First Handgun

david0tey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Fox-Three
I just took my concealed carry safety course yesterday and am in the market for my first handgun. I just turned 21 so now all I need is the piece of paper from the county clerk and I will be good to go. I'm looking for a handgun in the high 300's or low 400's range that would be easily concealable for everyday carry. I'm pretty much set on a 9mm but I haven't decided which one yet. I would like a safety just as a precaution since it is my first handgun. I have looked at the Ruger LC9 and am leaning towards that. Any gun owners have any advice for a first time buyer?

If you're planning to carry on your person rather than just throwing it under the seat of the car, many considerations come into play. Weight, heft, location, balance, access, concealment are all important. The best shooting guns may not be the best for conceal carry and vice versa.

Find some local experts (gun ranges and shooting teachers are logical places to look) and get some opinions on the subject. I carry a holstered five-shot S&W snub .38 or or pocketed Keltec 9mm most of the time because they're light and don't pull down my britches. Woudn't want to enter a match with either, but my goal for a carry piece is to stop a threat and I think almost anything with a big bore will achieve that objective if you pull the trigger enough times.

I just took my concealed carry safety course yesterday and am in the market for my first handgun. I just turned 21 so now all I need is the piece of paper from the county clerk and I will be good to go. I'm looking for a handgun in the high 300's or low 400's range that would be easily concealable for everyday carry. I'm pretty much set on a 9mm but I haven't decided which one yet. I would like a safety just as a precaution since it is my first handgun. I have looked at the Ruger LC9 and am leaning towards that. Any gun owners have any advice for a first time buyer?

Which is better, high wing or low wing?

It's the same answer when it comes to handguns. The first one you buy will not be the one you end up carrying. The only way to know is to carry, and the only way to carry is to get one. Some people want at least a .40, some at least a .45. Some are fine with a .32. Are you going to carry on your hip? Shoulder harness? Do you want a revolver, or do you want a pistol?

The answers are different for everyone.

Look at the Taurus revolvers. Not as sexy as a semi-auto, but much more likely to go boom the first time you pull the trigger. Tauruses have a good reputation in the mid/lower price market. My experience with Rugers is spotty - two excellent .22's, one completely unreliable 9mm (A P89).

Which is better, high wing or low wing?

It's the same answer when it comes to handguns. The first one you buy will not be the one you end up carrying. The only way to know is to carry, and the only way to carry is to get one. Some people want at least a .40, some at least a .45. Some are fine with a .32. Are you going to carry on your hip? Shoulder harness? Do you want a revolver, or do you want a pistol?

The answers are different for everyone.

As inexperienced as I am with firearms (experienced enough to be safe and competent), I want a 9mm pistol that can stop a threat if the situation were to present itself. The reason I don't want a .40 or .45 is simply because of my experience and comfort level. For me, the smaller the better. With that said, I wouldn't carry a .22 because that's essentially one step above a butter knife. I intend to carry on my hip and concealed in my vehicle while driving which leads me to another question...holsters!?

It's your first gun, go find a 9mm somewhere and shoot the hell out of it.. The ammo is the cheapest, and you can attempt to carry whatever you pick (which will be whatever fits, and whatever you can reasonably shoot)... Go to a range that has a good selection of rentals, and shoot every 9mm that they have.

You can start with a .45 I guess, if you want. But you won't shoot as often. What you need to learn in is a C172, not Fuel guzzling Commanche :)

You will end up with more than one, unless you are just buying one for the nightstand.

Once you figure out exactly what you want, you can find a good price on it by shopping around. Take your time though..

The guns I('ve) own(ed) that match what you're looking for are a Glock 19, XD 40 subcompact, keltec pf-9, and a Taurus 1911. The Glock 19 is my favorite of those.

Ive got a VERY strong negative opinion about the Ruger LC-9.

I'm no expert, but I've carried glocks for 15 years, as well as Bersa, and I've fired a handful of other handguns besides the LC-9. Nothing wrong with 40 or 45 cal... if anything the 45 while being a bigger bullet is a low pressure round and it travels pretty slowly (ive actually seen the bullet travel downrange with the naked eye.. but thats trivia). I currently carry a Gen4 Glock 30SF compact .45. I shoot better with it than I do my full size Gen2 Glock 21 .45 cal.

I recommend you get something that fits your hand well, and has a smooth easy pull.... and I recommend a Single Action Only or Double Action/Single Action style pistol.

