it and went around. Next pattern I went a bit wider and it worked out. Later I had a bit of a surprise on my takeoff - first time that's happened!

That's an awful lot of stall horn way too close to the ground for me. You know your plane better then me but that would give me the oh ****s.

Hopefully you didn't need whatever fell out of your panel!

I was thinking the same thing. I keep the speed up a little more than that especially if I still have a turn left to final. But, nice video.

you need a few more intertitles in your intro holy crrrrrrrrrap

That's an awful lot of stall horn way too close to the ground for me. You know your plane better then me but that would give me the oh ****s.

My Sky Arrow stalls at about 40kias. You'll see I have a very large margin over that (about 15 knots) throughout. The stall warning horn - actually a C-150 part# - just goes off way early and is not adjustable.

In fact, it's a bit better than it was as delivered - a small bit of tape helped move the measuring point forward just a bit and lowered the speed at which it sounds by a few knots.

18118320612_6c8c7b5b41.jpg

Hopefully you didn't need whatever fell out of your panel!

Well, that 496 is my plane's sole navigational capability, not counting my iPad. It was not hard to pop it back into place once I had some altitude. My ignition is controlled by two toggle switches. Fortunately - and presciently - they are the kind you have to pull out slightly to throw. Otherwise can you imagine that 496 knocking off both ignitions switches at exactly the wrong time?

My 496 has never fit snugly into that AirGizmo dock - it seems like some of the wires keep it from clicking into place on both sides at the same time. I guess I just have to futz with it some more, and maybe introduce it to Mr. Dremel! Or come up with some pivoting latches to secure it in place.

My Sky Arrow stalls at about 40kias. You'll see I have a very large margin over that (about 15 knots) throughout. The stall warning horn - actually a C-150 part# - just goes off way early and is not adjustable.

In fact, it's a bit better than it was as delivered - a small bit of tape helped move the measuring point forward just a bit and lowered the speed at which it sounds by a few knots.

18118320612_6c8c7b5b41.jpg

Well, that 496 is my plane's sole navigational capability, not counting my iPad. It was not hard to pop it back into place once I had some altitude. My ignition is controlled by two toggle switches. Fortunately - and presciently - they are the kind you have to pull out slightly to throw. Otherwise can you imagine that 496 knocking off both ignitions switches at exactly the wrong time?

My 496 has never fit snugly into that AirGizmo dock - it seems like some of the wires keep it from clicking into place on both sides at the same time. I guess I just have to futz with it some more, and maybe introduce it to Mr. Dremel! Or come up with some pivoting latches to secure it in place.

7214525854_733237dd83_z.jpg

Cover that thing entirely. I hate those stall horns.

Nice airport! Maybe it was just t camera, but the takeoff run looked kind of long.

Nice airport! Maybe it was just t camera, but the takeoff run looked kind of long.

On grass, the little Sky Arrow does take a little while to get airborne.

There is also a very slight upslope, as you can probably see here:

27480920691_affd36f5d8.jpg

Still, I guess I used maybe 600' or so of the 1,700' or so available?

Yeah, uphill takeoffs are fun! So is your first landing on a 3° down sloping runway . . .

I figured you would get in the air pretty quick, but it looked much longer than that, based on my experience at a 2000' grass strip (flat but not straight).

A good short field landing your horn should be chirping on short final.

Nice plane. I like that Sky Arrow.

[snip]

"Say hello to my little friend!" :D

Back