First IFR/IMC trip in the new plane.

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
So yesterday I was going to bring the 185 home from down south, freezing levels were low and weather was also low enough that we opted for take our alternate known as La Quinta Inn :yesnod:

Today the freezing level was high enough that we decided to go IFR, OVC 400 2SM -RA, first time filing in the 185, and IFR we were.

Reports said tops were around 4k, not so much.

We were at 6-7.5 and in it about 80% of the time, spent a bit of time between layers too.
Around 6k the OAT was +1C, ATC asked us to climb to 7.5 and were told that they had reports of negative ice, sure enough climbed on up, just water with the OAT sitting stead at +1C.

The weather started to clear as we got home with broken layers stack up, but ceilings at a healthy 1500ish.

I didnt buy the 185 for IMC work, as you can tell from my undercarriage, but it sure is nice to be able to /G yourself back home.

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    582.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 60
Wouldn't want to pick up ice with that configuration,good report ,good flight. Enjoy the airplane.

PAINFULLY SLOWWWWWW!!

Thanks for the pics. I was going to fly again today since at first it looked as if there was a good chance at IMC, but the ceiling was too high for it be be worth spending the $$$ to launch.

KHFD 221253Z 02010KT 10SM OVC016 12/09 A2999

Anything higher than 800 (preferably 500) just isn't worth spending $$ to fly in, without a destination in mind.

Sounds awesome. TAS?

TAS was 125KTAS, that was at 22/2400, as you can see on the EHSI we were clocking 122kts over the deck, not the best I've done but not the worst ether.

Thanks for the comments guys.

TAS was 125KTAS, that was at 22/2400, as you can see on the EHSI we were clocking 122kts over the deck, not the best I've done but not the worst ether.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Are you sure? It looks like you are doing just 95 KIAS at 24 squared, which seem more like 105-110 KTAS at 6500 ft

Are you sure? It looks like you are doing just 95 KIAS at 24 squared, which seem more like 105-110 KTAS at 6500 ft

Yep, that pic isn't the best for that one.

She always been at, or a hair from, book speed.

Last edited:
You were probably in some sinking air when that pic was taken.

But KPTD? Upstate NY? I'm surprised anyone was out in those clouds today in a non-deiced NA single. I saw icing airmets starting anywhere from 6000 to 8000 over the whole area, and turbulence airmets to boot. Tops, at least in VT, up around 150. During a break at work I was dreaming about going up and shooting approaches at Burlington, but they'd have been using 33 and all the IAFs on that side are up around 6000 or 7000. Then coming back into Montpelier on the ILS (with a good tailwind) you have to be at 5600. With a freezing level somewhere around 6000, that's too close to ice for comfort for me, I would have scrubbed even if I could have gotten away.

But maybe things weren't quite as bad further west. :dunno:

You were probably in some sinking air when that pic was taken.

But KPTD? Upstate NY? I'm surprised anyone was out in those clouds today in a non-deiced NA single. I saw icing airmets starting anywhere from 6000 to 8000 over the whole area, and turbulence airmets to boot. Tops, at least in VT, up around 150. During a break at work I was dreaming about going up and shooting approaches at Burlington, but they'd have been using 33 and all the IAFs on that side are up around 6000 or 7000. Then coming back into Montpelier on the ILS (with a good tailwind) you have to be at 5600. With a freezing level somewhere around 6000, that's too close to ice for comfort for me, I would have scrubbed even if I could have gotten away.

But maybe things weren't quite as bad further west. :dunno:

I forgot that was on my EHSI, normally I take that stuff out for posting :D

Yeah, I was a little concerned, after briefing and looking close at my routes I found I had a few outs, the PIREPS were neg ice well above 7k, so I went. The OAT just stuck at +1C from 6k on up to my highest altitude of 7.5, it was wet but no ice.

This was a relocation flight, had my stec fixed down south and was going back home, after staying a extra night for worse condition yesterday. Had it been a flying to fly kind of flight, I might have gone up later when the cigs around my area and my new favorite lake were at 2k ish, but I wouldn't have ventured much further just for fun.

I forgot that was on my EHSI, normally I take that stuff out for posting :D

Yeah, I was a little concerned, after briefing and looking close at my routes I found I had a few outs, the PIREPS were neg ice well above 7k, so I went. The OAT just stuck at +1C from 6k on up to my highest altitude of 7.5, it was wet but no ice.

This was a relocation flight, had my stec fixed down south and was going back home, after staying a extra night for worse condition yesterday. Had it been a flying to fly kind of flight, I might have gone up later when the cigs around my area and my new favorite lake were at 2k ish, but I wouldn't have ventured much further just for fun.

Yep, yesterday was definitely worse. Glad you made it home safe and sound. FWIW +1C on the OAT would have made me nervous as heck. My OAT was reading +3-ish when I started picking up ice last May over the same area near the tops. I just don't trust these gauges to be that accurate, plus the probe might be a couple degrees above ambient depending on where it is on the airframe. Too close for comfort for me. But I'm glad it worked out for you.

Back