The LC-9 is a double action only pistol. The hammer is shrouded, so you cannot pull the hammer back beforehand (cocked and locked)... I'm sure this is meant to be a safety feature so you dont snag it on clothing or purse trying to deploy it.

The trigger pull is pretty heavy, because to fire the gun you have to pull hard enough to bring the hammer back to the release point where it then comes forward, striking the firing pin and firing the round. A single action pistol releases the hammer once its already back, and requires very little force to fire compared to a double action only. I'm sure that DAO/heavy pull is also meant/marketed as a safety feature.

Unfortunately that heavy pull messes with your accuracy. Especially if you are beginner. Especially if you are under stress. Even more so if you have to fire multiple shots in quick succession, as you might do when under stress in a defensive situation.

Two lady friends of mine came with me on two separate range dates, where I discovered they had LC-9's and had a lot of difficulty hitting the target at 15-21 feet. I asked to use the first one's gun and I had difficulty hitting the target as well.. All over the place.. Not grouping. I shoot 3"-5" groups at similar distances with my glocks, depending on if I'm double tapping or doing some other multi-shot drills.

In both cases, I let the ladies use my glock (Single Action only) and they shot much better, with decent groupings considering this was their first or second time at the range. We did some stance and technique instruction as well, but the weapon used was the biggest factor in accuracy.

Based on my experience, and observations of others, the only thing I would use an LC-9 for would be a point blank contact belly shot, but if your threat is that close to you, you have already failed miserably.

I'm not going to tell you to go get a $600 glock. But I will unequivocably tell you dont get the LC-9, and for a novice shooter, I'd be hesitant to recommend a double-action only pistol for real life defense.

If you plan on concealing, buy this: S&W M&P Shield.

It will probably be on back order. Outstanding gun though. I've fondled one, but haven't gotten to shoot it. I know a lot of people that have though, and they all loved it. This is one of the rare cases I will recommend something I haven't shot myself, but I've done a lot of research on this gun and have heard from trusted friends that it lives up to the hype.

Really, check this gun out.

I always liked the feel of the LC9, feels great for a small gun. Besides that though, I haven't been real impressed with them.

Last edited:
Look at the Taurus revolvers. Not as sexy as a semi-auto, but much more likely to go boom the first time you pull the trigger. Tauruses have a good reputation in the mid/lower price market. My experience with Rugers is spotty - two excellent .22's, one completely unreliable 9mm (A P89).

I just bought my first handgun a week ago and it was a Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm. I plan on shooting it on my next week off. Everything I've read about them is good. It's no Glock but it's about 100 bucks cheaper as well.

I like both my Glock 26 and my Kahr CM9. Both bullet launchers fire 9mm and do so well. I like the G26 a bit better since the trigger is better and the breakdown is much more user friendly.

However, when it comes to being able to conceal 7 rounds of 9mm, the CM9 wins hands-down. Nice to known that I have a last resort to resolve an unanticipated interpersonal conflict that I had no other option to exit.

Please, Please, do not fall into the camp of a gun with a "safety", unless of course you're talking about the 1911 platform. If you will be carrying it, and God forbid have to use it one day to defend yourself or your family, having a gun with a safety CAN be a deterrent when seconds count.

When the stinky hits the fan and your adrenaline in pumping and everything is a blur, you likely will not remember about the safety and the gun will be as good as a wrench. In time of crisis, the less steps to a solution, the better. I am sure there are some that will oppose what I said but to each their own :yikes:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I too have not been happy with my Rugers. They make a great .22 but the pistols for me have been a different story.

If you are going to invest in a gun, get one that is worth hanging onto. I have bought cheaper pistols only to wish I had paid a bit more for something that better. I have had great success with my Sigs and Kimbers. Glock makes a good gun.

Some ranges will let you rent them for a session. Try them out. You will be surprised how different they feel in your hand.

Ammo has been getting expensive and will continue to do so. The 9mm is definitely cheaper. I prefer a .40 for PP. if you intend to use your weapon for CC, you should also consider the holster and how you intend on carrying. Depending on the type of CC holster you prefer will also have an impact on the size of the gun that works.

my vote goes to the .45ACP 1911-A1 in stainless by springfield arms.

Attachments

• 1911A1 kit 1.jpg
    1911A1 kit 1.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 56
Interesting timing... Karen is considering many of the things you're asking about...

Okay, first things first...

