First grass strip today...

Fun isn't it!! Now go do it in an airplane with the wheel on the backend and you will be even more hooked!!

135' wide! wow, thats a wide runway, strong enough crosswind, just land into the wind! lol

I think the difference in sound was the biggest first impression I had at my first grass rwy. I've only been on a real 'soft-field' a few times, most of the time the grass rwys around here are pretty well compacted and hard baked.

Grass is a blast! Every time you land on grass it's a different experience. Keeps you sharp.

Just remember that grass does not always equal soft field procedure and doing a soft field approach or t/o when not necessary can get you into trouble.

Just remember that grass does not always equal soft field procedure and doing a soft field approach or t/o when not necessary can get you into trouble.
Care to elaborate a bit on that?

Op.. good for you. Keep learning and doing.

Care to elaborate a bit on that?

Op.. good for you. Keep learning and doing.

A lot of instructors teach the soft field as yoke to the chest to start. Problem is, nose high = drag = slower acceration = more runway used.

With grass strips tending to be shorter, there's no reason to increase the takeoff roll unless necessary. Same goes for landing.

Almost had a 182 with 3pax not make it out of 6Y9 because they were doing soft field procedures when not required.

Also, some "grass" strips are actually (hard) packed gravel with grass growing up through it to hold the gravel in place.
Not that I know this personally, of course, but I've heard that it can make for a slightly embarrassing multiple landing the first time you encounter it.

A lot of instructors teach the soft field as yoke to the chest to start. Problem is, nose high = drag = slower acceration = more runway used.

With grass strips tending to be shorter, there's no reason to increase the takeoff roll unless necessary. Same goes for landing.

Almost had a 182 with 3pax not make it out of 6Y9 because they were doing soft field procedures when not required.

Thanks for your input - my instructor said the same. The runway was pretty firm so we did a short field procedure for the second takeoff. It wasn't yoke to my chest, just held back a little to keep the nose light but not off the runway.

Thanks for your input - my instructor said the same. The runway was pretty firm so we did a short field procedure for the second takeoff. It wasn't yoke to my chest, just held back a little to keep the nose light but not off the runway.

Good deal. Should head north to our Labor Day Weekend fly in.

Also, some "grass" strips are actually (hard) packed gravel with grass growing up through it to hold the gravel in place.
Not that I know this personally, of course, but I've heard that it can make for a slightly embarrassing multiple landing the first time you encounter it.

Would that be the same as a bouncy landing? No that you would know of course.

David

Would that be the same as a bouncy landing? Not that you would know of course.

David[/

I have no personal knowledge whatsoever on this subject.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Bouncy would be an apt description, if I did have any knowledge of that sort of thing.

and some grass strips are neither short nor soft

the only thing really different about grass is you have more bugs to clean off the leading edges

Attachments

• IMG_3508.JPG
    IMG_3508.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 20
We've got 3000' of grass. While we didn't put gravel below, the soil is primarily stuff called "rotten granite" which is darn hard. The runway doesn't ever really get soft even when wet in most places. What wet does do is make it slippery! Watch the braking and sideways drift on wet grass.

Back