First gotcha in annual- Piper experts come here

Cherokees tanks leak eventually - you pull them and send them out and its $200 or so - not that expensive in the grand scheme of things owning an airplane

So far it's just gaskets right now.

Rivet leaks show without pulling the tanks. If you didn't know that you had rivet leaks before pulling the tanks, you don't.

I fly a Lance II. If you do SB 1006 please let me know how was it , as I am thinking for a while to get it done and re do the tanks. Do you have to pull all 4 tanks or just inboard tanks? Can you reuse sender units and sight gauge or need to buy new ? BTW I heard good things about Woodstock.

IIRC it's just the inboard tanks to check the spar.

Did this during my first annual with the aircraft a couple years back actually. It was indeed a task! If you read the service bulletin and reference the appropriate chart (page 6), you are supposed to pull all the tanks. There's a few inspections wrapped up into one in this one if I remember correctly. We pulled the four tanks, inspected them, treated the spar with a self-etching primer, and pulled the wingtips and did the same. I actually ordered all of the parts individually using the parts manual, but if I had to do it again, I would order the kits that are available from Airward, Inc. The biggest pain of the whole ordeal was removing the existing flexible fuel lines and replacing them once the inspection was complete. We didn't find any corrosion back there, but it was good to open her up and take a look throughout the wings (as much as we could anyhow). The first couple of years have been maintenance intense...I'm hoping the coming year will be a little lighter.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

I've never been that far from home while day drinking. I bet that made for some good stories.

Korea back in the 70s? Oh yeah, except when the Marines flew in for R&R from Okinawa for the weekend. Just stayed on base that weekend. All they wanted to do is get drunk and fight Air Force guys. :yikes:

Korea back in the 70s? Oh yeah, except when the Marines flew in for R&R from Okinawa for the weekend. Just stayed on base that weekend. All they wanted to do is get drunk and fight Air Force guys. :yikes:

What's wrong with that?o_O

Back