Concealed Carry is a lifestyle change. It's also a gut check of your opinions on a lot of things, life, death, etc. It's not to be taken lightly. Only you can decide if you are trained, and able, to wield deadly force. You also know from your class that there are far more situations where deadly force is not required than when it is.

Think hard about it. Can you decide NOT to shoot? And can you decide when you MUST shoot?

Enough said.

Knowing that a gun is for concealment, changes the options more drastically than say, buying for home defense.

A couple hundred bucks, even in today's political insanity and panic buying, still gets you a good quality shotgun. :)

Next up, you're 21. Are you attending a school campus? Have you looked into whether or not you're even allowed to carry where you spend the majority of your daily time? Just checking. Nothing as useless as money spent on a carry gun when you can not carry.

Budget security into your decision. Cars are not secure. How will you feel if your firearm is stolen and used to kill someone? Be responsible. Make sure it's always locked up with quality security gear.

If you have kids around, Ever... Ever... Ever... you MUST secure the firearm completely whenever it's not on your body. A $60 gun lock box is crap for keeping someone from stealing it (they'll just cut the cable with bolt cutters and take the box away somewhere else to break into it later), but if it keeps prying little fingers from handling your gun, it's doing its job. Kids will find firearms wherever you hide them. Do not believe they won't. If you have to, disassemble it and lock up the parts separately.

9mm is a good all-round option for most beginning shooters. It's powerful enough to use for defense and actually stop someone, but doesn't have unmanageable recoil and other things that make you work very hard at learning just to shoot. What's your shooting background? Will this be your first handgun? Fired some rifles and shotguns with family maybe? Handguns are a bit of an art of their own. To really learn what you like in a handgun, you have to shoot them. What feels great in one person's hand, won't necessarily in another's hand.

I recommend spending time and money at first on instruction, range time, and find a range that has a decent rental gun selection, or find folks you know or can get to know who'll let you shoot their stuff. Here's why.

A gun for target shooting at the range doesn't have to be small. It doesn't have to be reliable. It doesn't have to do anything but shoot, and as you get better, it has to be accurate. Almost any handgun in the market is accurate, but many to a novice shooter will seem not to be. Why? Size mostly. Aiming a small pistol is by nature, harder than a big one. The distance between the rear sights and front sights is shorter. But, for concealment, you may have to learn a smaller gun. In fact if you truly get into "EDC" or everyday concealment, you may need to be proficient with and own more than one weapon. What conceals well in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt may not conceal well in a tuxedo. Or running shorts. If you see what I mean.

However, you will be surprised by how big something can be that can be concealed. Lots and lots of folks conceal medium-large guns every day of the week. They've modified their clothing choices and lifestyle accordingly. A firearms instructor I know has two carry guns, a Glock 19 which is almost every day, and a Ruger LCP. He doesn't like or trust the LCP *as much* as his Glock, but sometimes he can't get the Glock concealed.

And that leads to the next point...

You want any concealed weapon to be one that a) you trust explicitly and b) you shoot well. If you shoot a Glock 19 better than say, a baby Glock... You should be carrying the 19. And as far as trust goes, I know folks who won't carry a pistol until they've fired at least 500 rounds through it, often more, so they know every single quirk it has and that it "always goes bang" with their chosen defense rounds. It must be as comfortable for you to use and you must know it well enough as your favorite pocket knife. One handed. In the dark.

Okay, taking some stuff from your posts...

Safeties: Your number one safety is between your ears. If you are not firing the weapon, your finger is off the trigger and outside of the trigger guard, period. Always. If the weapon isn't in your hand it's in a holster that protects the trigger guard completely. If nothing can get in the trigger guard, the weapon can not be fired.

Here's the downside of manual safeties. Take a defensive weapons course if you can afford it. When the human body does an adrenaline dump under stress, the very first thing to go is fine motor skills. Manipulating a safety while making a clean draw and presentation toward a serious enough threat to you to require deadly force, can be difficult, depending on the safety. You must practice. Racking a slide is also often not possible if you've already started shaking. Seriously.

You want simplicity. You draw it, finger off the trigger, with a proper draw, so you don't muzzle yourself or anyone other than the threat, and you squeeze. The vast majority of self-defense draws happen at less than 21'. Further away than that, you can't guarantee deadly force was necessary and you can probably RUN away. You're not a cop, and you're not going to take up a cover position and fire across the street. Just RUN.

