First IR Lessons

DutchessFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DutchessFlier
I guess I should move my IR training posts to this section of PoA. Had my first 2 IR lessons this week...My instructor (same CFII who did my PP training) wasted no time in getting me into just about everything I could do in an hour and a half. Really strict on the pretakeoff work. Dual VOR checks, preflight review. I learned and then, after takeoff, when he declared in the clouds at 700ft, flew a posted IFR departure based on a VOR radial heading. We did all the maneuvers, flew fixed airspeed climbs and descents, fixed rate climbs and descents, tracked turns into and out of headings and VOR's, both level flight, climbing and descending. He had me talk outloud through what I remembered about spin recovery, then put us into a mild spin and had me recover using the panel only, defeated my AI and HI and had me fly partial panel, covered up the G430 and said inop, fly the VOR's and mag compass, then took me into an ILS approach to rwy 6 and then a back course approach to rwy 24. I was amazed when he had me come out of the foggles on the approaches at 400 ft, and there was the runway, aligned with my vertical and horizontal visuals and had me land the plane.
I have to say this was hard work and I was wiped after these lessons. I never had to concentrate so hard on my flying since the first time I set foot in a plane to fly. I refly them all day afterwards, in my head..where was I sloppy, where did I not scan properly, was I fixated on one instrument, or why was I distracted. Man, I am in awe of this, but it makes me love flying 71D even more than before. More to come!

Last edited:
I am hoping to start my IR training at some point in the future as well. I am looking forward to future postings about your training.

How are you handling the ground school part of your IFR training. Are you taking classes, self study or something else?

A proper IR lesson has you wiped out at the end, so good! Keep it up!

All I can say is... wow! I had my first IR lesson Tuesday night and it was NOTHING like that. Just the basics... he started off with ground instruction, basic principles and philosophy about an hour's worth, then for the second hour we went flying. First we figured out the power settings for cruise climbs and descents at 500 fpm, then I went under the hood for about 0.6 hours. Straight and level, turns to predetermined headings, climbs and descents, then turning climbs and turning descents. My rollouts from turns were usually too late and I had trouble establishing accurate climbs and descents due to undercontrolling, but I didn't feel stressed and at the end I didn't feel wiped out at all, in fact I felt even more focused and did one of my best (VFR) approaches and landings in a while. Maybe my CFII doesn't want to upset my applecart too soon? LOL! I'm sure there is much harder stuff to come...

BTW I sure hope my guy doesn't put me in a spin under the hood. I believe they're prohibited in the 182 we used on Tuesday, but I think I'll usually be training in one of the 172s which do have the utility category. I hated spins during primary training, definitely don't want them during IR work. :eek:

DAMON: I am in a 141 program, so the ground is structured in the same way as the flights...stages and written checks, etc. But my instructor has accelerated my airwork based on his experience with me in the plane through my PPL.
LIZ: Lets keep in touch on this as we go! Remember, my instructor flew with me throughout my PP and knows me very well in the plane. I also am flying 71D alot, since it is my plane on the leaseback, so I keep up with the skills (or try to at least) It was dead calm the first lesson we flew, and I was not too bad on my headings, etc. Yesterday was a different story, winds aloft were about 24 kts and that added some work to the mix! He has always had me push the envelope, within reason, with him during my lessons. You're right about being focused...I had to laugh on the way home from the airport, I was reflying in my head in the car and was lost in the flights then suddenly realized that I should be paying attention to the road!
TED: I knew you would keep me honest! BTW I have the route to Williamsport all mapped out! Looks like a pretty good IFR X-C.

Sounds like a plan, DutchessFlier!

I'm still waiting for my second IR lesson. :frown3: Today I drove out to the airport and preflighted, then decided along with my CFII that the winds were too gusty and the ceilings too low. We could have gone, but there was an Airmet Tango in effect and the 172M I'd have been flying feels more like a 152 to me. Chances are I wouldn't have made any progress and just have gotten beaten up.

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KVLL 242035Z AUTO 24015G21KT 10SM SCT025 BKN036 OVC060 07/02 A2968 RMK AO2[/FONT]

Tomorrow looks a lot better in the morning, but I can't get to the airport until late afternoon. By then the ceilings will probably be too low again. :frown3:

KPTK 242338Z 2500/2524 24010KT P6SM SCT025 BKN035
TEMPO 2500/2504 BKN025
FM250400 25007KT P6SM SCT025 BKN250
TEMPO 2504/2508 BKN025
FM251200 22007KT P6SM BKN080
FM251700 19008KT P6SM BKN040

Liz: I see what you mean (15G21)...Hey just because you been flying the hot rod metal, be nice to the 172's. LOL
I am gonna try to fly with a friend Sunday afternoon...wicked WX came through a few hours ago..looks better for Sunday. Of course its a VFR flight, but I am gonna watch my turns and course work and stay alot more precise as if I was flying IFR. BTW, call me Bruce...I guess I should let everyone know my name!

Liz: I see what you mean (15G21)...Hey just because you been flying the hot rod metal, be nice to the 172's. LOL
I am gonna try to fly with a friend Sunday afternoon...wicked WX came through a few hours ago..looks better for Sunday. Of course its a VFR flight, but I am gonna watch my turns and course work and stay alot more precise as if I was flying IFR. BTW, call me Bruce...I guess I should let everyone know my name!
Hi Bruce, nice to meet you! :)

I know what you mean about trying to fly more precisely. I've been doing that for months now, and was getting frustrated since all it takes is a half minute of distraction and I'm 100-200 feet off altitude. That's part of what motivated me to "take the plunge", as you put it.

I didn't mean that the 172 feels like a 152 because I'm used to heavier metal, it's just that particular 172 feels very light and vulnerable. It's hard to land because it floats and floats if you're even a little too fast, so it's easy to get knocked around over the runway. Part of that is its engine is set to idle at almost 900 RPM. But the other club 172 is an "N" that is set to idle the same, but sinks a lot faster if you pull the throttle.

Enjoy the nice weather tomorrow, you'll probably be getting what we have right now. It's cleared out very nicely all over SE Michigan now, and by afternoon even the roaring gales at 3,000 should be calmed down both here and where you are. It should be a nice day for flying. Maybe even here, the local forecast discussion says the ceilings should still be VFR until after dark. I'm crossing my fingers.

Have a fun and safe flight!

Back