First IFR XC

Look, I am an IR rated pilot all of three months, but IMC does not bother me, but the radio work was what got me anxious. My solution is to file IFR all the time. Three months later, I am very comfortable with getting clearances and working with ATC.

I regularly fly into and land within two Class B airspaces - Dallas (Addison and Grand Prairie) and Houston (West Houston). Compared to when I flew into those with FF, it is much easier to file IFR.

I don't have an auto pilot so things get a little busy sometimes, but I am having a blast flying cross country and not worrying about a cloud deck. I enjoy punching holes and flying in the smooth air, which is very helpful with no AP!

I am almost always by myself and I enjoy trimming out my little Sundowner and puttering along my merry way across Texas!

But....I am flying to NY on Thursday to pick up my new to me 95 Commander 114B. Has an autopilot. Had to get one...

The autopilot is your friend. It makes flying in a he system even easier.

I puttered around handflying my Maule around the SE US and almost always filed. Great way to build skills and comfort with flying in the system. Then I built an RV with a 2 axis autopilot that can fly coupled approaches down to minimums. There’s no going back.

Congratulations! Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back