Now, even at 21', an attacker can close that gap in 2 seconds. You MUST practice draws from concealment, and firing accurately enough until the threat is neutralized, check the condition of yourself and your weapon, LOOK AROUND to both break the tunnel vision and the shock that you just had to shoot, because 60% of street attacks are by more than one assailant (his buddy is about to hit you from behind with a baseball bat to avenge his brother you just shot), and reholster without looking to keep your eyeballs up and maintain situational awareness.

Sound like a lot of work? It is. If you're going to carry, be serious about it and get defensive pistol training. Do you know how to clear a weapon malfunction and/or reload your weapon with one hand? (Yes, a semi-auto can be reloaded with one hand and a holster. And racked if it didn't slide-lock.)

So... There's some thoughts. The point you're at now is make sure you know how to shoot. I'd want to put at least five different firearms in your hand at a range and see what you shoot best before recommending a specific one. Rentals are great for this. My range rents 30 different handguns or more, at a cost of $18/hr to non-members. What's your life worth? At today's ammo prices, are you willing to buy a couple of boxes of ammo a month and range time to keep your skills up?

Holsters: You're going to go through a few of them figuring out what works for you. Unfortunately holster makers typically don't take them back, so you'll have a drawer with a few eventually. And again, some work well in some clothes while others work in others. I recommend starting with anything that stays strong-side and not getting too fancy. Cross-body draws are a great way to shoot yourself, and shoulder holsters, ankle holsters, small of the back (SOB) holsters and the like are a bad place to start unless you absolutely must have one for your normal dress. Women are particularly challenged in this regard. Men also... If you show up to the park to go jogging in jeans, a t-shirt, an over shirt untucked, just to conceal, you're not going to like your jog very much. Alternatively, you decide to leave the weapon at home because you don't have the right concealment tools, that will probably be when you end up needing it. If you change up your carry position frequently, you must commit to harder training to draw from each, safely. (Cross body also has the natural disadvantage that any attacker close enough to reach you can completely stop your draw by simply pushing on your crossed arm. Again, get tactics training.)

Okay... Understanding the best gun for you is the one you shoot best, I also like the recommendation of the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield. It's a different design than the rest of the M&P lineup and has gotten excellent reviews for a light, single-stack 9mm. They are also, generally impossible to find right now unless you stumble into a store that just got a ship,EMT or you're willing to pay $200 over MSRP. It's at the top of your price range if you can get it from a store that doesn't price gouge. Big box stores are generally being better about this during the recent buying spree than smaller stores, but it's supply and demand. Shop.

Other good options for a beginning shooter to try, IMHO... Are the regular S&W M&P lineup, Glocks of all sorts but in 9mm because you need to shoot and practice a lot at first, and ammo is cheaper...so it'd be the Glock 19, or... If you find you can shoot it with the short grip, the Glock 26... I don't recommend the 40 cal Glocks to new shooters... They're fine, and identically sized to the 9mm Glock frames, but they're a bit "snappy" with recoil and do require a bit more effort to learn to control. Some folks like the Springfield XD lineup, I haven't warmed up to them yet with one exception, we'll get to that in a minute. Kahr makes decent lower priced stuff, and don't count out "wheel" guns. A revolver often conceals very well, but feels different to shoot. Whatever you shoot the best... still reigns supreme.

Our personal thoughts:

Karen and I joined a range. At their normal range prices, you need to shoot twice a month to recover your monthly dues. You won't recover your initiation fee for two years. So you have to decide for yourself on that one. There's also member discounts on gun rentals, and in their store.

Karen found that her hands need a thin grip. She shoots a Glock 19 very accurately for a beginner and didn't find semi-auto actions overwhelming so she skipped revolvers for now. After reading reviews, and holding a Walther PPS, she knows she wants an M&P Shield, as someone else mentioned. However, she also knows she needs to get trigger time in at the range behind a 9mm and learn to shoot. In order to stay in the same "family", she's starting with a S&W M&P 9mm Compact. It's thicker than the Shield, and because its a compact, she knows she will have to put in the range time to learn to shoot it well. When we find a darn Shield, we'll buy it and see if she shoots it well. Luckily, demand is high on them so if not, we'll just sell it off.

Me, I spent a lot of time shooting 1911 models as a kid, but wanted something "tupperware" for durability and price, and striker-fired. My first choice was a Glock, as I'm a good shot with them, etc. But... I knew I wanted to carry, and while Glocks do conceal well, they stubbornly don't do a single-stack for reduced thickness. The local store put a Springfield XD-S in my hand and, the only way to describe it, and you'll know it when you shoot a few different types of handguns, is that for me... It fit my hand immediately. It's as small as the Shield, but chambered in .45 ACP so it's got some punch in a defensive "stop the threat" scenario. But, it does have a downfall... Low number of rounds. I can live with that, but I know I need some serious range time to get accurate with it and I *MUST* do reload drills. I also picked up two extended 7 round magazines for it, but have already found I'm not as accurate with the gun with those and their extended grips. I'm shooting best with the 5 round magazines.

Frankly, I shoot best TODAY with a borrowed Kimber Custom Carry 1911 in .45 ACP. I'm just not ready to blow $1300 on a carry gun that's going to get beat up. I think I can drill myself to as good a shooting with the XD-S as I am with the Kimber. But if not, my bank account is going to take a beating. All those years of shooting 1911s may mean habits that won't go away easily. We'll see.

Honestly, I'm a dead-eye with my Marlin Model 60 and iron sights... but it just doesn't conceal very well. ;) ;) ;) I love shooting that thing.

And for a final thoughts... enjoying it is important. If you buy something you hate to shoot, it'll sit on a shelf and collect dust while you do other stuff. Get something that screams, "Lets go to the range!" and shoot the snot out of it. Look up pistol drills online and challenge yourself. Find instructors or trusted people who'll show you defensive pistol as compared to target pistol shooting. Bad guys don't paint bullseyes on their chests and stand still at 7 yards waiting for you to get a sight picture. :)

Another thing. Find a used 22 pistol. Not for concealing, but for shooting. You can practice 85% of handgun shooting fundamentals on a 22 pistol, and get really good at just shooting, for far far less money than flowing through boxes of 9mm. A half brick of over 500 rounds is $25. Maybe $35 if your gun is picky. That's a lot of basics! Sight picture, trigger control, breath control, practice draws and presentations all the way to firing on the target, reholstering, doing it all with and without a concealment garment, etc. A .22 pistol can let you work on all of that without breaking the bank.

Interesting side note here. If you find you shoot the M&P line of pistols well, S&W makes a .22 pistol. There are also conversion barrels and kits for Glock and some others. Something to keep in mind when shopping. You can feed .22 into your exact carry gun and shoot for pennies and then swap out the barrel and magazine, and go to town with some 9mm.

(Additionally if you get the 40 cal Glock, there are 9mm barrels available for those too.)

I disagree with the SA/DA comments above... You CAN train to shoot a DA revolver from the start, but it requires more effort on the part of the shooter. And many of the striker-fired semi-autos are somewhere inbetween... depending on their trigger reset feel. On many, there's a long take-up similar to a DA and then a place where they tighten up and break like a SA that's already cocked. You can release only to the click, and you're right back at that point where it feels like an SA. Short crisp trigger pull.

Okay, that's enough. Like flying, just go shoot. You'll learn more, faster. :)

Have fun shopping and shooting. Train and stay safe.

my vote goes to the .45ACP 1911-A1 in stainless by springfield arms.

Pretty. Bet it shoots well too.

I *hate* the free Springfield mag holder. What genius canted the mags the opposite direction? LOL! (My XD-S came with that goofy-assed thing too.)

Dad's the "1911 snob" in the family. He just got a S&W Pro series. I both want to shoot it, and don't. If I like it, it'll be the second $1300 1911 that I want.

And then I'll know I'm screwed. ;)

I just bought my first handgun a week ago and it was a Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm. I plan on shooting it on my next week off. Everything I've read about them is good. It's no Glock but it's about 100 bucks cheaper as well.

I do hope the trigger is shorter than the one I shot in .45 ACP. I could have left the range, gone and bought lunch, eaten it, and come back, before that darn trigger reset on that thing. :) :) :)

I knew it was just preference, and I could shoot it well if I tried, but I didn't have the patience for it.

Doesn't mean I didn't put 50 rounds through it anyway... I mean, no one should ever miss out on the joy of .45 ACP going downrange. ;)

The rangemaster came over while I was firing that tiny thing and asked what it was because it was making so much damn noise. Short barreled .45 will do that.

Taurus is weird. They make some good stuff and some utter trash. I can't figure them out.

I carry a Glock G23 .40 in a holster and it hides it well with just about anything that is not tight. When I have to have my sirt tucked in and wearing jeans, I carry my G27 with factory original mag in my pocket and it is fine.

I was not a Glock fan when I first got my conceal handgun licence, but now I would not carry anything else but Glocks. Its grip angle is perfect for me and I love the way it points. SOme people can't stand the grip angle, but to each his own. Try out a G19 and unless you absolutely hate it, you'll eventually come to WANT it :D Just get a Glock and be done with it :wink2:

Glock 19 or S&W M&P 9mm loaded with the heavier 147gr Speer Gold Dots in a Crossbreed Supertuck..

Well, here I go again - grumping. Must be getting old or something.

If you truly want to carry a gun for self protection - as opposed to jewelry and bragging rights and looking macho - then get a 22 Magnum, two barrel derringer.
All you need for protection is a belly gun. No combat sights, no laser, no magazines on your belt, no $200 hand tooled holsters, none of that ego stuff/crap. Kept in your front pocket or on an inside-belt clip it is all but invisible to anything short of a full blown pat down. And unlike a full size handgun it is vastly more likely to be on you if the day comes you actually need it.

True gunfights in this day and age are settled with one shot. I don't need or want sights. If I am far enough away from the bad guys that I need sights I am going to be running the other direction - and even with my being 74 he won't catch me.

Now it you want to talk guns - I love em. Got a safe full. Shot competitive handgun for many years - PPC/Bullseye/IDPA/etc. Great fun.

9MM is fine for self defense, and has advantages in more capacity for the same size pistol, and is generally less expensive which enables more practice which is key to remain proficient.

A semi-compact pistol that is relatively easy to conceal yet is big enough to shoot well and practice at the range. Most of the pistols I would recommend are $100 - $200 more than your budget, new. You may be able to pick some up within your budget used, but that woudl require at decent amount of looking except for a Glock.

I like the CZ line of pistols and carry a CZ-75D PCR, which is a semi-compact yet 15+1 capacity 9MM. It is alloy framed, so a bit lighter, and is an excellent range gun. They may be hard to find in your area, so a on-line purchase (which must go through a local FFL for background check, etc) is what I'd recommend. The similar CZ P-01 is more easily found but has a light rail which some do or don't want.

Other choices, but again may be difficult in your price range:

Sig P228/P229 (used)
Glock G19 (you can find one used in your price range if you look)
Springfield XDm
Beretta PX4
S&W M&Pc

Nothing wrong with the LC9

I have a .380 ruger lcp and my friend has an lC9.

If you can't hit anything with the double action trigger, you need a shooting lesson and a couple boxes of ammo.

The single action triggers are going to be more accurate but you can get very good w the double action if you practice.

My current carry:

a4bfb36b.jpg

It replaced the small frame Glock 40. Like Renjamins, its a .380. Fits nicely in my purse, and in the pocket of my motorcycle jacket.

And please, please, PLEASE, don't ever leave your gun in your car. I take at least one call a month from people reporting that their car, parked in their driveway overnight, was broken into (or the ****at left it unlocked) and along with the GPS and the CD's and their laptop, they found the gun. My attitude changes real quick from, gee I feel bad for you to, Gee, your a f$&%^ idiot that needs to be taken behind the barn and horse whipped.

If you can't hit anything with the double action trigger, you need a shooting lesson and a couple boxes of ammo.

:yeahthat:

haven't put a whole lot of rounds through mine yet, but when the snow melts and it warms up, I'll rig up some targets down by the garage and upset some of the neighbors. :rofl:

As inexperienced as I am with firearms (experienced enough to be safe and competent), I want a 9mm pistol that can stop a threat if the situation were to present itself. The reason I don't want a .40 or .45 is simply because of my experience and comfort level. For me, the smaller the better. With that said, I wouldn't carry a .22 because that's essentially one step above a butter knife. I intend to carry on my hip and concealed in my vehicle while driving which leads me to another question...holsters!?

The.45 has much more stopping power than a 9mm, but your reasoning is sound. Comfort level means a lot with a CC.

+1
My current concealed carry.

My current carry:

a4bfb36b.jpg

It replaced the small frame Glock 40. Like Renjamins, its a .380. Fits nicely in my purse, and in the pocket of my motorcycle jacket.

And please, please, PLEASE, don't ever leave your gun in your car. I take at least one call a month from people reporting that their car, parked in their driveway overnight, was broken into (or the ****at left it unlocked) and along with the GPS and the CD's and their laptop, they found the gun. My attitude changes real quick from, gee I feel bad for you to, Gee, your a f$&%^ idiot that needs to be taken behind the barn and horse whipped.

In my experience if you get something too big you'll not carry it. My daily carry is exactly the same as Wayne. I carry a S&W J frame airweight hammerless 5 shot .38, everyday. It fits easily with whatever i'm wearing, is extremely lightweight and reliable. I'd prefer to carry my glock 30 but its not practical in every situation. 5 shots is plenty along with the additional 6 rounds in a speedstrip in my back pocket.

I carried a pocket automatic for a couple of years. A Beretta .32. I was at the range one day and decided i would shoot it. After removing it from its holster it had so much lent it would not shoot. So now i carry a wheel gun and I ensure its operations more regularly.

Last edited:
A lot to address here:

1-Being a first time gun owner you should really reconsider the revolvers. A nice 4" barrel on a .357 Magnum (which can also shoot the softer .38 Special) will serve a variety of purposes from target shooting to home defense to concealed carry. Revolvers simply have fewer modes of failure for the beginner to worry about. And like the more popular semi-autos they have no external safeties to manipulate.

Personally, I am FAR from being a novice but my normal carry gun is a Taurus .357 Magnum Tracker 4" barrel, 7 round cylinder. This is well within your price range.

2-Everyone, even veteran shooters, who begin carrying concealed goes straight for the tiniest gun first. After a year or two you get more comfortable with concealed carry and realize that you're not going to get outed very often at all. You also learn to dress around the gun. I started concealed carry with a pocket gun P-64 but eventually relaxed and at one point carried a double-stack 1911 Para-Ordnance P-14/45. Tiny guns are harder to shoot accurately and you won't enjoy practice with them. Carry what you can shoot well.

3-Holsters are a dime a dozen. You'll end up with a drawer full of holsters that you don't like. I settled on OWB carry but you might find something else to be better for you.

4-If you are Niflheim-bent on getting a semi-auto then don't overlook the milsurp guns. A CZ-82 is fairly inexpensive, carries 12+1, can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911, is fully ambidextrous and is chambered in the reasonable 9x18 Makarov (yes, that is different than the 9mm you referenced, which is called 9x19 Luger or Parabellum).

5-Whatever you get, PRACTICE! Matter of fact, get some snap caps (A-Zoom) and dry fire a whole lot. Money spent on target practice is better than money spent satisfying some Internet fan boy's brand of choice. Glock, XD, M&P are all capable, but you might find something else to fit you better.

6-Rent before you buy! Make sure the gun feels good in YOUR HAND. Then shoot it and make sure you can handle it. See if the sights are intuitive for you. Make sure your thumb doesn't accidentally bump the mag release (been there, done that).

My first gun that I bought was a Glock 30. It's a double-stacked "subcompact" .45 ACP gun. I used it for concealed carry well using either a Miami Classic holster (with a jacket) or Thunderwear holster. I like .45s, and this worked very well in concealed carry for my typical dress of the day.

Today I have a Taurus 738 for concealed carry. It's a very small .38 and, while not hugely accurate and has significant recoil, I figure it should deter most threats I'd need it for. Plus it fits nicely in my pocket of anything I'm wearing. I prefer the Glock still when dress allows.

Whatever you buy take a sticky and put the last date you fired the weapon on it. Just like flying commit to currency is important. If most people were honest their currency would be WAAAAYYYY out of date and that could be a problem regardless of weapon choice.

The.45 has much more stopping power than a 9mm, but your reasoning is sound. Comfort level means a lot with a CC.

Everyone, even veteran shooters, who begin carrying concealed goes straight for the tiniest gun first. After a year or two you get more comfortable with concealed carry and realize that you're not going to get outed very often at all. You also learn to dress around the gun.

While I understand the idea behind 'carry what you can shoot well' and realize that a larger handgun is easier to shoot and more accurate, I can't see that taking shots past about 10 yards would be a self defense scenario. Also, If you are 'dressing around the gun' so you can carry enough weapon + ammo to fend off the mexican drug cartels when they attack, I think that's taking it a bit too far, you probably should move to a safer neighborhood. (joking a bit here)

The .380 is not as pleasant to shoot as a bigger glock or what have you, it kicks a lot and the double action takes getting used to. But you can drop it in your front pocket, and at sub 10 yards its accurate enough if you practice somewhat regularly.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 36
It's a little on the large side, but I'd take a look at the Taurus "Judge." It will shoot both .45 Long Colt, or .410 shotshells! I kinda like the idea of a pocket shotgun!

Last edited:
My personal home defense pistol is a Colt Series '70 1911 loaded with standard .45 ACP ball ammo. It's a tack driver. I don't do concealed carry, but if I tote around a pistol it's a S&W Model 59 loaded with hollow points or Glaser Safety Slugs.

The minimum I would carry is a .380, but I wouldn't consider using other than Glasers in it.

I used to do a lot of competetive IPSC combat shooting in the day plus lots of close combat/urban warfare pistol training in the Army. My personal preference is for double action/single action autos. I do not like double action only autos. I can tolerate it on the Glock and a couple special Sig Sauer models but I can shoot single action faster and more accurately and I can deal with the hard first round pull (normally I just manually cock a first shot DA pistol anyway like I would a 1911 or a Hi Power.)

I've been toying around with the idea of picking up a Sig Sauer P226 to replace the 59. The 59 is kind of dated.

I like the XDm compact. A bit higher than your price range. If money is an issue, stick with 9mm as your training ammo will be a bigger part of the ongoing budget than the original purchase price.

Revolvers are nice carry. My K-15 from the PD snuggles up nicely to the short ribs, just bulkier than the snub.

A lot to address here:

1-Being a first time gun owner you should really reconsider the revolvers. A nice 4" barrel on a .357 Magnum (which can also shoot the softer .38 Special) will serve a variety of purposes from target shooting to home defense to concealed carry. Revolvers simply have fewer modes of failure for the beginner to worry about. And like the more popular semi-autos they have no external safeties to manipulate.

Personally, I am FAR from being a novice but my normal carry gun is a Taurus .357 Magnum Tracker 4" barrel, 7 round cylinder. This is well within your price range.

2-Everyone, even veteran shooters, who begin carrying concealed goes straight for the tiniest gun first. After a year or two you get more comfortable with concealed carry and realize that you're not going to get outed very often at all. You also learn to dress around the gun. I started concealed carry with a pocket gun P-64 but eventually relaxed and at one point carried a double-stack 1911 Para-Ordnance P-14/45. Tiny guns are harder to shoot accurately and you won't enjoy practice with them. Carry what you can shoot well.

3-Holsters are a dime a dozen. You'll end up with a drawer full of holsters that you don't like. I settled on OWB carry but you might find something else to be better for you.

4-If you are Niflheim-bent on getting a semi-auto then don't overlook the milsurp guns. A CZ-82 is fairly inexpensive, carries 12+1, can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911, is fully ambidextrous and is chambered in the reasonable 9x18 Makarov (yes, that is different than the 9mm you referenced, which is called 9x19 Luger or Parabellum).

5-Whatever you get, PRACTICE! Matter of fact, get some snap caps (A-Zoom) and dry fire a whole lot. Money spent on target practice is better than money spent satisfying some Internet fan boy's brand of choice. Glock, XD, M&P are all capable, but you might find something else to fit you better.

6-Rent before you buy! Make sure the gun feels good in YOUR HAND. Then shoot it and make sure you can handle it. See if the sights are intuitive for you. Make sure your thumb doesn't accidentally bump the mag release (been there, done that).

I tried out a bunch of different ones before I decided on mine. I decided about a year ago I wanted a carry gun but I wasn't in a hurry. In AZ you don't need a permit to conceal so as of right now I don't have the permit, but I will be taking the class for it on the 20th. I'm a good shot, though I'd like to put a couple hundred more rounds through mine before carrying it with one in the chamber. I bought a Sig Sauer P238 a couple weeks ago now. It's a great gun, and I haven't found anything that compares to it for me personally. I wanted something that I could carry on my person instead of in my purse. I would have liked a P938 for the 9MM aspect, but the ability for me to be comfortable carrying it concealed with a far more important factor than the size of bullet that it took. I love my gun, and it's made me feel a lot more comfortable in a lot of situations. Though you can't carry everywhere, it's a good thing to have when you're downtown alone or at night.

735489_10151164214641086_545629533_o.jpg

I like the XDm compact. A bit higher than your price range. If money is an issue, stick with 9mm as your training ammo will be a bigger part of the ongoing budget than the original purchase price.

I bought one in Bi-Tone 9mm a while back. It really is a great shooting gun.. I like the additional grip safety, but that is just my opinion.

If you just go shoot all the popular ones, you will find one that you like. And you don't have to explain to anyone why you picked it.

I wanted a Glock, turns out I didn't after I compared it to some others.. Too bad, it would have been a little cheaper and easy to find mags for.

Back